Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-02-2019, 06:28   #511
One eyed Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump Is Right View Post
Here's a thought I had regarding obesity...

Is it possible that our species could evolve and adapt to being a larger creature over time?

It’s certainly one possibility -

I’ve already gotten a head-start on evolution myself
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-02-2019, 07:10   #512
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline

Mod: Radio, ZTest
Quote:

Is it possible that our species could evolve and adapt to being a larger creature over time?

Blue whales are enormous creatures, averaging about 30,000 stone when mature, and yet they can often out-live us humans... (assuming we don't hunt them or destroy their habitat).

On land, the average elephant weighs about 800+ stone... and they can match the average human lifespan in the western world.

Perhaps with an abundance of food and calories available, it could be inevitable that most of our species will get bigger? There is definitely evidence that we are getting taller as a species, and it appears to be happening quite rapidly in relative terms...

Just putting this out there as a thought experiment...

Okay move along now... back to your bickering and finger wagging!!
Is it my imagination or are young lads getting taller?

I notice my generation (early 30s) are taller than my older brothers' generation (40s) but 18-20 year old today are taller than either of us.

Statistically, I mean. One of my brothers is 6'3 and is easily the tallest in his circle of friends, but I see an awful lot of young lads in college who would be around that height.
11-02-2019, 09:15   #513
silverharp

Quote:

Blue whales are enormous creatures, averaging about 30,000 stone when mature, and yet they can often out-live us humans... (assuming we don't hunt them or destroy their habitat).

On land, the average elephant weighs about 800+ stone... and they can match the average human lifespan in the western world.

Perhaps with an abundance of food and calories available, it could be inevitable that most of our species will get bigger? There is definitely evidence that we are getting taller as a species, and it appears to be happening quite rapidly in relative terms...

the problem is a lot of bad health follows obesity , diabetes, heart disease , pregnancy issues, it is certainly not the onwards and upwards sort of evolution.
11-02-2019, 09:18   #514
OnionBelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post
Nope, it's happening. Their protein intake is much higher than that of preceding generations. To them, meat is "just another food" whereas to earlier generations it didn't need to be said that meat was the limiting factor in any meal ie. the item you couldn't just have more of if you wanted more. Kids nowadays get hot chicken for their school lunch as a staple whereas previous groups of kids got ham sandwiches and a bag of (low protein) chips on a Friday. Then when modern kids go home their weight-conscious parents know not to give them big plates of pasta or oven chips, instead giving them meals with more meat. Even kids who live off stuff like oven pizzas and mooju milk get more protein than you would think - previously an oven pizza would have been split between a few kids giving them a small bit of protein but norms have changed so that a young lad would expect to have the whole thing to themselves nowadays. Smaller family sizes and lower meat prices in real terms also remove pressure on the supply side of things. The result is they reach their genetic potential or close to it. I have also read before that "softer" living conditions (eg. warm houses, adequate comfortable rest) contribute to make kids taller.

Last edited by OnionBelt; 11-02-2019 at 09:22.
11-02-2019, 09:27   #515
_Brian

Quote:

Thing is though there is a difference between bigger and fatter

Bigger overall, taller with larger skeletal frames etc is happening, look back at people from 100 years ago and were giants in comparison with massively longer lifespans. Good nutrition and healthcare has facilitated this.

Now, look at obease people, they are just carrying massive wileights of excess stored food as fats, that level of fat composition limits life and health, it invades the organs, the weight wears down joints, higher cancer rates diabetes etc and associated health deteriorations.
Obeasity isn’t evolution, it’s self destruction with poorer lifestyles and shorter life expectancy associated.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-02-2019, 10:10   #516
Wibbs
Wibbed for your pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Brian View Post
look back at people from 100 years ago and were giants in comparison with massively longer lifespans.
Not this again. No, we do not have "massively longer lifespans" compared to a century ago. Through medical science we've added around a decade to our lives, so people who would have made it to 70 a hundred years ago now are much more likely to see 80 and 80 year olds are more likely to see 90. Even two thousand years ago the average life span was considered to be three score and ten, four score if you were lucky. What has changed and shifted the figures is an enormous reduction in childhood mortality, rather than any "massive" increase in longevity in adults.

Quote:
Now, look at obease people, they are just carrying massive wileights of excess stored food as fats, that level of fat composition limits life and health, it invades the organs, the weight wears down joints, higher cancer rates diabetes etc and associated health deteriorations.
Obeasity isn’t evolution, it’s self destruction with poorer lifestyles and shorter life expectancy associated.
And yet a shed load of research has shown that being somewhat overweight is a positive factor for longevity.

Oh and I have no skin in this game on the weight front being thin myself.
(3) thanks from:
11-02-2019, 10:19   #517
silverharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
Not this again. No, we do not have "massively longer lifespans" compared to a century ago. Through medical science we've added around a decade to our lives, so people who would have made it to 70 a hundred years ago now are much more likely to see 80 and 80 year olds are more likely to see 90. Even two thousand years ago the average life span was considered to be three score and ten, four score if you were lucky. What has changed and shifted the figures is an enormous reduction in childhood mortality, rather than any "massive" increase in longevity in adults.
its funny how those stats are often misused, its funny how those stats are often misused, Ive lost count of the number of occasions where I might bring a point that we should eat like our ancestors to clear modern metabolic diseases , only to get some kind of retort about short lives as if everyone just keeled over in their 30’s

for contrast of where "we" have come in a hundred years even

(2) thanks from:
11-02-2019, 10:38   #518
wakka12

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tyrant Named Miltiades! View Post

I notice my generation (early 30s) are taller than my older brothers' generation (40s) but 18-20 year old today are taller than either of us.

Statistically, I mean. One of my brothers is 6'3 and is easily the tallest in his circle of friends, but I see an awful lot of young lads in college who would be around that height.
Yeh theyre really tall. Im 22 and 5'10' and while I dont feel like I stand out as being small I definitely feel within the lower range of 'normal' height
11-02-2019, 11:17   #519

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/s...-fat-1.3785539

A worthy cause people should be throwing their full weight behind
Advertisement
11-02-2019, 11:26   #520
Bigbagofcans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakka12 View Post
Yeh theyre really tall. Im 22 and 5'10' and while I dont feel like I stand out as being small I definitely feel within the lower range of 'normal' height
The average height for an Irish male is 5'10.
11-02-2019, 11:49   #521

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverharp View Post

Aside from the obvious differences in thinness, what I've always found most striking about this video is how excellent everyone's posture is - a byproduct of not being hunched in an office chair all day you'd presume?
(3) thanks from:
11-02-2019, 12:15   #522
topper75

That NY 100 years ago video puts paid to a lot of the nonsense on here about genes and DNA.
You can't have a mass metamorphosis of people within a few generations genetically. Not even Fukishima can do that.
Yes there maybe a range genetically with metabolisms, but today's people eat more food and move way less.
(2) thanks from:
11-02-2019, 12:19   #523
silverharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pheasant2 View Post
Aside from the obvious differences in thinness, what I've always found most striking about this video is how excellent everyone's posture is - a byproduct of not being hunched in an office chair all day you'd presume?
Interesting point, im guessing people were more conscious about how they carried themselves, there might have been more etiquette about it?
Thanks from:
11-02-2019, 12:51   #524

Quote:
Interesting point, im guessing people were more conscious about how they carried themselves, there might have been more etiquette about it?
Yep I could certainly see that being part of it alright!
11-02-2019, 14:14   #525
bluewolf
Category Moderator

Quote:
Plenty of walking around with a book on your head for posture i'd say

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion