Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: would you choose solitary confinement or general population in prison if you could?
Solitary confinement 140 66.35%
General population (stay with other inmates) 71 33.65%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

09-02-2019, 17:15   #16
Omackeral

The Joy isn't as bad as it was was 8 or 9 years ago. They all have their own cells now and they all have functioning toilets and running water etc. Before that, it was 2 and 3 people to a confined cell with no toilet facilities, it was a horrendous spot. Single cells with a basic tv, small kettle and a bit of head space is better than what came before it, for everyone.
Advertisement
09-02-2019, 17:19   #17
tuxy

With the average cost to house an inmate in Ireland at €100,000 a year I would hope they are comfortable.
(2) thanks from:
09-02-2019, 17:20   #18
rossie1977

I imagine it being something like this..

(2) thanks from:
09-02-2019, 17:22   #19
dar100

Send a message via AIM to dar100
Its not so bad these days environmentally, not one to a cell, some are doubled up. However, back around 10 years ago it was bad, no toilets, regularly 6 -8 to a cell in some parts, and if you unlucky enough to not know someone in the main jail while only in, you were left in the base with around 15 people sleeping on the floor. They came in at 6 and took the mattress off you too. Lol was dog rough in those days.

These days your more likely to be cut up, its more violent, but a little cleaner
09-02-2019, 17:25   #20
kneemos

Was watching a documentary on American prisons and "turning out" as they call it.

Ain't pretty.

https://youtu.be/QKbnWW-4K-A
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-02-2019, 17:29   #21
Sleeper12

Quote:
Originally Posted by noubliezjamais
But it seems like anglophone first world nations (particularly us, uk and ireland) have the worst prisons. Obviously prison isn't good anywhere you go but I can imagine that the prison brevik is in might be more comfortable than Arbour Hill or Mountjoy.
Arbour Hill is totally different to Mountjoy. Arbour Hill houses sex offenders and wife killers. These tend not to be violent, into drugs or troublesome in any way. As a result Arbour Hill is much more laid back than the main prisons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noubliezjamais
Is it true inmates care only about "crimes against the weak" (women, children, elderly involving sex crimes or murder). Also true that few people with college degrees are in there or just bs?

Criminals always like to feel that there's someone worse than them. Armed robbers are looked up to believe it or not. They risk their lives when they go to work. Drug dealers come next on the ladder along with murderers. Then muggers & break in artists. These are sneak thieves. Guys in on baring orders come in next. They never admit that they are wrong. It's always the wife, mother or girlfriend who they terrorised at fault. They'll always say "I don't belong here". Sex offenders hold the second bottom rung with child sex offenders taking the lowest /bottom rung
09-02-2019, 17:30   #22
corner of hells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
The Joy isn't as bad as it was was 8 or 9 years ago. They all have their own cells now and they all have functioning toilets and running water etc. Before that, it was 2 and 3 people to a confined cell with no toilet facilities, it was a horrendous spot. Single cells with a basic tv, small kettle and a bit of head space is better than what came before it, for everyone.
I know some young ladies who spent some time in the premises next door , they affectionately call the Dochas , the Lady-joy.
(2) thanks from:
09-02-2019, 17:36   #23
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper12 View Post
Armed robbers are looked up to believe it or not. They risk their lives when they go to work. Drug dealers come next on the ladder along with murderers. Then muggers & break in artists. These are sneak thieves. Guys in on baring orders come in next. They never admit that they are wrong. It's always the wife, mother or girlfriend who they terrorised at fault. They'll always say "I don't belong here". Sex offenders hold the second bottom rung with child sex offenders taking the lowest /bottom rung
That's all pretty bang on. You can put informants or ''rats'' just above sex or beside sex offenders too.
09-02-2019, 17:36   #24
kneemos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Mad2BeMad View Post
It's not as bad as it's made out to be.
My exs brother done 9years he said life was easy they can rent PlayStations watch tv all night load of junk food good dinners.
Just once you keep urself to urself you'd be grand in saying that I still wouldn't like to go there.
He also said over the years it gradually got better.
I personally think they should hard labour and not treated so well cause majority that go there are scumbags including my exs bro

Hard labour would be Infinitely better than being locked up for twenty hours a day
Advertisement
09-02-2019, 17:37   #25
dar100

Send a message via AIM to dar100
Quote:
Originally Posted by corner of hells View Post
I know some young ladies who spent some time in the premises next door , they affectionately call the Dochas , the Lady-joy.
No it has always been called the Rasher Factory
09-02-2019, 17:41   #26
blade1

Quote:
Originally Posted by noubliezjamais View Post
and didn't say stupid sh*t, you would be "okay"
This could present a problem!
Most are probably in there for doing something stupid so the odds for them saying something stupid would be fairly low I think.
09-02-2019, 17:44   #27
alchemist33

He couldn't really cope with the arrival of new, exciting players like Steve Davis
09-02-2019, 18:11   #28
Vic_08

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2057784545

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2057333310
09-02-2019, 18:11   #29
Richard Hillman

I would take Solitary. Give me a couple of books and regular tv, be grand.
Thanks from:
09-02-2019, 18:25   #30
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Face View Post
I'm taking the 5th, see.

The fifth removed the bit where the State recognised the special position of the Catholic Church.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion