Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Griffith's Valuation

Options
  • 03-08-2010 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hi All
    Am going cracked here trying to find something in Griffith's Valuation. Basically I am looking for the inhabitants of Ardrah townland, Co. Cork (par. Kilmocomoge, Barony of Bantry, ED Mealagh; Sheet 106) and while the map exists, the Valuation only gives information for another townland with the same Co on Sheet 118. There are houses and plots marked on Sheet 106 but no record of inhabitants. Can anyone help? Pleease!!!

PS Am so bewildered am not even sure that I'm making sense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

shanew wrote: »

Thanks a million Shane, but that record refers to Ardrah townland on OS Sheet 118, which is located south of Bantry. The Ardrah I am looking for is marked on Sheet 106, north-northeast of Bantry (near Kealkill). Both are located in the parish of Kilmocomoge. I managed to find Griffith's map with the plots marked out on it for the Ardrah on Sheet 106 but no trace of an accompanying record. I must be making a mistake somewhere but I can't figure out what it is. :confused:

Sorry, meant to attach this to above post.

fifilarue wrote: »
    Thanks a million Shane, but that record refers to Ardrah townland on OS Sheet 118, which is located south of Bantry. The Ardrah I am looking for is marked on Sheet 106, north-northeast of Bantry (near Kealkill). Both are located in the parish of Kilmocomoge. I managed to find Griffith's map with the plots marked out on it for the Ardrah on Sheet 106 but no trace of an accompanying record. I must be making a mistake somewhere but I can't figure out what it is. :confused:

There are two townlands of the same name in the same Civil parish !

I've never come across that before - are you sure?

The townland database (www.seanruad.com) does show three entries .. one of which is in the civil parish of West Muskerry. I believe the two entries in Kilmocomoge are due to the same townland being in two separate baronies - i.e. Bantry & West Carbery. Very rarely a townland can be non contiguous - i.e. two different area of a Civil parish.

Another point to watch is that the maps included on the AskAboutIreland website are not the original Griffiths maps (they are from slightly later), so I dont know if the references match perfectly.

I'll try to find the townland on the OSI to see if I can work out what's going on..

Shane

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Fifilarue,

If you want to pm me the names, I'll take a look on Irish Origins (I have a subscription). They scanned a different set of Griffiths and I have heard people in the know say it is far superior to the AskaboutIreland version and they have the correct maps.

PP

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

There are two townlands of the same name in the same Civil parish !

I've never come across that before - are you sure?

The townland database (www.seanruad.com) does show three entries .. one of which is in the civil parish of West Muskerry. I believe the two entries in Kilmocomoge are due to the same townland being in two separate baronies - i.e. Bantry & West Carbery. Very rarely a townland can be non contiguous - i.e. two different area of a Civil parish.

Another point to watch is that the maps included on the AskAboutIreland website are not the original Griffiths maps (they are from slightly later), so I dont know if the references match perfectly.

I'll try to find the townland on the OSI to see if I can work out what's going on..

Shane

Thanks Shane. Something isn't right and I just can't put my finger on it. www.logainm.ie gives the same information as seanruad.com. I think the confusion is coming from the barony but I just don't know enough about GV to draw any conclusions.

OriginsNetwork is owned by Eneclann, who did the scans of the Griffith's details and original maps, in conjunction with the National Library. I'm not sure where the AskAboutIreland maps came from - but they seem to date from some years later than Griffiths.

The maps on Origins are in black & white and can be difficult to read.. but they are the ones with the original site number details, usually handwritten. Some townlands can be awkward to locate if they span two separate sheets - this caused endless trouble with one of my Wicklow ancestors.

p.s. where is this townland in relation to a town I might know ? (my Cork geography is not great)

edit : found one townland with the name Ardrah on the OSI map - see http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,507425,554645,5 (click the historic 6" option)
    This one is marked 477 acres which matches the one on seanruad in the barony of Bantry, and also matches the outline of the one in your screenshot... so based on SeanRuad it looks like there are 451 acres somewhere else..

Shane

Shane-have attached 2 maps-one is a general location and the other will give you info on the surrounding townlands. It is located approximately NE of Bantry and SE of Kealkill in W Cork. Thanks a million for helping out :D

found a possible return for the one in Bantry Barony - it's spelt Ardhragh - see : http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/z/zoomifyDynamicViewer.php?file=038015&path=./pix/038/&showpage=1&mysession=2180123086164&width=900&height=680&debug=

Acreage looks about right

Shane

found a possible return for the one in Bantry Barony - it's spelt Ardhragh - see : http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/z/zoomifyDynamicViewer.php?file=038015&path=./pix/038/&showpage=1&mysession=2180123086164&width=900&height=680&debug=

Acreage looks about right

Shane

Shane-you are a superstar! Thanks a million-it has to be the right one as the surnames tie in with the census returns for 1901 and 1911. I really appreciate the help as I was running out of patience with the whole thing. Thanks again.
    F

• Advertisement

sorry - I just noticed that the link I gave expires after a while. I got to the page by searching for another townland in the same Barony - i.e. Abbey townland in Bantry barony, Co. Cork and click occupant and scrolling foward through about 3 or 4 pages .. the townlands are listed in alphabetical order

Shane

Advertisement