Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

orphanages in dublin 1900

Options
  • 01-08-2010 2:19pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

i am researching my great great mother's family.

Margaret was born on the 14.09.1890 at 3 the Richmond and her sister Jane was born 01.04.1892 in Richmond golden bridge

I know that Margaret's mother died and Margaret and Jane were put in an orphanage somewhere in Dublin.

Her father Thomas, remarried the following year, his mother disowned Thomas when he remarried but the girls were never taken out of the orphanage.

I am trying to find out which orphanage they were put into. i cant find any record of them on the 1901 census.

it there anyway i can get a list of orphanages in Dublin around that time and if records of inmates are available?

its really weird family story. the grandmother was very wealthy, so i dont know why the girls were sent away. when Thomas remarried there was a falling out with his mother and she disowned him.

Thomas went on to more children with is second wife. he was left the family money and business.

i know that when Margaret's father died, his money went to her half brother Richard. there was a court case where she contested the will and that fact she was left nothing - she lost this case.

i would love to find out what happened - so does another know if would be possible to get the old court records? also i am looking for a copy of the wills.

any help would be really appreciated

thanks
    IB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

You will be able to get a copy of that will by visiting the National Archives in Bishop Street and checking out their index book for the year in question. Usually wills are 'probated' about 2 months after the death so may need to look also in following year. You pay a small fee and a copy of the will will be posted out to you. The National archives keep court records also. Enquire of the staff there to help you.

Good luck!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Irishbird,

Probably the reason you can't find them on the 1901 is that people in any sort of institution, prison, mental hospital, barracks, etc, were listed by initials only. If you use the expanded search:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/#searchmore

you can search by initials. Put in all the other information you, like age, likely county, etc and you may be able to identify them that way. Thoms directory will list orphanages but I think it just has it by address - Shanew will be able to verify, he seems to have his own library of Thoms!!

Now the thing about wills is that it may not have survived. What year are you talking about? Pre-1922, there is a good possibility it won't have survived. It is still worth checking with the Archives though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

thanks, i had a look under her initials MB - didnt find anything - she was COI, which would made her stand out.

looks like a trip to visit some cousins, i know they also have copies of the Will (apparently):)

Advertisement