Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-11-2017, 13:50   #46
Buttonftw

Even now there are a ****-ton of jobs that are unnecessary. Mine is, though if someone's willing to pay along a chain for it then who am I to argue?
Simple fact of the matter is that as automation rolls on there'll be fewer jobs, so we need to address that fact. Switching to a 5-day week was one step when another huge wave of automation happened. I personally think going to a 4 day week would be a better and more straightforward step than UBI for the moment.
Advertisement
09-11-2017, 13:58   #47
Ubbquittious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonftw View Post
Even now there are a ****-ton of jobs that are unnecessary. Mine is, though if someone's willing to pay along a chain for it then who am I to argue?
Simple fact of the matter is that as automation rolls on there'll be fewer jobs, so we need to address that fact. Switching to a 5-day week was one step when another huge wave of automation happened. I personally think going to a 4 day week would be a better and more straightforward step than UBI for the moment.
Even without automation a whole lot of people are just busy fools who are trapped in a system. So many people (myself included) do jobs that provide no real tangible benefit to society as a whole.

Large parts of the legal profession, corporate bureaucrats, companies that do nothing but import & resell, marketing (convincing people to buy sh1t they don't need), financial services can be just done away with and replaced with a simpler alternative.
09-11-2017, 13:59   #48
Buttonftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubbquittious View Post
Even without automation a whole lot of people are just busy fools who are trapped in a system. So many people (myself included) do jobs that provide no real tangible benefit to society as a whole.

Large parts of the legal profession, corporate bureaucrats, companies that do nothing but import & resell, marketing (convincing people to buy sh1t they don't need), financial services can be just done away with and replaced with a simpler alternative.
Yeah those are the unnecessary ones I mean. I don't bother explaining what I do to people because I know if someone explained it to me I'd be bored and/or think what a waste of money it was.
But that's just how things are. Without those jobs there'd be very little.
09-11-2017, 14:10   #49
Dohnjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by server down View Post
Of course you will be paying more in tax on the higher levels but this would still be a universal benefit.
The taxpayers are supporting everyone over the age of 18 who are now suddenly receiving a fixed sum every month (working, not working and don't want to work)

I can't even imagine the inflation that would create..
09-11-2017, 14:17   #50
BrokenArrows

I think this is a very very bad idea.

The concept of this would only work if humans are equal and are all equally motivated to work and live to a certain standard.

Giving certain people enough to scrape by will just result in a certain few using everything they get on alcohol, drugs and avoiding work.

The Dole at least has some restrictions which motivate people to work in most cases.
Advertisement
09-11-2017, 14:26   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohnjoe View Post
The taxpayers are supporting everyone over the age of 18 who are now suddenly receiving a fixed sum every month (working, not working and don't want to work)

I can't even imagine the inflation that would create..
Inflation?. Chance would be a fine thing.
09-11-2017, 14:26   #52
Wanderer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenArrows View Post

The concept of this would only work if humans are equal and are all equally motivated to work and live to a certain standard.

Giving certain people enough to scrape by will just result in a certain few using everything they get on alcohol, drugs and avoiding work.

The Dole at least has some restrictions which motivate people to work in most cases.
why arent we helping those with addiction and other complex problems and why do some avoid work?

does the restrictions of the dole really motivate people to work?
09-11-2017, 14:27   #53
teotwawki

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
The machines are taking the unskilled jobs.
AI is going to be taking a lot of skilled jobs. Anything that's not creative or human facing is at risk in the short-to-medium term.
(2) thanks from:
09-11-2017, 14:28   #54
Ronaldinho

Quote:
Inflation?. Chance would be a fine thing.
Why do you say that?
Advertisement
09-11-2017, 14:28   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenArrows View Post

What if your job went and never came back?
09-11-2017, 14:29   #56
irelandrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer78 View Post
does the restrictions of the dole really motivate people to work?
You often hear that people on the dole would be worse off if they did a few hours a week work as they lose benefits. That isnt the case with UBI. Someone could do 4 hours a day while their kids are at school.

Also removing the pressure of having to work for minimum wage encourages people to take a few more risks and set up businesses since they have a basic wage no matter what.
09-11-2017, 14:33   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by teotwawki View Post
AI is going to be taking a lot of skilled jobs. Anything that's not creative or human facing is at risk in the short-to-medium term.
Or stuff that is creative and human facing.
09-11-2017, 14:35   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldinho View Post
Why do you say that?
What’s wrong with moderate inflation? It reduces people’s debt burden. The cost of servicing the mortgage on my house is exactly the same as it was 5 years ago. In a different era it would be 20% lower in real terms.
(2) thanks from:
09-11-2017, 15:29   #59
BrokenArrows

Quote:
What if your job went and never came back?
I would retrain to do something else.

You expect that if someones job becomes redundant they should be able to sit on the couch for the rest of their lives?
09-11-2017, 16:00   #60
Ronaldinho

Quote:
What’s wrong with moderate inflation? It reduces people’s debt burden. The cost of servicing the mortgage on my house is exactly the same as it was 5 years ago. In a different era it would be 20% lower in real terms.
At this point in time I think a rise in inflation much above current levels would put a squeeze on peoples' real incomes, as has happened in the UK.

I don't think there's too many people out there that would be confident of getting a pay rise out of the employer in the morning if they tried to negotiate.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion