Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Renewed rain and strong winds for west on Monday 7th (onset tonight)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Wasnt Desmond meant to be the name of the storm last Tuesday, was that naming postponed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Any sign of Eva yet smile.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

So far, so good. Not much rain, light wind only. I guess it won't be worse than desmond. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

joujoujou wrote: »
    So far, so good. Not much rain, light wind only. I guess it won't be worse than desmond. :)

Winds won't be any stronger than they are now. Rain should start to get heavier later though, but not too much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

The Moy has started to burst it's banks near the Ridgepool in places - high tide due around 3pm could see some flooding in Ballina - beware!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Fairly heavy rain and strong(ish) winds up in cork airport right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Cork981 wrote: »
    Fairly heavy rain and strong(ish) winds up in cork airport right now.

yes the Met.ie 1300h report was :

CORK AIRPORT S 24 Gust 43 LIGHT RAIN
    It's definitely gotten worse in the last 60 mins.

IRCA wrote: »
    The Moy has started to burst it's banks near the Ridgepool in places - high tide due around 3pm could see some flooding in Ballina - beware!

Looks high alright

http://www.fishinginireland.info/salmon/northwest/moy/ridgepoolcam.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Yodeling Snake

Bucketing here in Limerick city with very strong gusting wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's become really nasty in cork in the last hour. Horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Torrential rain and renewed flooding, not sure how much more the roads here are going to withstand.

northgirl wrote: »
    Torrential rain and renewed flooding, not sure how much more the roads here are going to withstand.

The front will be clearing Cork soon.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 39,408 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Today fm are saying that the esb is warning of flooding downstream from its dam in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

IRCA wrote: »

The river was flooding apartments on barret street yesterday. Its about 4-6 inches from bursting out at the cathedral, i don't know what people were thinking parking their cars there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

mayo.mick wrote: »

You cant see in that but there is already a sizeable pool of water there on the road beside the ridgepool village apartments - matter of time before its flooded completely.

The cathedral road is i'd say like 3 inches from bursting.

http://waterlevel.ie/0000034061/0001/day/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Bucketing here in Limerick city with very strong gusting wind.

I visit a friend down in Limerick sometimes and you can almost see the dividing line in the weather once you get to a certain point in Tipp. Ye really get the short end of the stick down there with rain :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nearly 100mm of rain in Castlebar since Friday, the lake has completely burst its banks which is a very rare occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

New Bridge near tesco about to go under to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

I read about "Storm Desmond" on this forum 3-4 days before it was even named a storm by met eireann thanks to a thread started by MT Cranium. Because of that I sorted a few things around the house that saved me and my family a lot of distress.

That man is a boards.ie legend and I owe him a debt of gratitude.

Completely agree and we dont say it enough. Thank you MT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

The wind and rain here in south Tipp since 2pm us worse than anything we experienced on Saturday. Its dark since 3pm also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭flutered

A low end Yellow wind warning for Monday. Nothing special.

my neck of the woods has double this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭flutered

The front will be clearing Cork soon.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

i am at the butt of the galtee's, it is still heavy rain with strong winds, thankfully they are not as strong as earlier today

flutered wrote: »
    i am at the butt of the galtee's, it is still heavy rain with strong winds, thankfully they are not as strong as earlier today

There will still be some heavy showers following on today and tomorrow but the main band of rain has moved eastward now. It's over me here in Waterford now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Big drop from yesterdays record high in the river Moy here at Swinford. Ballina still rising

[IMG][/img]water%20level%207_zps4izmybum.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Today fm are saying that the esb is warning of flooding downstream from its dam in cork.

Parteen weir in Clare/Limerick too
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/flood-warning-as-esb-to-release-water-from-parteen-1-7104179

http://www.thejournal.ie/flood-clare-new-warning-country-damage-2487628-Dec2015/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Not west (obviously) but very heavy rain in Arklow for the past 3 hours with hail,yes hail!
    Heavier than what we had on Saturday here

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Incredible footage from the Air Corp on a section of Ballyhaunis

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/673925776786325504

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Thanks for earlier comments and I very much agree that you should include the other weather forum mainstays in any positive comments, you know who they are of course, and in the recent Desmond situation we had really good co-ordination from forum moderators and various posters doing the right thing at the right times. We could see the level three rainfall potential and when it became official those people were quick to separate the thread which I think was a good idea. In general here, we can only hope to add a little detail to what is probably generally known around the country from the usual sources of weather information, rarely is there much difference of opinion with Met-E, and I must confess that with today's event, I deliberately added a level to it just because I wanted to convey the idea that flooding might not recede quite as fast as might often be the case with the additional rainfall, seems that way in some areas from your reports.

I may post some thoughts about that level three rainfall business in the other thread if it is still open.

At this point, would say that the warning level on this thread can safely be dropped either to level one or just no warning, except that people in northwest Mayo should expect perhaps level one wind gusts at times tomorrow morning. That threat downgrade of course is not meant to apply to the ongoing flooding which is now going to have to exhaust itself from just a small amount of additional rainfall until possibly a moderate top-up around Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Unlike previous days, tonight could deliver a higher gust factor in those convective showers that are coming in off the Atlantic. Gusts of 55 kts are possible in places

Advertisement