Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
09-11-2017, 13:50   #46
Buttonftw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 19,190
Even now there are a ****-ton of jobs that are unnecessary. Mine is, though if someone's willing to pay along a chain for it then who am I to argue?
Simple fact of the matter is that as automation rolls on there'll be fewer jobs, so we need to address that fact. Switching to a 5-day week was one step when another huge wave of automation happened. I personally think going to a 4 day week would be a better and more straightforward step than UBI for the moment.
Buttonftw is online now  
Advertisement
09-11-2017, 13:58   #47
Ubbquittious
Registered User
 
Ubbquittious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonftw View Post
Even now there are a ****-ton of jobs that are unnecessary. Mine is, though if someone's willing to pay along a chain for it then who am I to argue?
Simple fact of the matter is that as automation rolls on there'll be fewer jobs, so we need to address that fact. Switching to a 5-day week was one step when another huge wave of automation happened. I personally think going to a 4 day week would be a better and more straightforward step than UBI for the moment.
Even without automation a whole lot of people are just busy fools who are trapped in a system. So many people (myself included) do jobs that provide no real tangible benefit to society as a whole.

Large parts of the legal profession, corporate bureaucrats, companies that do nothing but import & resell, marketing (convincing people to buy sh1t they don't need), financial services can be just done away with and replaced with a simpler alternative.
Ubbquittious is offline  
09-11-2017, 13:59   #48
Buttonftw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 19,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubbquittious View Post
Even without automation a whole lot of people are just busy fools who are trapped in a system. So many people (myself included) do jobs that provide no real tangible benefit to society as a whole.

Large parts of the legal profession, corporate bureaucrats, companies that do nothing but import & resell, marketing (convincing people to buy sh1t they don't need), financial services can be just done away with and replaced with a simpler alternative.
Yeah those are the unnecessary ones I mean. I don't bother explaining what I do to people because I know if someone explained it to me I'd be bored and/or think what a waste of money it was.
But that's just how things are. Without those jobs there'd be very little.
Buttonftw is online now  
09-11-2017, 14:10   #49
Dohnjoe
Registered User
 
Dohnjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 3,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by server down View Post
Of course you will be paying more in tax on the higher levels but this would still be a universal benefit.
The taxpayers are supporting everyone over the age of 18 who are now suddenly receiving a fixed sum every month (working, not working and don't want to work)

I can't even imagine the inflation that would create..
Dohnjoe is online now  
09-11-2017, 14:17   #50
BrokenArrows
Registered User
 
BrokenArrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,731
I think this is a very very bad idea.

The concept of this would only work if humans are equal and are all equally motivated to work and live to a certain standard.

Giving certain people enough to scrape by will just result in a certain few using everything they get on alcohol, drugs and avoiding work.

The Dole at least has some restrictions which motivate people to work in most cases.
BrokenArrows is offline  
Advertisement
09-11-2017, 14:26   #51
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohnjoe View Post
The taxpayers are supporting everyone over the age of 18 who are now suddenly receiving a fixed sum every month (working, not working and don't want to work)

I can't even imagine the inflation that would create..
Inflation?. Chance would be a fine thing.
server down is offline  
09-11-2017, 14:26   #52
Wanderer78
Registered User
 
Wanderer78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 11,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenArrows View Post
I think this is a very very bad idea.

The concept of this would only work if humans are equal and are all equally motivated to work and live to a certain standard.

Giving certain people enough to scrape by will just result in a certain few using everything they get on alcohol, drugs and avoiding work.

The Dole at least has some restrictions which motivate people to work in most cases.
why arent we helping those with addiction and other complex problems and why do some avoid work?

does the restrictions of the dole really motivate people to work?
Wanderer78 is offline  
09-11-2017, 14:27   #53
teotwawki
Registered User
 
teotwawki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
The machines are taking the unskilled jobs.
AI is going to be taking a lot of skilled jobs. Anything that's not creative or human facing is at risk in the short-to-medium term.
teotwawki is offline  
(2) thanks from:
09-11-2017, 14:28   #54
Ronaldinho
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by server down View Post
Inflation?. Chance would be a fine thing.
Why do you say that?
Ronaldinho is offline  
Advertisement
09-11-2017, 14:28   #55
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenArrows View Post
I think this is a very very bad idea.

The concept of this would only work if humans are equal and are all equally motivated to work and live to a certain standard.

Giving certain people enough to scrape by will just result in a certain few using everything they get on alcohol, drugs and avoiding work.

The Dole at least has some restrictions which motivate people to work in most cases.
What if your job went and never came back?
server down is offline  
09-11-2017, 14:29   #56
irelandrover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer78 View Post
does the restrictions of the dole really motivate people to work?
You often hear that people on the dole would be worse off if they did a few hours a week work as they lose benefits. That isnt the case with UBI. Someone could do 4 hours a day while their kids are at school.

Also removing the pressure of having to work for minimum wage encourages people to take a few more risks and set up businesses since they have a basic wage no matter what.
irelandrover is offline  
09-11-2017, 14:33   #57
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by teotwawki View Post
AI is going to be taking a lot of skilled jobs. Anything that's not creative or human facing is at risk in the short-to-medium term.
Or stuff that is creative and human facing.
server down is offline  
09-11-2017, 14:35   #58
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldinho View Post
Why do you say that?
What’s wrong with moderate inflation? It reduces people’s debt burden. The cost of servicing the mortgage on my house is exactly the same as it was 5 years ago. In a different era it would be 20% lower in real terms.
server down is offline  
(2) thanks from:
09-11-2017, 15:29   #59
BrokenArrows
Registered User
 
BrokenArrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by server down View Post
What if your job went and never came back?
I would retrain to do something else.

You expect that if someones job becomes redundant they should be able to sit on the couch for the rest of their lives?
BrokenArrows is offline  
09-11-2017, 16:00   #60
Ronaldinho
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by server down View Post
What’s wrong with moderate inflation? It reduces people’s debt burden. The cost of servicing the mortgage on my house is exactly the same as it was 5 years ago. In a different era it would be 20% lower in real terms.
At this point in time I think a rise in inflation much above current levels would put a squeeze on peoples' real incomes, as has happened in the UK.

I don't think there's too many people out there that would be confident of getting a pay rise out of the employer in the morning if they tried to negotiate.
Ronaldinho is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet