Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question About Liability for Repairs

• 29-01-2019 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there, and thanks in advance for reading!

Renting a house in Dublin for college. One of my house got locked in the bathroom because the key broke in the lock. He broke the door with a hammer to get our. I'm thinking we just call the landlord to fix it but some of the other housemates are afriad to call him for fear of getting kicked out. Any adcice on what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Depends on how badly broken it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JohnGonad

The wood is gouged out around the lock and the whole handle mechanism was just removed. It's not exactly pretty

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd say he won't be happy. But at the end of the day, there was someone locked inside.
    You could have waited for a locksmith but who knows how long that would take.
    Is it a cheap enough door that you could replace it yourselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

JohnGonad wrote: »
    Hi there, and thanks in advance for reading!

Renting a house in Dublin for college. One of my house got locked in the bathroom because the key broke in the lock. He broke the door with a hammer to get our. I'm thinking we just call the landlord to fix it but some of the other housemates are afriad to call him for fear of getting kicked out. Any adcice on what to do?

He didn't lock himself in through negligence, the key snapped.

Imagine if he got locked in the bathroom on Friday evening, after everyone had left the house for the weekend, and he didn't have his phone with him. It wouldn't be reasonable to expect him to remain in the bathroom, without food, until people came back on Sunday evening. Even staying there from morning to evening would be unreasonable.

While he mightn't be overly happy, I don't think any half-reasonable landlord would evict an otherwise good tenant for this. The fact that only the area around the lock is damaged should work in your favour, as it's quite obvious then that it's not a made up story to try and get away with drunken damage.

Advertisement