Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison officer recruitment 2018

• 02-02-2018 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭

New jobs opened this morning.

Check public jobs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dien

Anyone else having problems signing up for this on publicjobs.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Dien wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems signing up for this on publicjobs.ie?

Won't work on phone need a computer with latest Adobe.

It wouldn't work till I put chrome on also.

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Might give it a go ... Are the pay scales a lot lower than the current PO's earn ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 brian00278

https://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/campaignAdvert/69976.htm

PAY AND ALLOWANCES

Salary
    As of 1 January 2018 the following salary scale applies to Recruit Prison Officers:

PPC €28,690.00 €30,113.00 €32,941.00

NORMAL MAX
    A different pay scale may apply if the individual has previously worked in the Public Service.

Entry will be at the minimum point of the scale.
    Work on Saturday, Sunday, public holidays and nights attract premium payments.

Recruit Prison Officers will also receive other allowances e.g. Operational Allowance (8% of annual
    salary).

The allocation of up to 360 additional hours will attract further premium payments.

The Additional Hours System provides for extra attendance by staff.

It involves the allocation of up to 360 hours maximum per person per annum. (Under this system a lower number of
    hours may be allocated, i.e. 240 hours, 112 hours, or nil hours.)

• Advertisement

Thanks Brian i wonder what the salary would be including all the premiums ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Bare in mind that the position you fill if you are successful will be in Dublin. It will most likely be Mountjoy (Phibsboro, Dublin 7) or Wheatfield/Cloverhill (Clondalkin, Dublin 22).

• Registered Users Posts: 14 IceOnMeKnee

Just to let you know, youll be in Dublin for a while..

Figured that but how long before earning 50k gross including premiums

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

User16 wrote: »
    Anyone pass the interview despite failing to pay a fine, and did a day in jail? Am I screwed or will they overlook it?
    Any advise appreciaed..

I know you can still pass if you've had the Probation Act applied to you. That's the one where you may have been charged with something minor, but they wipe your slate clean if you stay out of trouble and it goes away.

Not too sure of the situation you've presented though. Non payment of a fine doesn't affect you leaving the country or applying to must jobs but this isn't exactly most jobs either. Maybe just keep it quiet unless you're explicitly asked about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭JKerova1

Hopefully this campaign won't be as drawn out as the last one, though that may be wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Timtam1994

Any idea how many applied last year?

Question how does one find there employment record??? I can't remember all the years I worked where etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Star hurl

Can any recent recruits tell me how much roughly you would be coming out with a month . Just trying to compare with current job .

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭User16

Omackeral wrote: »
    I know you can still pass if you've had the Probation Act applied to you. That's the one where you may have been charged with something minor, but they wipe your slate clean if you stay out of trouble and it goes away.

Not too sure of the situation you've presented though. Non payment of a fine doesn't affect you leaving the country or applying to must jobs but this isn't exactly most jobs either. Maybe just keep it quiet unless you're explicitly asked about it.

Passed.. but hope the vetting isn't an issue. It was a very minor thing, and im of good character otherwise..fingers crossed..

I got an email asking me for a copy of my medical report. Surly its too early for that and they've made a mistake?

Timtam1994 wrote: »
    I got an email asking me for a copy of my medical report. Surly its too early for that and they've made a mistake?

When did you apply??

When did you apply??

2 weeks ago or so

2 weeks ago or so

It finishes tomorrow so they must be going through right away.

Had you any other contact??
    What exactly are they looking for.

• Advertisement

It finishes tomorrow so they must be going through right away.

Had you any other contact??
    What exactly are they looking for.

No that was their first contact with me.
    They want a medical/psychological report

No that was their first contact with me.
    They want a medical/psychological report

Oh right, didn't think that would be till much later.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 S00100668

Can anyone help me please ??
    Just curious I applied to the 2018 prison officer campaign the closing date is 22nd of February tomorrow so when should we hear if we got to stage 1 or not? Just would like to book the career services prison officer course on the 3rd of March it's not far away so wondering should i book it now ?? Be a waste of 150 euro if i don't get to stage 1.

If you have applied you are already waiting for Stage 1 (online assessment) so go ahead and book the course if you feel it will help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Julygirl105

Hi Guys,
    I’ve applied myself (the 16th).. Am I reading correctly that some of you have already had interviews?? I haven’t received any correspondence back and wasn’t expecting any until after today🤔🤔 Anyone any idea of how long the process takes from start to finish or when they are looking at getting people started on the training? I’ve read a bit online and there seems to be a lot of steps involved in the recruitment process. And then if you pass all stages people seem to be waiting up to a year to be called from the panel...

Hi Guys,
    I’ve applied myself (the 16th).. Am I reading correctly that some of you have already had interviews?? I haven’t received any correspondence back and wasn’t expecting any until after today🀔🀔 Anyone any idea of how long the process takes from start to finish or when they are looking at getting people started on the training? I’ve read a bit online and there seems to be a lot of steps involved in the recruitment process. And then if you pass all stages people seem to be waiting up to a year to be called from the panel...

It will be 2019 as they have full class for this year so I heard.

Hi Guys,
    I’ve applied myself (the 16th).. Am I reading correctly that some of you have already had interviews?? I haven’t received any correspondence back and wasn’t expecting any until after today🤔🤔 Anyone any idea of how long the process takes from start to finish or when they are looking at getting people started on the training? I’ve read a bit online and there seems to be a lot of steps involved in the recruitment process. And then if you pass all stages people seem to be waiting up to a year to be called from the panel...

Any interviews held recently would be from the 2016 campaign so no need to worry. It is a drawn out process but from what I've read it hints at taking in new classes this coming Autumn. You will be e-mailed with plenty of notice for the online assessment.

Thanks a mil for that punisher5112 and Dien... Still waiting to hear about online assessments.. Anybody gets dates yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Snodgrasssteve

Kinda surprised by the pay scales, very low in my opinion. What does anyone else reckon?

• Advertisement

Kinda surprised by the pay scales, very low in my opinion. What does anyone else reckon?

Ye, you would think the scales would be higher alright. But I think if you add in the premium payments for sat, sun, nights etc and the 8% operational allowance and the additional hours system it could be an ok wage... In saying that I’m living in Dublin and am married so prob have it handier than say someone who is outside of Dublin and single having to pay rent prices here, it mightn’t get you very far...

Advertisement