Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

why do gardai ask you what speed you were going?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Its nervous situation when getting pulled by guards, thou if nothing wrong was done why be offended, most guards are sound, grand they have to deal with animals daily so some might be cranked up. But comparing guards to most EU or even US cops they are soft here.

Not saying they should be anywhere close like they have in US, but being insulted by simple question one should know what speed limit is on the road and respond accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

scamalert wrote:
    Not saying they should be anywhere close like they have in US, but being insulted by simple question one should know what speed limit is on the road and respond accordingly.

Yeah but I don't think anyone here is saying they don't know what the speed limit is but it's the attitude of the gardai when they talk down to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Lack of originality?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

This actually happened.
    Stopped by Garda.
    I roll down the window.
    Garda your fly is open.
    Oh, thanks ...... I could charge you for careless driving. I'll let you off this time.

(better to try this only when the Garda's fly is open).

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

bobbyss wrote: »
    This really annoys me. This arrogance comes from never being challenged. I am assuming he had proof of speeding? I don't think you are legally required to open the window fully. Perhaps a bit to communicate. I would be interested to see what the law says in that regard. I would always follow legal instructions from a guard. But if the law says they must have proof of speeding via speed gun then I would argue the point with him. In a perfect world I would also have a camera with audio as back-up mounted in the car.

Why would anyone not open the window fully? If the Garda was so inclined there are powers available that allow them to drive your car if they want. I also imagine that any discretion for minor offences would be dispensed with. There are very few cars out there with absolutely everything correct on them, and I imagine that being awkward with the Garda just means you’re going to be treated similarly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

RobbieMD wrote:
    Why would anyone not open the window fully? If the Garda was so inclined there are powers available that allow them to drive your car if they want. I also imagine that any discretion for minor offences would be dispensed with. There are very few cars out there with absolutely everything correct on them, and I imagine that being awkward with the Garda just means you’re going to be treated similarly.

Some people probably do not like being told what to do. Especially when they are not obliged to.

Advertisement