Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-02-2019, 22:06   #211
ceadaoin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post
About 3,000 women each week in the UK experience rape or attempted rape or assault by penetration.

Are these tiny number of incidents really that 'interesting' in the context of the overall problems of violence against women? Are they a bit of a distraction for anyone who is really concerned about solving violence against women?
It's not just about violence, it's about the erosion of women's sex based rights.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-02-2019, 22:10   #212
Robert Wolfe
Banned

Quote:
Anyone can change their identity at any time. It's nothing to do with gender.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...deed_poll.html
A deed poll is just a piece of paper that says you promise to go by the new name. If you want a passport with your new name you have to show evidence you've been using the name for a couple of years.
10-02-2019, 22:15   #213
Omackeral

Quote:
About 3,000 women each week in the UK experience rape or attempted rape or assault by penetration.

Are these tiny number of incidents really that 'interesting' in the context of the overall problems of violence against women? Are they a bit of a distraction for anyone who is really concerned about solving violence against women?
Ok what!? You're allowed to find something interesting or worthy of a comment without having to mention all the other greater evils. That's called whataboutery I believe.
Thanks from:
10-02-2019, 22:21   #214
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceadaoin. View Post
It's not just about violence, it's about the erosion of women's sex based rights.

Though no such rights have been eroded in three years of self-identification here in Ireland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wolfe View Post
A deed poll is just a piece of paper that says you promise to go by the new name. If you want a passport with your new name you have to show evidence you've been using the name for a couple of years.
That's right, in fact, you don't need a deed poll at all - anyone can just change their name at any time and start using their new name.

So why all the fuss about gender identity changes?
10-02-2019, 22:23   #215
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omackeral View Post
Ok what!? You're allowed to find something interesting or worthy of a comment without having to mention all the other greater evils. That's called whataboutery I believe.
You can call it what you like, but it certainly puts into context the stated concerns about protecting women from being raped.

I'd have thought that anyone who was really genuinely concerned about protecting women from being raped might like to prioritise doing something about some of the very real, current, actual causes of women being raped, instead of obsessing with potential, future causes from other jurisdictions which don't really apply to the Irish legal scenario.
Advertisement
10-02-2019, 22:27   #216
Dante7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Von Peppercorn View Post
I see Stephanie has got the local police force to arrest another person for tweeting her dead name.

It’s reported in the daily mail but to not make the paper that reported it the issue I’ll link instead to the mumsnet discussion on it.

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_...ws-Sunday-Mail
Excellent, and fair play. You have managed to find a thread that the gender Stasi haven't managed to shut down. How long will it last I wonder.
Thanks from:
10-02-2019, 22:28   #217
Robert Wolfe
Banned

Quote:

That's right, in fact, you don't need a deed poll at all - anyone can just change their name at any time and start using their new name.

So why all the fuss about gender identity changes?
Well you can't actually change your gender, you're born male or female and all the surgery and hormones don't change that.

As for changing your identity. Well if I want to be known as 'Robert Wolfe' irl, it'll be at least 2 years before I'll get a passport with that name.
Thanks from:
10-02-2019, 23:29   #218
Dante7

Does anyone have an opinion on the cotton ceiling?
11-02-2019, 00:37   #219
AllForIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante7 View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on the cotton ceiling?
Yeah, it's kinda a gross term as apparently the cotton refers to 'underwear'.

Seriously though. Are transgenders equally proportionally attracted to ppl of their opposite preferred gender in the same way 90% of cisgender are attracted to their opposite sex.

Oh forget it, I've giving myself a headache.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-02-2019, 01:38   #220
ceadaoin.

According to their Twitter, Stephanie is soon to commence legal proceedings against Associated Newspapers Limited for daring to report on this. I'm amazed she has the money for all these legal proceedings. That, or it's all bull****, I'm yet to hear of one actually taking place.

Either way, I'm sure Stephanie is loving the attention.
Thanks from:
11-02-2019, 01:42   #221
Gimme A Pound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceadaoin. View Post
According to their Twitter, Stephanie is soon to commence legal proceedings against Associated Newspapers Limited for daring to report on this. I'm amazed they have the money for all these legal proceedings. That, or it's all bull****, I'm yet to hear of one actually taking place.

Either way, I'm sure Stephanie is loving the attention.
As far as I know, it costs newspapers (usually the more tabloid types) more not to publish articles that could result in litigation - the circulation/clicks figures far exceeding the legal costs. I'd say their legal departments are always pretty busy.
11-02-2019, 08:37   #222
Zorya

The UK are revising their policy regarding trans identifying male prisoners being transferred to female prisons, after violence against women in prisons from males, and

Quote:
after officials forecast that numbers of trans or non-binary prisoners in England and Wales could rise to 1,000, up from 139 last year. There are about 4,000 biological women in prison
So, trans prisoners will now most likely have separate wings in the prison. Which should have been what was done in the first place. The government have probably been scared off because of potential law suits.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...ings-6b2xpr88g

And in other news the UK Office for Students, the Commission for Countering Extremism, the National Union of Students (NUS) and Universities UK in cooperation with the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) have issued guidance to Universities advising against deplatforming people with views that have of late been described as ''hate speech'' or triggering ie the biological stance on sex etc. People holding views that are not acceptable to some are perfectly entitled to think and argue their opinions.

So, things are perhaps beginning to move towards a rational balance.
11-02-2019, 13:12   #223
AndrewJRenko

Looks like someone was telling porkies about Ian Huntley, while the angry mob with flaming pitchforks here and on Mumsnet just gobbled up all the spoofing

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1094931865318948864?s=19
(2) thanks from:
11-02-2019, 13:20   #224
freshpopcorn

Quote:
Looks like someone was telling porkies about Ian Huntley, while the angry mob with flaming pitchforks here and on Mumsnet just gobbled up all the spoofing

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/st...318948864?s=19
Thanks for sharing that.
I don't know where those story comes from. it even popped up after again after that statement was made.

Last edited by freshpopcorn; 11-02-2019 at 13:30.
Thanks from:
11-02-2019, 13:59   #225
Yer Da sells Avon

Quote:

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/st...318948864?s=19
In his attempts to smear trans people, Linehan repeated this lie a lot. I wonder if he'll have the decency to apologise.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion