Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boardsies Decide : Greatest FIFA World Cup Goal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Edmilson, like an overhead, great re-adjustment.
    Cambiasso, great team goal.
    Gotze, not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

First time ive been online for one of these now. cheers for doing it Omack.

1. Cambiasso - Remember watching it live. Beautiful team goal. Ive heard a few people saying before that "sure they were just tapping it about for 20 passes". Balls to that. They were probing. And when the opportunity came to quicken the pace, they did. Starting with the 1/2 30 yards out the last 5 passes were absolute perfect. In rhythm and stride. Gorgeous.

2. Gotze - Great goal and the fact that its a final definitely means more. Just doesnt come close to Cambiasso though for me.

3. Edmilson - Lovely finish but easily marked down (in my mind) because the keeper shouldve saved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,723 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

1. Cambiaso - the definitive team goal, with brilliant patient buildup, a little moment of magic for the assist, and a nice first time finish to cap it all off.

2. Gotze - technically a very good goal in its own right, but really its the occasion that gets it the nod over Edmilson's. In a game where everyone else kept fluffing their chances (Higuain most notably), Super Mario came on and did the business with a fantastic first touch and finish. Great moment for him personally as well, all the talent in the world but very unlucky with injuries and a metabolic illness.

3. Edmilson - brilliant technique in an instant. Some reaction to adjust himself after the ball took a deflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Delighted to be able to join in as the evening ones haven't suited me

I'd give my votes to

1. Gotze
    2. Cambiasso
    3. Edmilson

Gotze is purely due to the fact that it was a world cup winning goal and it was so important moreso that it being a thing of beauty

Cambiasso's goal was an amazing team goal but without the back heel it would have been a far weaker effort

Edmilson is a nice finish but he swung his leg at a ball hanging in the air where it wasn't moving at a speed but it is a lovely body adjustment to connect so cleanly.

Don't think the winner of this tournament will come from this set!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Just under 10 minutes left

• Advertisement

All caught up on the thread and happy to see who'd I have voted for in most instances have gone through :)

Cambiasso 17
    Edmilson 13
    Gotze 13

Another dreaded shootout for the runner-up spot... hold tight.

giphy.gif

Ok let's do this.
    Necro wrote: »
    Gotze - the significance of the goal mainly in comparison to the other two in this group

Edmilson - great tekkers.

1-0 Gotze
    Baggly wrote: »
    Edmilson - Love an overhead - bit of flair

Gotze - not pushed, context of the goal is better than the goal itself.

1-1
    cdeb wrote: »
    That Edmilson goal is one of my favourites. Pure Brazil, down to the fact that he's the bloody centre-half.

Then Götze third. Worth a nomination, but not on the level of the other two.

2-1 Edmilson
    Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Edmilson, like an overhead, great re-adjustment.

Gotze, not impressed.

3-1 Edmilson
    MrKingsley wrote: »
    2. Gotze - Great goal and the fact that its a final definitely means more. Just doesnt come close to Cambiasso though for me.

3. Edmilson - Lovely finish but easily marked down (in my mind) because the keeper shouldve saved it.

3-2 Edmilson
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    2. Gotze - technically a very good goal in its own right, but really its the occasion that gets it the nod over Edmilson's. In a game where everyone else kept fluffing their chances (Higuain most notably), Super Mario came on and did the business with a fantastic first touch and finish. Great moment for him personally as well, all the talent in the world but very unlucky with injuries and a metabolic illness.

3. Edmilson - brilliant technique in an instant. Some reaction to adjust himself after the ball took a deflection.

3-3
    lassykk wrote: »

1. Gotze
    2. Cambiasso
    3. Edmilson

Gotze is purely due to the fact that it was a world cup winning goal and it was so important moreso that it being a thing of beauty

Edmilson is a nice finish but he swung his leg at a ball hanging in the air where it wasn't moving at a speed but it is a lovely body adjustment to connect so cleanly.

By virtue of Gotze being ranked 1 and Edmilson being ranked 3 I have to give the point here to Mario Gotze. 4-3.

Advancing to the Knockout Stage is Mario Gotze

• Advertisement

Davor Suker (Croatia vs Netherlands, 1998)

VS

Roger Milla (Cameroon vs Romania, 1990)

VS

Toto Schillaci (Italy vs Ireland, 1990)

Jesus that's a weak group!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Roger Milla by a country mile out of these three. Great finish.

Suker next cos megs and right in the corner.

Schillachi - Pfft... poor keeping to give a tap in really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Omackeral wrote: »
    Yup.

A rebound, a shot, and another shot.

Toto third - nice move and all, but Bonner should have just tipped it away for a corner and we'd never have heard of the guy here

Suker's shot is a bit more technically pleasing, so I guess that over Milla?

Jesus you arent wrong there.

1. Suker - Lovely clean strike and there was a couple of passes in the build up to be fair.

2. Milla - Relatively clean strike

3. Schillaci - Open goal. Anything with keeper blunders will automatically be making their way to the bottom of my rankings

I was thinking exactly the same!

I thought initially it was going to be Suker's chip against Schmeichel (I just saw Suker before I saw Netherlands!) but my memory clearly ain't what it used to be as that was in Euro 96!

I'll go

Milla for nostalgic reasons more than anything
    Suker number two cos someone has to be second
    Schillachi can fúck off - who nominated this heart breaking moment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Yep :o

Milla for the celebration
    Suker for the assist

Strange there were only two in this round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

1. Suker, I'm a sucker for a bottom corner finish across the body

2. Milla, for a man of his advancing years it's quite the feat. Lovely first touch too.

3. Schillaci, it's a tap-in featuring some frankly dreadful goalkeeping.

10 minutes remain here

Suker 15
    Milla 15

Schillaci 6

• Advertisement

This next group coming up is a 1990's affair and a little bit more exciting. Hope you enjoy it!

Diego Maradona (Argentina vs Greece, 1994)

VS

Sunday Oliseh (Nigeria vs Spain, 1998)

VS

Saeed Al Owairan (Saudi Arabia vs Belgium, 1994)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Saeed Al Owairan - what a run, what a finish

Maradona - great power in the strike

Oliseh - savage strike but prefer the others a little bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Maradona - lovely skillful goal. Love a jink, i do.

Saeed Al Owairan - i mean the Belgians keep falling over in front of him, but i suppose he had a hand in that. Love a jinky run, i do.

Sunday Oliseh - its well hit but not special like the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Maradona - excellent team goal.

Oliseh - remember that game, great stuff. Good thunderbastard of a shot.

Al Owairan - great goal but that defending :pac: it's my third because of that.

Oh this a properly tough call to be honest

I do love a coked off his head Maradona celebration but I don't think the celebration should sway me!

I think it does just edge it for me on the goal alone though

1. Maradona - lovely build up and a great finish
    2. Al Owairan - this would be first in this group for me if it wasn't for the mis-control just before the finish - still a great goal though
    3. Oliseh - nice strike but doesn't resonate with me as world cup moments I remember like the other two.

Maradona - excellent team goal.

Oliseh - remember that game, great stuff. Good thunderbastard of a shot.

Al Owairan - great goal but that defending :pac: it's my third because of that.

Well Skyline. We meet again. What shall we cross swords over this time, i wonder?

Baggly wrote: »
    Well Skyline. We meet again. What shall we cross swords over this time, i wonder?

That was a wonderful feud gents. Hennes vs the Elephant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

This is tough.

I think Al-Owairan gets top vote, even if it did screw us over by giving us Holland instead of Belgium in the last 16. If Maradona had scored that one, it wouldn't have stopped being talked about (if that sentence makes grammatical sense!)

I love the one-touch stuff on the edge for Maradona's goal, and I think that just pips it over Olisehs, which is a lovely clean strike and would have walked the previous group. Bit unlucky here though

• Advertisement

That was a wonderful feud gents. Hennes vs the Elephant.

Only one winner, but.

*pretends to search notes*

Who won it again, Skyline?

Advertisement