Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last of the Summer Wine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Why not run this with Ferris & Cranky D? Reading you ran it solo?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Is it M effort or M pace that matters in the plan? I saw the run on strava and the heart rate looked far beyond marathon effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

OOnegative wrote: »
    Why not run this with Ferris & Cranky D? Reading you ran it solo?

Their pace is a good bit faster than mine - if I meet up for these runs it’s only for warmup, cooldown or coffee after! We do meet up for easy runs regularly enough.

Is it M effort or M pace that matters in the plan? I saw the run on strava and the heart rate looked far beyond marathon effort!

There’s an option to monitor HR but the advice is to prioritise pace. That said, I have run some of the tempos by HR when the conditions - eg hills + wind - made pace too unreliable. I didn’t look at HR at all during today’s run. Knew it would be high towards the end. Wasn’t expecting it to be as high as it was in the ‘easy’ half, however. Had noticed it was a little elevated when I got up, partly die to poor sleep I’d imagine. Avg was 83% of HRR which is a little high alright - would prefer these runs to be 80%. I am confident the target pace is OK though, and have actually reduced it slightly based on HR observation during the plan.

Week 14 cont.

Fri 4 Sep

10.1k recovery

Met up with S for our now customary Grangegorman and PP 10k. Chatty and restorative.

Sat 5 Sep

16.1k easy @ 5.33

In Donegal, so a variation on one of the standard 10-mile routes, taking in the nearby town lands of Croagh and Castleogary. Very pleasant - these Hanson ‘easy’ weekends are badly needed sometimes.

Sun 6 Sep

16.3k easy @ 5:50

First couple of miles with A, then we split up and I headed down around the route of the St. John’s Point 10k - a race I hope to get to do again sometime. Another glorious morning, washed clean by the earlier rain.

I had signed up to run 800m at the National Masters today, but the timing didn’t suit, as the requirement to show up at the stadium 2 hours before the event would have been too much of a rush, never mind the long drive home which would have seen me show up stiff as a board. So I canned it. I would have been the only M55 in my event anyway. Still, it seems a shame to waste a rare opportunity to race. Its great that it went ahead, and I see there were some excellent performances and a couple of new records set. Kudos!

This week: 90 kms (56 miles).
    This year: 2,507 (1,558)

• Advertisement

Hanson ‘Galway Bay’ Week 15

Only four weeks to go. I think by the end of this week we will have a final decision from Galway. Not thinking about the prospect of not racing, really - the Hanson training continues. The plan peaks this week, at 63 miles.

Mon 7 Sep

11.3k easy @ 5:48 (64% HRR)

7 miles from Scoil Uí Chonaill GAA taking in a beach loop on Dollymount. Supposed to be 8 but time was short. Passed a runner I know (twice) who looked like he was doing a tough session. Turned out he was running a 26.2+ miler. Muggy night for it, but them’s the virtual race times we live in!

Tue 8 Sep

Strength: 3 x 2 miles (800m jog recovery) (Avg HRR 83%, Max 91%)

Late getting out again - my weather app was saying it was 21 degrees and I wouldn’t argue with that (Garmin later suggested closer to 22). So another sticky evening in store. I had some tailwind for the first rep, clocking a 4:38/k average against the 4:41 target. This one felt OK - properly comfortably hard - as did most of the next, until I turned for home at Bayside and into the prevailing wind. Averaged 4:39/k for this one, giving the leeway back over the more difficult final rep entirely into the wind. Delighted to hear the watch beep at the wooden bridge, making up yesterday’s missing mile on the jog home.

Splits (target 15:04):
    14:54 14:58 15:18

Passed the actor who plays Billy Murphy from The Young Offenders, near St. Anne’s Park. Took a few secs for the penny to drop, but I can confirm he was talking in a loud Cork accent. :pac:

This week: 30 kms (18 miles)
    This year: 2,537 (1,577)

Week 15 cont.

Wed 9 Sep

Rest.

Thu 10 Sep

21.2k inc 16.1 @ MP (80% HRR)

First of three 10-mile MP runs on the plan. Another early start. Less windy today, water was very still as I jogged along the seafront warming up. Bumped into Ferris again, then FBOT and once again we parted company at the Baths as they headed off on their sub-3 paced tempo. I took a slightly longer warmup than usual (two miles) this morning as I felt my HR was taking a bit longer to settle, but ignored it once I got into the MP. The last few runs on this route have been fairly windy so this morning’s outward leg actually felt a bit harder than usual with a much lighter tailwind. After the honeymoon mile one, I was feeling fairly challenged for a couple of miles. Passed KennyG coming in the opposite direction at Bayside, so it was good to see the full Hanson contingent out nice and early this morning. Enjoyed waving at the sub-3 train early enough on their return leg, before turning myself at Sutton Cross and girding the loins for the longer-than-usual return leg, as I’d front loaded the warmup and had to get all the way to Alfie Byrne Road before hitting 10 miles. Again, I tried to lean into the breeze a little to minimise the effects, and I was happy at the way I was able to get in the zone and reel off the kms, throwing the odd eye on the average pace to make sure I didn’t underdo things on the way back. The result was probably the strongest MP run in some time, based on how I was feeling. Pleased afterwards to see the HR was right where it should be, suggesting things are coming together nicely. Finished the 10 miles right on the money in terms of pace (7:41/m) and HR reserve (168 or 80%).

A good one. The miles are piling up on the Zoom Flys, I’ll miss them when they’re done. Can’t justify buying another pair as I’ve got a couple of pairs of Pegasus sitting in their boxes ready to go.

This week: 51 kms (32 miles)
    This year: 2,558 (1,590)

Week 15 cont.

Fri 11 Sep

11.3k recovery @ 5:50

Seven easy miles on the seafront. Lovely evening, but the run was a bit of a plod.

Sat 12 Sep

8.2 mi @ 8:45

Met up with Ferris for this morning’s eight, taking in St. Anne’s Park and the far end of Dollymount beach. Lots of chat about what might happen re Galway and possible alternatives. Enjoyed the run, which was just about within easy range. We were joined for coffee after by M. Lots of familiar faces around St. Anne’s.

Sun 13 Sep

17.9k @ 5:18

Supposed to be 16 miles steady. Blew this one. Sun was hot and I was not feeling great after a late night. By the time I reached the turnaround at Dun Laoghaire, I was looking for an excuse to stop and talked myself into a 99 at Teddy’s van. Never really got going again and the HR was too high so I jumped on a DART at Blackrock. This doesn’t happed too often so I won’t dwell on it. I know where the problem lies, and I'll possibly be repeating this week again soon anyway.

This week: 93 kms (58 miles).
    This year: 2,600 (1,618)

Hanson ??? Week 16

Well, we have been put out of our misery again, with Galway Bay postponed til May 2021. This happened during my Tues session.

Mon 14 Sep

10.9k easy @ 5:40 (61% HRR)

6 easy miles from the GAA club again - deviated towards St. Anne’s this time, which was quite busy with many kids and adult sports training going on, and many strollers enjoying the balmy conditions. Was thinking this would be the first run of less than an hour in several weeks, but I miscalculated the route and ended up being out for almost an extra km. On retrieving the GAA kid, I found myself joining in a fruitless search of the darkening pitches for the coach’s lost car keys (and our lad’s dropped fitbit). No luck on either count. :( Enjoyed the run though - although legs quite tired.

Tue 15 Sep

Strength: 4 x 1.5 miles (800m jog recovery) (No HR strap)

I am delighted to be back in the office, hopefully for a while as working from home doesn’t really agree with me. I’m also starting a new job contract, in the same place as the last job, so the new office is also the old. One of its features is that it’s in the attic of a four storey building with no lift, so I’ve been reconditioning my legs to the stairs. It’s in Trinity College, and one of the perks is having a grass track available during the summer months. I hadn’t expected to find the track marked out at all this year, considering there isn’t really any demand, but sure enough it was lined and looking quite inviting, although the grass is a little longer than usual. Anyway I decided it would be wrong under the circumstances to do this session anywhere else, despite the sweltering lunchtime heat. I found all of the reps tough, to be honest. The legs were still quite heavy, but hit the target pace (7:31/mi) quite well. This would have been an easier session on a road or a real track, but it’s good to be back in the auld environs.

Splits (target 11:16):
    11:14 11:14 11:15 11:15

Enjoyed a sandwich in the same College Park afterwards, watching an Asian runner in long sleeves and long trousers running laps. Quite a few laps. When she finished, she retrieved a raincoat from a nearby bench. I suppose acclimatisation takes a while.

This week: 28 kms (17 miles)
    This year: 2,628 (1,633)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Congrats on the new job, the track looked fab in the strava photo. Is there a plan B for D-Day now Galway is off?

• Advertisement

Congrats on the new job, the track looked fab in the strava photo. Is there a plan B for D-Day now Galway is off?

Cheers, AM, nice to have the track all right, even if only for a couple of weeks.

It's Plan C we need as Galway was already Plan B - not sure yet. One or two options, but it looks like anything outside Dublin is just too risky to plan, as there's a possibility of travel restrictions. Might have to be a TT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

If you are looking at options, it's not a marathon but half of something might be better than nothing.

Tralee Marathon fb page
    We are pleased to confirm that the deferred Tralee Summer Solstice Half Marathon will now go ahead on October 25th. Registration will re-open in the next few days. The following restrictions will be in place for the event:
    > For operational reasons only the Half will take place. The 10K will be deferred to a later date, entrants from the 10K will be transferred to the Half, or if they prefare to the new date for the 10K (date to be announced soon).
    > The event will be limited to 200 entrants in line with Athletics Ireland recommendations.
    > Strategies will be put in place to discourage spectators.
    > The race will start in 4 waves of 50 runners (socially distanced).
    > Participants will have their numbers posted out to them.
    > Start is on Basin Road, Tralee. Finish on Neil Armstrong Way Tralee.
    > Finisher Medals & Tech Tops for all Finishers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Murph_D wrote: »
    Cheers, AM, nice to have the track all right, even if only for a couple of weeks.

It's Plan C we need as Galway was already Plan B - not sure yet. One or two options, but it looks like anything outside Dublin is just too risky to plan, as there's a possibility of travel restrictions. Might have to be a TT.

Make Plan C a TT... at least then you have some control over it. You have built that fitness with consistency. Be a shame not to test it. Could be creative if a 42.2k TT is daunting or would involve a boring number of laps. Something new.. a 30k TT. You have been running 16k at your planned MP. The question I most asked myself during the plan was "can I really hold this for 16 more miles?" A 30-32k go at maintaining that pace after your 10 day taper would indicate a decent return for the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Wasn't there a crew that ran mid week marathons for a while there, can't remember the name but low number turn outs, 2 lap course etc. I wonder if they are still operating? Probably not...

TT sounds like your only option really given the ever changing situation, especially up there - you might be on level 5 before long! You've all put in a great bank of training to date, it would be a shame not to do something together in some way shape or form.

Again, a TT is a waste of time, energy & everything else........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Again, a TT is a waste of time, energy & everything else........

But what if there's a Beanie hat in the offing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Duanington

healy1835 wrote: »
    But what if there's a Beanie hat in the offing?

That changes things !

Although, I have to say - I've no love for TTs myself either, I just don't see the point.

I don't mind TTs as long as they are 5k or shorter. Preferably 3k or shorter. There's a Plan C hatching, depending on what happens in the next couple of weeks. For now, training continues!

Week 16 cont.

Wed 16 Sep

Rest. While I’ve definitely been feeling tired lately, the day off still gets me a bit antsy.

Thu 17 Sep

21.1k inc 16.1 @ MP (76% HRR)

Second of the 10-mile MP sessions. I felt good on the way out the door, having checked resting HR just after waking - everything normal, despite the usual spotty sleep. Properly dark when I went out the door, but a pleasant morning with not much wind. Warmed up and started the MP at the usual spot, a little before the Baths. Was wearing ’The Shoes’ again today, and although the noise was annoying me (anyone remember Gerald McBoingBoing?) they seemed to be helping me cut through the gentle headwind nicely enough.

Met Ferris coming back in the other direction at about 4.5 miles, so he must have only started a few minutes before me. No sign of KennyG this morning though. :( I just plodded through this one, lost in thought for most of it, and it felt like the route was eaten up in no time. I was keeping an eye on the watch, and while never more than a second or two off the pace, I tended to fall asleep the odd time and have to inject a little pace, including in the final km. Ferris joined me for the last couple of hundred metres, having completed his cooldown, and we had a little chat about the various options that might be open, or closed.

The run was a good one - on target, consistent pace, low HR - an average of 162 this week, or 76% HRR, easily the lowest yet. There’s no doubt that the shoes make a difference

This week: 49 kms (30 miles)
    This year: 2,649 (1,647)

Week 16 cont.

Fri 18 Sep

Rest. An unscheduled rest day, just to step back a little.

Sat 19 Sep

17.6k @ 5:38 (no HRM)

An 8am meet-up with Ferris and FBOT. We did a circuit of St. Anne’s then headed out the coast, looping through Baldoyle and Balgriffin back to the Park. Great to have the company and the route was enjoyable too - the absence of a footpath on the backroad to Balgriffin kept us on our toes. Lots of new house/apartment construction encroaching on the cabbage fields of North County Dublin. Felt good on this one, and with FBOT in the group, I didn’t have to do much of the talking. ;)

Sun 20 Sep

20.7k with 16.1k steady @ 5:11 (71% HRR)

As we are rewinding to week 14 next week in order to stretch the plan out to accommodate an alternative marathon possibility, I felt I could deviate from the scheduled 10 easy and make up for some of last week’s abandoned steady LR miles. I asked Garmin Connect to generate a route heading North at the outset, and I was intrigued to find it bringing me home from the airport via a road I don’t think I’ve ever even driven before, never mind negotiated on foot. Hence I discovered the delights of Stockhole Lane, an interesting stretch which had my HR up a few beats as I had to dodge traffic when the footpath ran out for a couple of miles. Interesting road, which contains among its landmarks hayfields, a couple of halting sites, and the HQ of the Athletic Union League, which brought back memories of being a left winger back in my football years (still a bit of a lefty, it has to be said). :) It’s always great to discover new parts of the city and its hinterland. It was also great to finally be going downhill after the long climb up the old airport road. Completed the 10 miles in the grounds of Beaumont Hospital, and jogged the rest of the way back to D3.

Felt very strong this morning. I think having breakfast before this run definitely helped - most of the sessions and LRs to date have been done on empty.

This week: 87 kms (54 miles).
    This year: 2,688 (1,670)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

North County Dublin? We're not far off pumpkin growing season out here.

North County Dublin? We're not far off pumpkin growing season out here.

Save us a couple, will ya? :D

I haven’t given up on the M training, but it’s in cold storage for a week or 10 days. I’ve entered the Down Royal event so will resume Hanson shortly, halfway through Week 15, with some sort of race effort - hopefully a real one - in mind. This possibility might be becoming more remote, though, as the situation in NI isn’t looking very promising at the moment. Breaking Hanson up is not ideal, of course, but these are extraordinary times! I started this week thinking of taking an easy few days to just reset some of the clocks a bit. That plan had changed by the end.

Mon 21 Sep

8.8k easy @ 5:48 (53% HRR)

Five and half miles from the GAA club. It was muggy and I felt suitably sluggish after the previous day’s steady LR. St. Anne’s was full of evening strollers, football trainers and joggers of all shapes and sizes, including me.

Tue 22 Sep

Strength: 5 x 1k (400m jog recovery) (No HR strap)

Another session on the Trinity Track. I chose the 5x1k because it was the session I missed when I skipped week 5 of Hanson. That was designed as a speed session, of course - I switched this to something more ‘strength’ related. The reason for this was because a few runners I know were talking about a TT half marathon effort at the weekend, and I was considering joining in. I tried to do most of these at HM race pace to get a feel for it - so a few seconds faster than the usual ‘strength’ pace of 4:31/k. Felt tough, especially on the grass. Downgraded to MP for the last rep - wouldn’t want to be overdoing it. ;)

Wed 23 Sep

Rest.

Thu 24 Sep

8.1k easy at 5:48 (No HRR monitor)

Just a few easy miles around the Collins Ave loop after dark.

Fri 25 Sep

Rest. An extra day off. Why not - haven’t I been working fairly hard? :pac:

Sat 26 Sep

TT 21.42k @ 4:27 (83% HRR)

https://www.strava.com/activities/4113252926

Delighted with this. I had an excellent night’s sleep by my standards and was up, feeling good, just after 6am for some porridge, coffee, and a look at the calculator to finalise the planned pace for the day. My half PB from Charleville (2017), 1:34:17, equates to 4:28 per K or 7:11 per mile. I figured getting close to that in a TT would be an achievement, even though I’ve been training well this year, with plenty of mileage, and have the right to be relatively ambitious. So 4:27/7:10 was the goal. The course was three laps of the North Road/Chesterfield circuit, with a bit added on at each end. I set off with the group of about six runners, and although I expected this would break up fairly soon, it held together for the entire first lap, and I found myself in the rare position of running well with a group, all taking turns to do a bit of the work. A couple pushed ahead in lap two, where I worked hard to stay switched on during the difficult middle third, where the North Road drag bit harder and it was tempting to start feeling sorry for yourself. We were down to three at the start of the third lap, and I pushed on myself with about three miles to go - working hard, feeling pretty strong, but missing the efficiency and motivation of the group. But needs must, and it was tough by now to keep the goal in sight as the pace inevitably dropped on the drag. Tried to just pick out some targets among the many runners in the park, and managed to keep things moving, although I was starting to leak time. A glance at the watch with 2k to go suggested a strong finish would be necessary, and I was delighted to be able to summon an increased effort for the final stretch down Chesterfield and up the Odd Lamp Road. Being a TT, it wasn’t clear where to finish so I made sure to go well over the distance just in case of a dispute. ;)

Job done, average pace 4:27 for a ‘Strava PB’ of 1:34:01.

It’s a good improvement on Bohermeen earlier in the year, but of course I had the magic shoes this time. That said, I’ve no doubt I’d have gotten a bit more out of a real race, especially in the last few miles. In fact, I didn’t even have to lie down for a bit at the end of this one, so a bit left in the tank for sure.

Leaving out the little bits at either end, the three laps - at about 30:14, 30:33 and 30:38 were pretty consistent, so I’m very happy with the effort. Hopefully the race fitness can get properly tested soon.

Sun 27 Sep

8.2k recovery @ 5:56

The auld bones were creaky enough during this, and plenty of feedback from the quads, which have been protesting since Saturday afternoon. Good to have that feeling again.

This week: 56 kms (35 miles).
    This year: 2,744 (1,705)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Congrats on your strava PB :)
    TT's are not easy so well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

That's one impressive run. You'd most certainly have gotten more out of yourself in a race but that's for another day.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Congrats on the PB D, very well deserved from the training block to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

That must have felt good after the block of consistency you put down. Sure we would all probably go faster in a race but therin lies the purpose of a TT. A reality check, validation of your progress. If it was 4 weeks out from a race you know a specific race build and taper would give you than 1% more. In your case a 93:xx!

Nice running against the clock

What’s the POA now D with Galway gone, still a marathon TT with your fellow DNS crew?

What’s the POA now D with Galway gone, still a marathon TT with your fellow DNS crew?

As mentioned above, Down Royal on the 24th is the current thinking. I've entered anyway, who knows what will happen. If I don't run a marathon by that weekend I'll call it a day.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    As mentioned above, Down Royal on the 24th is the current thinking. I've entered anyway, who knows what will happen. If I don't run a marathon by that weekend I'll call it a day.

I did read that alright!!! Last weekend shows you’re in great nick heading into it D.

Advertisement