Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

We're getting dumber

Options
  • 13-09-2020 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

https://twitter.com/kurtisconner/status/1304936443882733569

This tweet has gone viral with 216,000 'likes', as if Kurtis Conner, whoever he is, has stumbled across the contradiction of the century and shared it among the masses.

Thing is, the fella in the comments, Steve Brunner, is absolutely right. It's not a contradiction at all.

Do I support trans rights? Nope. It's not because I hate transgenders. I don't support trans rights in the same way I don't support Blackburn Rovers. Like, I know of their existence and good luck to them, but ultimately I have no feeling toward them - the trans and Blackburn - one way or the other. And that's what Steve Brunner is obviously talking about here, but instead of engaging our own brain and using it to think, we automatically grab a pitchfork and run in the direction where the 'Witch!' chants are coming from.

We are a stupid species and that's all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

You should update the title to "Where getting dumber"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yes, but as the BLM activist's say, to make a comparisons, they say "if you are not doing anything to fight racism then you are part of the problem".

So, there is no way you can escape. You are either with us or against us, whether you like it or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Hammer89 wrote: »

This tweet has gone viral with 216,000 'likes', as if Kurtis Conner, whoever he is, has stumbled across the contradiction of the century and shared it among the masses.

Thing is, the fella in the comments, Steve Brunner, is absolutely right. It's not a contradiction at all.

Do I support trans rights? Nope. It's not because I hate transgenders. I don't support trans rights in the same way I don't support Blackburn Rovers. Like, I know of their existence and good luck to them, but ultimately I have no feeling toward them - the trans and Blackburn - one way or the other. And that's what Steve Brunner is obviously talking about here, but instead of engaging our own brain and using it to think, we automatically grab a pitchfork and run in the direction where the 'Witch!' chants are coming from.

You have heard of the Word “ Indifferent “ and what it means.

I am Indifferent to You.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

At least certain segments of the population are practically ruling themselves out of the gene pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

blinding wrote: »
    You have heard of the Word “ Indifferent “ and what it means.

I am Indifferent to You.

According to them that'd make you Hammerphobic.

• Advertisement

According to them that'd make you Hammerphobic.
    Is that anything sexual. I’m desperate !;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

But is it not true? If someone doesn't support LGBT rights - i.e is opposed to the rights of said people... seems to fit the bill?

Although "transphobic" certainly gets used incorrectly (if you accept that people can be trans, live and let live, use the pronouns they prefer... but draw the line at agreeing a trans woman is a woman/trans man is a man... you are not transphobic).

But is it not true? If someone doesn't support LGBT rights - i.e is opposed to the rights of said people... seems to fit the bill?
    They can do as they fooking please so long as it is legal ~ ~ I am in the ~ ~ I don’t give a fook, not campy camp ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Thinking about the same sex marriage referendum. I would see those who voted yes as supporting. Those who voted no as against. What about those who didn't care enough one way or another to get off their bums to vote? They didn't "support" the motion, but they also weren't "against" it. Where does that fit into the if you're not with us you're against us? Just curious.
    I think the whole thing depends on your definition of "support" and whether it has to involve effort or not. I don't sign petitions on the street, but it doesn't mean I disagree with whatever the cause is. Declining to donate money to something doesn't mean I'm against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

AllForIt wrote: »
    Yes, but as the BLM activist's say, to make a comparisons, they say "if you are not doing anything to fight racism then you are part of the problem".

So, there is no way you can escape. You are either with us or against us, whether you like it or not.

BLM want to also do away with the traditional nuclear family.

Obviously, and this should go without saying, black peoples lives matter the same way that all of human existence matters but there is certainly militant BLM supporters who are essentially telling people what to do and if you are not with them then you must be against them.

It has become way too much of a trendy catch phrase and actually cheapens the message it initially espoused.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

AllForIt wrote: »

They may say that, but it is still complete boll0vks. Unfortunately plenty of people fall for this **** and support a marxist movement.

BLM want to also do away with the traditional nuclear family.

Obviously, and this should go without saying, black peoples lives matter the same way that all of human existence matters but there is certainly militant BLM supporters who are essentially telling people what to do and if you are not with them then you must be against them.

It has become way too much of a trendy catch phrase and actually cheapens the message it initially espoused.
    If you question any aspect of the BLM movement, you hate black people. End of. Even if you treat the black people you meet the same way as you'd treat anyone, even if you don't give a stuff about skin colour, even if mistreatment/discrimination due to skin colour disgusts you, even if Apartheid and segregation in the South anger and sadden you... you utterly hate black people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Replies certainly prove the assertion in the title!

People who say "we" are getting stupider need to speak for themselves.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Replies certainly prove the assertion in the title!
    Why would Heterosexuals give two fooks about what Homosexuals / Trans are doing so long as it is legal.

Maybe its not the least bit interesting to them ! !

Maybe Folks of ~ ~ “ All Types “ People are not that interested in You ! ! !:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

But is it not true? If someone doesn't support LGBT rights - i.e is opposed to the rights of said people... seems to fit the bill

No because there's a difference between hating somebody and being absolutely apathetic toward them, and yet both could be considered 'non-supportive'. The man who wrote the comment is arguing - rightly - that you can be apathetic toward the trans movement without being a transphobe and yet over 200,000 people think he's accidentally outed himself as an idiot and hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Blackburn Lives Matter

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Although "transphobic" certainly gets used incorrectly (if you accept that people can be trans, live and let live, use the pronouns they prefer... but draw the line at agreeing a trans woman is a woman/trans man is a man... you are not transphobic).

But they didn't put a view of opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I watched The Social Dilemma on Netflix. Sobering stuff. You are actually getting stupider. It’s not really your fault though. You’ve become an addict.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I think we're as intelligent as a species as we ever were.
    It's just that the internet, Twitter in particular, gives a platform to this sort of nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

We have IQ tests that are designed to help determine the intellectual capacity.

For me, the classic IQ test is the "walking through airport security time trial".

This should be used to group the humans very loosely according to the length of time it takes to walk from one side of the machine to the other.

It incorporates spatial awareness and the ability to process instruction in a coherent and timely fashion.

For example, if you fail to complete this very simple task in a business like timeframe then we must question the intellectual chops of the individual concerned.

We have IQ tests that are designed to help determine the intellectual capacity.

For me, the classic IQ test is the "walking through airport security time trial".

This should be used to group the humans very loosely according to the length of time it takes to walk from one side of the machine to the other.

It incorporates spatial awareness and the ability to process instruction in a coherent and timely fashion.

For example, if you fail to complete this very simple task in a business like timeframe then we must question the intellectual chops of the individual concerned.

I see your point, but it doesn't rule out the people who simply don't give a Fu(k.
    It's not just 'getting dumber' but more selfish to boot.

Your Face wrote: »
    I think we're as intelligent as a species as we ever were.
    It's just that the internet, Twitter in particular, gives a platform to this sort of nonsense.
    I think people are getting lazier though, which leads to stupidity.

Nobody is exempt - it's to do with modern living. But some people have abandoned engaging their brain at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,486 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It's better if stupid people are lazy. They cause less havoc than the energetic ones.

The FNG wrote: »
    Black lives don't matter until Trans lives do.

How's that for woke?

Think it plays well with the thread title :pac:

Maybe we should start with “ Wealth Privilege “

Look at how often Wealthy Hypocrites in Ireland and around the World ~ ~ Pontificate about this that and the other about stuff that they would not put up with for themselves behind their Huge Walls and Huge Gates ! !

Lets go After “ Wealth Privilege "

kenmm wrote: »
    I see your point, but it doesn't rule out the people who simply don't give a Fu(k.
    It's not just 'getting dumber' but more selfish to boot.

Isn't that worse in a way.

I'd nearly go as far as to say i'd accept stupidity over ignorance or selfishness.

I think people are getting lazier though, which leads to stupidity.

Nobody is exempt - it's to do with modern living. But some people have abandoned engaging their brain at all.

This isn't is the fault of technology. This has happened at pretty much every stage of human development for any number of reasons.

• Advertisement

It's mad - when education is mandatory until 16.

Advertisement