Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-10-2018, 18:47   #16
ceadaoin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wexie View Post
I was reading that earlier and those were more or less my thoughts. Sounds like there's a dick and a twat involved there but I didn't think either of those used to be police business.

I'm sure the cops were delighted to be dealing with this.
Tbh the police in the UK seem only too delighted to get involved with these issues. Try getting them to attend the scene of a burglary or a domestic assault though and you might be waiting a while.
Advertisement
07-10-2018, 18:58   #17
Yer Da sells Avon

Quote:
Can't read the whole article but this line stood out from the bit I can read

as the kids say these days : I can't even
The article was written by a journalist who openly shares Linehan's agenda on transgender people. As it's supposed to be a news article in the 'paper of record' and not an opinion column or an uncritical interview (which it essentially is), I'm surprised that line got past the sub editors.

If someone reports harassment (or perceived harassment) to the police, they have to act on it. In this case, it seems like they acted proportionately and don't appear to have wasted too much time. I'm sure they didn't arrive around at Linehan's house with flashing lights and carry out a dawn raid, fling him in the back of a van and drag him down to the nick. Whether it was tit-for-tat or not, what he did was wrong, and the police just told him not to do it again (and if he does, both he and his accuser are wasting their time). It's more embarrassing for him than anything - I mean, he's a grown man. Imagine the Gardai calling to your door because of something you said to someone on here.
07-10-2018, 19:01   #18
suicide_circus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yer Da sells Avon View Post
Imagine the Gardai calling to your door because of something you said to someone on here.
Unless someone threatened me on here there is no way in hell the Gardai should be knocking on anyone's door.
Thanks from:
07-10-2018, 19:10   #19
Murray TheDemonic TalkingSkull

Quote:
I was reading that earlier and those were more or less my thoughts. Sounds like there's a dick and a twat involved there but I didn't think either of those used to be police business.

I'm sure the cops were delighted to be dealing with this.
Hehehehehe
07-10-2018, 19:15   #20
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Linehan is very talented but doesn’t come across as the nicest chap. Then again, neither does this woman he’s spatting with. There’s a pair of them in it.
Advertisement
07-10-2018, 19:16   #21
Yer Da sells Avon

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide_circus View Post
Unless someone threatened me on here there is no way in hell the Gardai should be knocking on anyone's door.
Even then, I probably wouldn't be arsed reporting them. But it's easy for me, a cis man who's never been threatened before, to say that. If I was a member of a group that has historically faced violence and discrimination solely for existing, I might feel differently.
Thanks from:
07-10-2018, 19:17   #22
wexie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obvious Desperate Breakfasts View Post
Linehan is very talented but doesn’t come across as the nicest chap. Then again, neither does this woman he’s spatting with. There’s a pair of them in it.
No he certainly doesn't.

Having said that I don't think any of this should have attracted more than an email from Twitter support saying : cop yourselves on or you're both getting banned.
07-10-2018, 19:20   #23
AlekSmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceadaoin. View Post
Tbh the police in the UK seem only too delighted to get involved with these issues. Try getting them to attend the scene of a burglary or a domestic assault though and you might be waiting a while.
It's a valid point for sure,possibly explained by the various "modernization" crusades in the various constabularies.

Most of them now have substantial "Fast-Track" career paths reserved for Graduates,which results in the far lower age-profile we see in UK Police TV interviews.

Some UK Superintendent rank, and above often look like Freshers,in comparison to the more....er...emm..."Mature" looking Garda officers sent before the same cameras.

It's not all viewed positively by the rank & file plod however,with a constant refrain of "disconnection" between the Uni Graduate and the College of Hard Knocks officers.

Being a Police Officer in the U.K. is not at all comparable with being a "Member" of An Garda Siochana...as they are two very different motivational bodies.
Thanks from:
07-10-2018, 19:24   #24
suicide_circus

Quote:
Even then, I probably wouldn't be arsed reporting them. But it's easy for me, a cis man who's never been threatened before, to say that. If I was a member of a group that has historically faced violence and discrimination solely for existing, I might feel differently.
particularly if your raison d'etre was the stirring of sheit
Advertisement
07-10-2018, 19:25   #25
TheDavester

didn't he doxx someone else on twitter a few months back as someone merely disagreed with something and Linehan then took shot at his parents and other things (I think the fellas disability)....Linehan is known to be a prized prat, but the looper who complained isn't much better...how many names does he/she need

Last edited by TheDavester; 07-10-2018 at 19:35.
Thanks from:
07-10-2018, 19:26   #26
mcmoustache

I doubt anything will come of the police complaint.

Still, the "debate" that he's been having on twitter is somewhat interesting. I've often found him to be insufferable sometimes but not quite enough to unfollow. He comes across as an asshole a lot.

In the past few months, he has been calling out what he sees as absurdities from some trans activists. He's an open and unashamed feminist and he has been pointing out the problems of treating men in wigs as women under the law. Some cases that he highlighted include a business man who dresses like a woman sometimes winning some woman of the year award from some magazine, anatomically male rapists raping women in female prisons and anatomically male people in women's domestic abuse shelters. He's viewing this from a feminist perspective so he's not keen on men encroaching on women's spaces, particularly when it puts women at risk.

The other side in the "debate" is hard to pin down. Maybe I don't get it but it seems to be suggesting that if you feel like you're a woman, then that should be enough to be treated as a woman under the law and organizational policy. I could be wrong here and could well be mischaracterising it so maybe someone else could explain it better.

Anyway, as with most "debates" that he gets involved in, it's quite toxic.
07-10-2018, 19:27   #27
suicide_circus

he lost a ball earlier in the year
07-10-2018, 19:38   #28
wexie

Quote:
that's very careless of him
07-10-2018, 19:44   #29
Yer Da sells Avon

Quote:
Worst one-balled person ever. You wouldn't find other one-balled people playing jungle music at three o'clock in the morning.
07-10-2018, 19:49   #30
wexie

Quote:
Worst one-balled person ever. You wouldn't find other one-balled people playing jungle music at three o'clock in the morning.
Does he do the high notes?

(I'm sorry that was terrible )

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion