Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Gormley says its all gonna be fine...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

paulocon wrote: »
    +1. The trig point is at the foot of the mast (outside the hideous cage) and to the best of my knowledge, marks the official summit of Kippure.

4187625720_b6de25df46.jpg

Thank you - the mast is not on the summit, it's near the summit! That's what I've been trying to say (and when I meant near - I meant near, as in metres). The Dublin/Wicklow border runs through the summit. End of!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Villians temp still shows on his shows on his site..

http://www.carlowweather.com/wxindex.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Gormley on RTE NEWS, Brian really giving it to him, He said i don,t know were the minister of transport is we can,t find him. Unbelievable:eek: ( maybe he stuck in a Snow drift that one in Canada maybe:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Can people in Ballycroy and North Mayo kindly exhude some significant flatulance to blow that bloody precipitation that's been sitting just North of me for the last hour this way please... I'll hold me nose. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

danni2 wrote: »
    Much of England is buried by nearly a foot of snow, unfortunatly im not over there im back at home as my flight was cancelled yesterday so I will be going next month instead.

Anyway I still have snow lying outside from Monday night, Looks like we'll have one more chance of snow on Sunday and early next week before this cold spell comes to an end.

sorry refrase that lol much of england is covered in 2cm of snow and thousands of schools are shut! meanwhile ni is covered in 10cm of snow 2/3 foot on hills and thousands of schools and offices are open!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Bren Jacob

Ye thought that was very funny I can imagen his mates were bursting their bollox.
    df1985 wrote: »
    now a live interview with some councillor and his phone is ringing and hes getting flustered! clearly some pals see him on tv and getting a good laugh ringin his phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

In light of what John Gormley is saying about supplies running out, I would advise them not to look at ECMWF 12Z this afternoon!

Notice how areas of low pressue approach from the south but are not able to make inroads at all against the exceptional cold block that it is place. Winds generally Easterly to Southeasterly across the country, coming from the continent. The lows stall to the southwest & whilst it's not clear what the 850mb temperatures are, these types of evolution are exactly what we want to see for a continuation of these conditions & do present the risk of significant snowfall.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

snaps wrote: »
    you would have thought this guy inn tullow would have turned his phone off! Twat!

we were thinking the same here, and then his battery started beeping:o poor thing looked very uncomfortable:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

They really are in trouble with the gritting and salt etc etc.

This is their own fault - during the xmas period, the government and local authorities took their foot of the pedal, presuming the weather would have cleared before the new year.

And now into the second week of the New Year no clearance likely until the third week. Interesting times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

It is possible since the mast was erected the summit has grown,

so get the hatchets out I feel a tribal war coming on.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Waaaayyy!! wrote: »
    Yup!!! just why are you discussing the weather?? It's a bit of snow! Have you NOTHING better to talk about??:)

This is a snow forum under the Weather heading, what else would we be talking about?Duh!

We've all dropped in here because, let's face it, snow is the best thing to talk about for us like minded snow freaks.

If you have something better to talk about, go find a thread on it, I'm sure they have one for your fetish, whatever that may be.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

why was that man in carlow on rte news standing behind a plant?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Rougies

He was probably getting pelted with snowballs. I know I would have when I was a kid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Gormley on RTE NEWS, Brian really giving it to him, He said i don,t know were the minister of transport is we can,t find him. Unbelievable:eek: ( maybe he stuck in a Snow drift that one in Canada maybe:D

Shouldn't they organise a search party? Willie O'Dea can lead the troops...isn't it good to know when the Russians come calling, O'Dea will save us!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

This is a snow forum under the Weather heading, what else would we be talking about?Duh!

We've all dropped in here because, let's face it, snow is the best thing to talk about for us like minded snow freaks.

If you have something better to talk about, go find a thread on it, I'm sure they have one for your fetish, whatever that may be.;)

He's just trolling. Ignore him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

That's what people do in Carlow... stand behind plants... it's an ancient tradition going back to Cromwell's times when they disguised themselves as fuschias. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wow, its colder in Annamoe than Tullow!!
    RTE i offer cheap rates for my interviews :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

He wasn't a weather man - he is a Labour Councillor. He was standing beside the plant to protect himself from the wind.

Or maybe some product placement - in this case Tullow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Snowaddict wrote: »
    In light of what John Gormley is saying about supplies running out, I would advise them not to look at ECMWF 12Z this afternoon!

Notice how areas of low pressue approach from the south but are not able to make inroads at all against the exceptional cold block that it is place. Winds generally Easterly to Southeasterly across the country, coming from the continent. The lows stall to the southwest & whilst it's not clear what the 850mb temperatures are, these types of evolution are exactly what we want to see for a continuation of these conditions & do present the risk of significant snowfall.

SA :)

I think most people dont understand the sheer amount of snow that we might be facing in a few days time. Question is, will the charts stick with this and will the precip fall as snow...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Lads has that system to the West died down or what? Will be get any snow at all here in Limerick?? It looks like it is fizzling out or is it too early

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Supercell wrote: »
    I dunno Doc, heres a pic i took on the road up to the summit..

101388.jpg

The mast is slight off centre, but the building is definitely on the summit.

But ,SC wheres all the snow gone ???????????????????:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

rc28 wrote: »
    I heard him say "hail and snow" moving inland during Sunday on the 17:55 forecast:confused:

sorry i didn't hear that bit:o i only heard the last bit where he said a strong easterly wind by monday with showers over much of the country. if this does verify and we end up with sleet showers further inland i give up. granted the source may be faux cold but given the modified air has to track over a substantial pool of cold air over england and Ireland it should negate the effect of slightly higher 850hpa temps. seriously this has the potential to be the big one if we end up with 48 hours of sleet and rain. i just might book into a B+B near the Wicklow or Kerry mountains for a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Rougies

I think most people dont understand the sheer amount of snow that we might be facing in a few days time. Question is, will the charts stick with this and will the precip fall as snow...

I know, it's getting scary (exciting). The country really is screwed if this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

dedon wrote: »
    Lads has that system to the West died down or what? Will be get any snow at all here in Limerick?? It looks like it is fizzling out or is it too early

Yeah, there was only a risk that it could have moved inland a bit, it looks like its not posing much of a threat now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

owenc wrote: »
    sorry refrase that lol much of england is covered in 2cm of snow and thousands of schools are shut! meanwhile ni is covered in 10cm of snow 2/3 foot on hills and thousands of schools and offices are open!:mad:

Look mate im not anti you , but your coming out with some crap. 2cms of snow? Did you watch sky news yesterday? most of the south of England had 10cms+. Us in Ireland, including NIreland have nothing like they've had.

3foot is a metre!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

Awaiting rte weather. Where did all this snow promised for Galway to? Or is it still hanging there in the sky? Is it snowing anywhere presently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

linguist wrote: »
    Shouldn't they organise a search party? Willie O'Dea can lead the troops...isn't it good to know when the Russians come calling, O'Dea will save us!:)

O' Dea if he walk into a 2 ft snow drift he would be lost forevever:D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭PistolPete78

are we going to see this event making it to the mid-west? or is this just an east coast show again!!!!!

Im hoping for something tonite but all i have here at the moment is -1.5 and clear skys...:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

LOL not me on the news, I would have turned off my phone!!!

Irish Times tomorrow might have a bit on my station alright

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement