Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Hermy wrote: »
    Here's a link to the record as it appears on the NLI site...

https://registers.nli.ie//registers/vtls000633736#page/139/mode/1up

Often adult marriages were because of a change of faith - was it a mixed marriage?

Thanks, I don’t think it was mixed and I am not sure if this is the correct Margaret Brophy, but I do know William and Ann were her parents names from another record I have.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Perhaps it's just a slip of the pen but looking at that baptism record the fathers surname does not look like Brophy.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Church records on irishgenealogy transcribe the father's name as Gulielmo Breakey Brophy.

**edit
    Mary Jane Breakey, same parents (William Breakey/Anne Turner) was an adult baptism in St. Paul's Arran quay in 1872 (born 1853)
    William given as deceased and Anne Turner residence given as Dundalk
    Bottom of page, entry 2017(746)
    https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633673#page/147/mode/1up
    Note on that one says adult conv. baptism

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Perhaps it's just a slip of the pen but looking at that baptism record the fathers surname does not look like Brophy.

I agree - it looks like Breakey

Also
    the Latin is adulta neo conversa [xxxxx] a ministello baptizata nunc sub conditione
    meaning - Adult new(ly) converted [xxxx] by the minister baptised conditionally.
    In those days the RCC did not recognise CoI baptisms.

She was born (Natus column) in 1851
    (There is another convert baptism further up the page).

@Spurious - I should have typed faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

OK copperplate and a slightly messed up register :)
    Irishgeneology.ie

Link to Uploaded file

Really stuck on Column 5 ( fathers name ) and Column 7 (fathers occupation ) for line 70, I was led to believe that John McAuley was his father but I can't make a John out of that writing

Also trying to think why would they have needed the authorised changes made in 1941 as noted in the margin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Pistachio19

Spook_ie wrote: »
    OK copperplate and a slightly messed up register :)

Link to Uploaded file

Really stuck on Column 5 ( fathers name ) and Column 7 (fathers occupation ) for line 70, I was led to believe that John McAuley was his father but I can't make a John out of that writing

Also trying to think why would they have needed the authorised changes made in 1941 as noted in the margin.

It's John Mc Auley alright but I can't make out the profession.

Compositor?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Agree, compositor. Presumably these people in 1901.

The handwriting as original and the correction look to be the same spelling - why the correction at all?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thank you all

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Agree, compositor. Presumably these people in 1901.

The handwriting as original and the correction look to be the same spelling - why the correction at all?

Would it be something to do with the previous entry which is also McAuley?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Would it be something to do with the previous entry which is also McAuley?

Don't know, 1941 too early for Charles McAuley to be looking for a pension at 48 and Charles married in 1922 so nothing to do with marriages, hadn't thought if it was to do with the earlier entry

Is it to do with the spelling of McAuley in your entry which appears to have been corrected from McAulay, the spelling of the name in the previous entry?

Link to the image from the Irish Genealogy website which is a lot easier to view and enlarge...

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1893/02284/1857118.pdf

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Could anyone decipher attached Marriage cert, both fathers first name, for Patrick and Ellen. I must admit I've been staring at it for ages without success. Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The bottom one looks like Denis. I'm guessing the top one is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Mod Note: Where possible could posters please link to the source of the image that interests them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

OK here's where yesterdays led me to,

https://registers.nli.ie//registers/vtls000633838#page/65/mode/1up

Scroll down to line 696 of 12th of July 1893

I can make out some of it
    Thomas Bergin and Margarita?
    Dominick Street and Bath Avenue Bride and Groom addresses?
    Peter? and Elizabeth Bergin Grooms Parents?
    Some body and somebody ( Margaritas parents ) Brides Parents
    Denunciations ( what are they? )
    12th July 1893
    M Butterfield Is that the priest?
    Thomas Byrne and Anne Somebody? Witnesses?
    Haddington Road and 9 something? square Witness addresses maybe

And I'm guessing what some of the column names are.

What ever you can decipher is appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Excellent, thanks very much

Well it certainly helps with the fathers names Pierce and William

Brides name looks like Seery?

• Advertisement

Thomas Bergin of 51 Lower Dominick Street, son of Peter and Elizabeth Bergin married Elizabeth Seery of 57 Bath Avenue, daughter of William Seery and Elizabeth Quinn.

Priest is M. Butterfield.

Witnesses are Thomas Byrne of Haddington Road and Anne Quinn of 9 Vavasour Square.

The words under Denunciations look like Banns and Dispensation but I'm never sure about what these mean.

As well as the civil record New Earth linked to, this links to another scan of the church record as it appear on Irish Genealogy. Image quality is much the same but sometimes having the two to work from can help with deciphering.

Genealogy Forum Mod

The banns were dispensed with. There was more than likely a reason to not hang around before marrying. The birth of Thomas William in September 1893 might explain things.
    This wasn't at all uncommon. I have many instances of it in my own gang.

Thomas Bergin of 51 Lower Dominick Street, son of Peter and Elizabeth Bergin married Elizabeth Seery of 57 Bath Avenue, daughter of William Seery and Elizabeth Quinn.

Priest is M. Butterfield.

Witnesses are Thomas Byrne of Haddington Road and Anne Quinn of 9 Vavasour Square.

The words under Denunciations look like Banns and Dispensation but I'm never sure about what these mean.

As well as the civil record New Earth linked to, this links to another scan of the church record as it appear on Irish Genealogy. Image quality is much the same but sometimes having the two to work from can help with deciphering.

Thanks, do you think it would be safe to assume that Quinn is the mothers maiden name or not?

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Thanks, do you think it would be safe to assume that Quinn is the mothers maiden name or not?

It's quite likely but you need to find something to confirm it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Hi,
    Need help with this marriage record on 20th Nov 1871 of Richard & Grace (Right hand page)

What is the word on left column underneath Fitzgerald name here?
    Many thanks

As per the civil record where Fitzgerald appears in the left margin I'm assuming it refers to the name of the priest who performed the service so I wonder is the word underneath it a reference to his parish or something along those lines?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Many thanks for that, Hermy. That seems logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Could someone please confirm Denis O'Neills father's name?

Is it Edward?

Final marriage on page
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1871/11338/8161442.pdf
    Party 1 Name DENIS ONEILL
    Party 2 Name MARGARET COFFEY
    Date of Event 24 January 1871
    Group Registration ID 2745534
    SR District/Reg Area Clonmel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

hblock21 wrote: »
    Could someone please confirm Denis O'Neills father's name?

Is it Edward?

Final marriage on page
    https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1871/11338/8161442.pdf
    Party 1 Name DENIS ONEILL
    Party 2 Name MARGARET COFFEY
    Date of Event 24 January 1871
    Group Registration ID 2745534
    SR District/Reg Area Clonmel

Edmond.
    Same name really.

Advertisement