Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pope Francis offered $1m to go vegan for Lent ...

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

GAA Beo wrote: »
    Why do the climate change/vegan activists keep using children as their pawns? Extremely off putting to their cause.

This woman has 23 year old children :D she's very worried about them because she thinks global warming will affect them :rolleyes: wasn't long being put back in her box though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

It's a fantastic idea from a marketing of veganism perspective.

Puts the pope under pressure to accept to donate the money to worthy causes etc and if he does, the result might be that many practicing Catholics begin to give us meat for lent in the same manner that they used to give us sweets. And if they manage to prove to themselves that it's achievable, and that they even feel better for it, then that's a big score for veganism.

Mrs Gilhooley sorry to burst your bubble but the pope is not held in high regard nowadays, maybe if you went back 40 years it might have an impact. Vegans are clutching at straws as usual :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Isn’t the body of Christ meat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Noveight wrote: »
    $1m is focking pennies to the Catholic Church.
    Actually ... can't help but thinking about the 30 pieces of silver Judas was bought with.
    - maybe the Pope should refrain from getting in this war ...
    This week I already got annoyed at that image with the barbequed dog -
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=12195639

• Registered Users Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Christ I hate vegans.
    <snip>
    Look at Corbyn. A failure at college and indeed as a politician and a vegan to boot. I couldn’t hate the tosser any more than what I already do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Sure Lent is nearly two weeks away

One anti-vegan flat out with a shovel in a hole.

Anti-vegan brigade summoned but too late to save face.

Unearthly wrote: »
    I find it much easier being healthy vegan than a meat eater.

Simple things like when people brought in junk food to work is no longer an option for me, same with take away, delis etc.

When I was eating dominos and McDonald's no one cared about my health, but now when I eat fruit, veg, nuts etc I get concerned people wondering about my b12 levels :pac:
    But do you cook vegan/buy your groceries from the "new" vegan shops ? How does that work for you, budget wise ? It looks to me ppl do save on the price of meat, but they spent the same money or more on other produce in vegan dedicated shops - and then they're told "isn’t your health worth the extra couple of bucks"
    - I do love my baking: noticed though every time I try a new vegan cake recipe it would be more expensive for me (produce cost and time spent at it) than what I grew up with. so I rarely bake vegan because of that !

@gozunda: any idea if the Pope accepted the offer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

mvl wrote: »
    But do you cook vegan/buy your groceries from the "new" vegan shops ? How does that work for you, budget wise ? It looks to me ppl do save on the price of meat, but they spent the same money or more on other produce in vegan dedicated shops - and then they're told "isn’t your health worth the extra couple of bucks"- I do love my baking: noticed though every time I try a new vegan cake recipe it would be more expensive for me (produce cost and time spent at it) than what I grew up with. so I rarely bake vegan because of that !

Hi. Not in relation to your post btw - but I really don't want this thread being dragged into to being about being anti (sic) 'vegan'. The article detailed in the first comment was about corporate interests trying to use the Pope, children and religion to persuade people to buy certain types of highly processed foodstuffs.

In the thread I note has attracted some of the usual -"this is anti vegan" rhetoric as an attempt to attack. The thread is not 'about' any dietary preference no matter to the usual small number of angry naysayers who've arrived along to wave their flag as a weapon in a silly attempt to stifle discussion, throw insult and to derail the thread. No thanks. See Klopps and other posts above for example. A bit of cop on needed tbh.

As to whether the Pope will accept the offer. I've no idea. But as someone pointed out isn't abstinence already a part of lent? I've no real expertise in that area I'm afraid.

Edit: Its causing a reaction alright and a negative one at that imo.

See: https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1083278/vegan-pope-francis-piers-morgan-the-pope-million-dollar-vegan-veganism-susanna-reid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

Blazer wrote: »
    Christ I hate vegans.
    Vegetarians are grand but vegans are sanctimonious pricks right up there with paedos and serial killers.
    Look at Corbyn. A failure at college and indeed as a politician and a vegan to boot. I couldn’t hate the tosser any more than what I already do.

Get a grip there Blazer.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 79 ✭✭Robert Wolfe

I am offering 1 millions dollars to any vegan who will eat meat every day during lent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

mvl wrote: »
    But do you cook vegan/buy your groceries from the "new" vegan shops ? How does that work for you, budget wise ? It looks to me ppl do save on the price of meat, but they spent the same money or more on other produce in vegan dedicated shops - and then they're told "isn’t your health worth the extra couple of bucks"
    - I do love my baking: noticed though every time I try a new vegan cake recipe it would be more expensive for me (produce cost and time spent at it) than what I grew up with. so I rarely bake vegan because of that !

Budget wise I'm probably better off when I look at it. Take aways were expensive, and I eat less in restaurants now.

All home cooking. I eat mostly whole foods and then as a weekly treat or whatever I'd fit in a Beyond Burger

But anyway I'm not short on cash so not a problem for me :pac:

Farmers now calling it a cult. Seems this stunt has them rattled in the boglands :pac:

Sorry just saw this now. Another example of a post designed to derail from the topic of the thread. Just to clarify no poster 'farmer's or otherwise here called anything a 'cult' :rolleyes:

gozunda wrote: »
    Sorry just saw this now. Another example of a post designed to derail from the topic of the thread. Just to clarify no poster 'farmer's or otherwise here called anything a 'cult' :rolleyes:

It was said in farmers forum when you were upset about how this topic went

It was said in farmers forum when you were upset about how this topic went

Lol Upset? You mean pointing out that the comment was being derailed? How the frack does what is said in another forum have anything to do with a topic about large multinational corporations pushing their products??? Maybe take your comment to the relevant forum them?

I just double checked and you're definitly the only one who mentioned 'cult' in this thread. Interestingly you are adding cultural stereotyping and insult to the usual negative manner of reply I've seen. God forbid anyone criticising farmers would get their hands dirty producing food 'in the boglands' (sic) It's a real pity that anyone who has been brainwashed to such an extent actually believe that what they are being fed by the likes of the Blue Horizon Corporation
    :eek:

Sorry to offend farmers

I'll try and be more gentle in future and maybe refer to you as the same as paedos and serial killers since that insult in this topic didn't draw criticism from you

Sorry to offend farmers

I'll try and be more gentle in future and maybe refer to you as the same as paedos and serial killers since that insult in this topic didn't draw criticism from you

You will find I've already highlighted all such replies in my post above. Maybe you should read it when I said there needed to be some cop on in the thread. But hey no - let's attack all farmers because that poster probably responded to the rubbish written by a small number of eejits.

You will find I've already highlighted all such replies in my post above. Maybe you should read it when I said there needed to be some cop on in the thread. But hey no - let's attack all farmers because that poster probably responded to the rubbish written by a small number of eejits.

Calm down, it's all a bit of craic at the end of the day

Calm down, it's all a bit of craic at the end of the day

Lol. Yeah its all mad Craic altogether. I reckon the Pope is on the floor holding his sides :pac: but there you go.

Lol. Yeah its all mad Craic altogether. I reckon the Pope is on the floor holding his sides :pac: but there you go.
    I'm not catholic myself: but he better doesn't give in, cause I'd be fuming at the catholic church then :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement