Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Well, seems like we’re at the stage where people are more likely to take generous readings of the guidelines to keep their clubs open. Seen talk of having multiple separated groups of 6 going at one time. I don’t think it’s what was intended but sure look, it’s a sport where people sweat in each other’s mouths sometimes ... we were doomed from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Sport Ireland have updated the guidelines to read:

"Organised sports training within indoor facilities can do so in multiple pods of 6 once sufficient space is available and strict public health protocols are in place"

Anyone know of a good place for a female BJJ blue belt to cross train judo in Dublin? Asking for a friend.

I thought of Wild Geese, but is there anywhere else - ideally somewhere with a few other women training.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Anyone know of a good place for a female BJJ blue belt to cross train judo in Dublin? Asking for a friend.

I thought of Wild Geese, but is there anywhere else - ideally somewhere with a few other women training.

Not sure if its a bit far but I've heard some very good things about Swords Judo club. Not sure if they are currently doing classes or not at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Does she want to do BJJ at a club that also has some judo.
    Or she currently has a BJJ club, and whats to do some extra training at a judo club?

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Does she want to do BJJ at a club that also has some judo.
    Or she currently has a BJJ club, and whats to do some extra training at a judo club?

The latter... Extra training at a pure judo club.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭average hero

Try Portmarnock Judo Club. Very welcoming club with 3/4 female black belts training there fairly regularly.

The latter... Extra training at a pure judo club.

Ah ok, can't help. But hopefully the clarity will be useful for others. Haven't see Makikomi about recently. But I've a feeling he has mentioned Portmarnock in the past.

If the goal is better judo for competition. I could her to schedule a private with Ffion Davis. Who should have a pretty good insight into using (or not using) judo effectively in female weight divisions verses the current BJJ meta.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Timhlk

A lot of Judo clubs still haven't reopened with Covid, I would recommend Paul Cummins School of Judo or Portmarnock. I know Portmarnock is definitely training at the moment but I don't think Paul's is back yet.

Swords Judo Club is mainly for younger children as they don't teach Adult classes.

If she wants to just learn Judo and develop skills quickly at, Coolmine Judo Club has a very strong but private coach. The classes are smaller and it's mainly with larger guys, but definitely a good place to visit.

So, last day of training in Dublin today, if level 3 comes in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

So, last day of training in Dublin today, if level 3 comes in?

Yeah, then its 3 weeks of commuting to gyms in naas/wicklow :(

Doff wrote: »
    Yeah, then its 3 weeks of commuting to gyms in naas/wicklow :(

Really? I'd be surprised if non Dublin gyms would accept Dublin folk on the mats considering the guidelines.

I thought almost everywhere was limiting who's on the mat to existing members.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Anyone doing any at home training? Guess theres not really much you can do except solo drills? Havent been able to train now since march and really missing it. Was even considering getting a grappling dummy but seems like most people say theyre a waste of money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I have zero space in this shoe box apartment to do pretty much anything.
    Started doing some yoga so I don't seize up completely as I just about have space for that in the hall.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I have zero space in this shoe box apartment to do pretty much anything.
    Started doing some yoga so I don't seize up completely as I just about have space for that in the hall.

I hear you. Even if i did get a dummy id be grappling with it in the kitchen while the wife steps around me trying to make dinner :D

Coach asked me to step in for the Gi classes while he was away/in-quarantine.
    Tonight was the first night. Sort planned out a bit of the class, sort of just winged it a bit. Focused whole class on triangles.
    Went well, I think. Really makes you think about all the little movements you do automatically when you explaining it step by step.

Coach asked me to step in for the Gi classes while he was away/in-quarantine.
    Tonight was the first night. Sort planned out a bit of the class, sort of just winged it a bit. Focused whole class on triangles.
    Went well, I think. Really makes you think about all the little movements you do automatically when you explaining it step by step.

Thats awesome, well done :D Youre a blue belt right?

I posted this over in the MMA forum but i guess its a bit more suited to here. Been messing about with making martial arts content on YT lately and did a video about Team 10th planet vs team reebok in Quintet. Hope you guys enjoy it, its rough around the edges and already im like "man i can see about 100 things in this video i wish id done better" as im still just getting used to this shiz, but thought id share seeing as how this threads super quiet lately thanks to feckin covid.

Thats awesome, well done :D Youre a blue belt right?
    Yeah. Been blue for a while. My coach wants me to get some coaching experience as part of the grading. So was good timing.
    I posted this over in the MMA forum but i guess its a bit more suited to here. Been messing about with making martial arts content on YT lately and did a video about Team 10th planet vs team reebok in Quintet. Hope you guys enjoy it, its rough around the edges and already im like "man i can see about 100 things in this video i wish id done better" as im still just getting used to this shiz, but thought id share seeing as how this threads super quiet lately thanks to feckin covid.

Seen this over there and meant to go back and check it out. Will give it a watch now.

Yeah. Been blue for a while. My coach wants me to get some coaching experience as part of the grading. So was good timing.

Well done man, best i can get is occasionally showing my wife how to do a RNC or what a kimura grip is or something :D

Anyone doing any at home training? Guess theres not really much you can do except solo drills? Havent been able to train now since march and really missing it. Was even considering getting a grappling dummy but seems like most people say theyre a waste of money

I got a dummy when the first lockdown came around. Luckily my gym reopened when the restrictions were lifted so I was able to get some training in before this new lockdown.

I decided that I was gonna use the dummy for drilling armbars, triangles etc but I gotta say, I stopped using it after a week or so. It's just not the same!

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I got a dummy when the first lockdown came around. Luckily my gym reopened when the restrictions were lifted so I was able to get some training in before this new lockdown.

I decided that I was gonna use the dummy for drilling armbars, triangles etc but I gotta say, I stopped using it after a week or so. It's just not the same!

Yeah every video i watched about dummies on youtube said the same thing, great for a week or two, then gathers dust! I do at-home workouts all week tho so ill just try and incorporate some BJJ specific movements or drills into them i guess :(

Yeah every video i watched about dummies on youtube said the same thing, great for a week or two, then gathers dust! I do at-home workouts all week tho so ill just try and incorporate some BJJ specific movements or drills into them i guess :(

During the last lockdown I concentrated on stretching but mostly cardio. I hate running, but I took it up and was doing a 5k every day or at least every second day. On days when my knees were a bit fecked, I jumped on the bike.

Now, of course as soon as I was back rolling I was still wrecked as that's a very specific type of cardio, but it definitely helped and I noticed I was in a slightly better shape than those who hadn't been doing any cardio and I was able to get back into rolling-condition quicker than the other too.

Hoping these restrictions are only for the announced 3 weeks and we'll be back in the gym soon but somehow I doubt it!

Cool video. Was a huge win for Geo. The event as a whole was pretty exciting.
    You should do some more. As a suggestion, what about Lachlan Giles run at Kinetic? A quintet event where he swept the other team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭RoboRat

To work with a dummy effectively, you need low expectations, a lot of duct tape and patience.

I got one when the initial lockdown happened, it was a free sample so I didn't really care if it worked. I tried to triangle, arm bar etc, and it was ****e.

I came to the realisation that they are decent for reps and generating muscle memory so I started using it for drilling open guard passes, going to knee on belly, window wipers, back takes but it was too floppy. I packed it with sand and clothes initially but it was too heavy and flopping down, so I took the sand out and repacked it tightly with old clothes and then duct taped the limbs into the position I was drilling and that was significantly better.

They will never replace a live training partner, but when used with the right movements, they can be somewhat effective for repping.

RoboRat wrote: »
    I came to the realisation that they are decent for reps and generating muscle memory...
    I don’t have a dummy, but I agree with this 100%.
    They don’t have the form or posture of a human so aren’t useful for drill moves that require connection.
    But on the other side, the posture-less dummy is useful for moves that require disconnection.

Stepping around the legs, back stepping, drop spinning etc.

Cool video. Was a huge win for Geo. The event as a whole was pretty exciting.
    You should do some more. As a suggestion, what about Lachlan Giles run at Kinetic? A quintet event where he swept the other team.

Thanks man, appreciate it! I actually havent seen that quintet! But its a good idea, ill check it out.
    I just spent 2 weeks on an almost half hour long video about MMA fighter Felony Charles Bennett, i think i need a break first :D

Promoted to purple tonight at the start of class.
    Hours and hours invested. Lots of competitions, a few injuries, some months in lockdown. But I beat blue belt blues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Congrats dude, lower belts will be looking to you now like you know what you're doing :pac:

Hours and hours invested. Lots of competitions, a few injuries, some months in lockdown. But I beat blue belt blues.

Congrats man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Congrats!

Advertisement