Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things the PC brigade don't want to hear or admit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,330 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

How about ending the codology of travelling, educating your children fully, getting proper jobs?
    Give up feuding, you got a problem, sort it out in a civilized fashion or call the guards like the rest of us.
    I'll add in stopping animal abuse and allowing women to make their own decisions.

Just for you bubbly xoxox

• Registered Users Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Oh this thread is totally gonna get locked!

But, before it does, I'd like to take a line from this article (which was posted above):

"...in which the tradition of leading a nomadic life plays an important part, and which distinguishes them from the sedentary or settled community."

So why are they getting houses? If they're nomadic, and it's an important part, why are they settling? Should they give up their ethnic status if they don't travel anymore?

Anyway, to the topic at hand, let's hear more stuff the PC Brigade don't want to hear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    People who aren't travellers. Non-traveller people. Why, did I use the wrong terminology? Did I "trigger" you? What a snowflake!

There’s no such thing as “settled” people. Travellers are the ones who choose to live on the side of the road, nobody is putting a gun to their heads to do so. The rest of us live like 99.999% of the rest of the civilised world. Travellers could abide by the law, earn a living and pay taxes like the rest of us but choose not to.

No, because you already know what I'll say.

How could I know what you think travellers need to do to integrate?

Edit, I see you waited for someone else to answer for you, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This appears to have been a thinly veiled traveller bashing thread. Maybe should change the thread title to "traveller bashing"

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    How could I know what you think travellers need to do to integrate?

Edit, I see you waited for someone else to answer for you, well done

Post 62 is dedicated to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

It's convenient for settled people to blame Travellers entirely for the tension between both communities but we need to wake up to the fact that settled people are discriminatory and predujiced towards Travellers from a very early age. How many of us have heard stories about Traveller children being bullied in primary school for being Travellers, for example? It takes two to tango.

Are travellers being scammed out of their money by "settled people"?

Are travellers homes/caravans/sheds/halting sites being broken into by "settled people"?

Are travellers being intimidated by elderly "settled people"?

Are travellers lives being endangered by reckless driving and sulky racing by "settled people"?

Are travellers sick of having their businessess being shoplifted by "settled people"?

Are travellers tired of "settled people" dumping their rubbish next to their caravans or halting sites?

Lets be honest, if travellers were not doing the above, there would be no tension. Travellers are a direct result of their abysmal culture.

If they want to integrate, adults should get a job, pay taxes, let their kids reach at least a Leaving Cert standard of education, let them make their own religious, relationship and life choices.

Travellers dont seem to want to integrate...they lose too much feeedom.

Post 62 is dedicated to you.

I'm on a mobile. Presume you mean the post someone else made!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

People who aren't travellers. Non-traveller people. Why, did I use the wrong terminology? Did I "trigger" you? What a snowflake!

Im not triggered nor a snowflake.

But you dont see me calling them "pikeys". Im not a "settled person" because I was never roaming, like most others.

I'm on a mobile. Presume you mean the post someone else made!

No, my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

This appears to have been a thinly veiled traveller bashing thread. Maybe should change the thread title to "traveller bashing"

It's not veiled at all, thinly or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Token diversity only builds resentment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

One thing about the open and unashamed level of traveller discrimination in this country is that it keeps the moronic racists occupied enough that they don’t bother with other ethnic groups too much. If they didn’t have the traveller bogey-man to pile their irrational hate on, they’d have to invent another and target someone else.

There’s literally no anti traveller argument in this thread that isn’t used by US racists against blacks, British racists against Asians or Australian racists against the indigenous people there. And the funny (not funny) thing is that people who spout this bile against travellers genuinely think they’re not racist, even as they use the exact same tactics, arguments and language as racists around the world.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    "Degenerate" - don't be hysterical.

There are huge problems within the very intertwined traveller culture - particularly violence and criminality, which cause an understandable fear. Refusal to acknowledge this is just pigheadedness.

Racism is hatred and discrimination against someone because of their skin colour.
    Yes, degenerate. There are people in this thread I would cross the road to avoid, their obnoxious attitudes to their fellow man are devoid of sympathy and humanity. I have very rarely come across anyone I'd honestly say is a bad person, but there are a few here.

Secondly, you're confusing two issues. There is a problem with criminality in the traveller community, as well as illiteracy, domestic abuse and mental health difficulties.

However, it's quite a leap to acknowledge the overall data, and then go and project it onto every traveller you meet, and defend discrimination against every one of them in that basis. That's the idiocy. It is the very definition of a bigot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

There are issues with immigration

• Registered Users Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It's not veiled at all, thinly or otherwise.

Ah well now that's not fair. The thread title is 'Things the PC brigade don't want to hear or admit', not the OPs fault it descended into traveller bashing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Why is it so difficult for some (no doubt middle-class, leafy suburb dwelling) folk to acknowledge that it's possible for someone to both acknowledge the very serious and numerous problems widespread in traveller society, which spill outside of traveller society, and which it's perfectly rational to have a fear of... and acknowledge that not every single traveller is a bad 'un.

Easier just to say "racist moronic idiots" and so on rather than construct an actual argument considering all points of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

phutyle wrote: »
    One thing about the open and unashamed level of traveller discrimination in this country is that it keeps the moronic racists occupied enough that they don’t bother with other ethnic groups too much. If they didn’t have the traveller bogey-man to pile their irrational hate on, they’d have to invent another and target someone else.

There’s literally no anti traveller argument in this thread that isn’t used by US racists against blacks, British racists against Asians or Australian racists against the indigenous people.

There’s no comparison between those groups and Irish travellers. Utterly insane.

The Australians wiped out the indigenous population. The Americans enslaved blacks for centuries. Britain invaded India and committed acts of genocide.

Travellers are Irish people who travel. Transferring millions of euros in welfare payments isn’t discrimination.

The whole thing is bogus upper class bollocks anyway. Traveller halting sites can go anywhere but are inevitably pushed into the poorest parts of Dublin and Ireland. I’d take the anti racist bollocks of the liberal bourgeois somewhat seriously if their actions weren’t so racist by their own definition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

There's a lot of people here refusing to acknowledge even a little bit that Travellers are discriminated against in this country, whereas I'm perfectly happy to say that the Traveller community is riddled with issues of their own making.

The fact of the matter is that even individual Travellers or their families with completely flawless reputations, without a single blot on their record, would find it infinitely more difficult to find jobs or rent an apartment than someone who is not a Traveller, a settled person. That's discrimination, lads. Like it or lump it.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    There are issues with immigration

Would you mind pointing out the issues here in this country right now with immigration?

If only to move the thread away from traveller bashing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Im not triggered nor a snowflake.

But you dont see me calling them "pikeys". Im not a "settled person" because I was never roaming, like most others.
    You are triggered, you snowflake. Sorry for impinging on your safe space.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There’s no comparison between those groups and Irish travellers. Utterly insane.

Your whole post is cognitive dissonance, attempting to hide the unsavoury fact from yourself and your peers that you’re a racist. You don’t like it, so you claim it’s different, that they’re not a race, that no, others are the real racists. All blunder to cover the fact that you’re actually ashamed of your position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Would you mind pointing out the issues here in this country right now with immigration?

If only to move the thread away from traveller bashing!

The African gangs in Balbriggan and Blanchardstown

There are no 'African gangs '
    There are, no doubt, gangs of young lads hanging around getting into trouble, same as there has been in Ireland for generations.

phutyle wrote: »
    Your whole post is cognitive dissonance, attempting to hide the unsavoury fact from yourself and your peers that you’re a racist. You don’t like it, so you claim it’s different, that they’re not a race, that no, others are the real racists. All blunder to cover the fact that you’re actually ashamed of your position.

So you are saying that the treatment of Irish travellers is exactly the same as the enslavement of blacks in the US, the genocide of aboriginals in Australia and the starvation of Indians in India?

I kinda threw up there.

That’s sounds not just historically inept but an excuse for colonialism and imperialism. Sickening racism to be honest, not only comparing whatever minor discrimination the travellers have experienced to genocide but ignoring the white privilege of travellers. It might well be that because they are white skinned you see whatever minor forms of discrimination the travellers have experienced as equivalent to genocide and enslavement and that justifies your hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What about the gang in Dundrum yesterday? Thoughts?

I agree that’s there’s discrimination against travelers by the way. It’s not the “employers won’t hire them”. Pavee point themselves say they don’t want to integrate in that way into settled society.

It’s the way that the racist bourgeoise of the richer parts of Dublin exclude them from their localities and schools. We need a new policy on that equivalent to the bussing policy in the US during the civil war era. These people will protest of course, but it must be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

So you are saying that the treatment of Irish travellers is exactly the same as the enslavement of blacks in the US, the genocide of aboriginals in Australia and the starvation of Indians in India?

I kinda threw up there.

That’s sounds not just historically inept but an excuse for colonialism and imperialism. Sickening racism to be honest, not only comparing whatever minor discrimination the travellers have experienced to genocide but ignoring the white privilege of travellers. It might well be that because they are white skinned you see whatever minor forms of discrimination the travellers have experienced as equivalent to genocide and enslavement and that justifies your hyperbole.
    Aye. When people do the "you actually think this and you're covering up your shame by doing that" mind-reading (which isn't possible) thing, they are no longer able to construct an argument, just be subtly insulting and trollish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

What about the gang in Dundrum yesterday? Thoughts?

I think the opening post covers that incident

• Advertisement

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Aye. When people do the "you actually think this and you're covering up your shame by doing that" thing, they are no longer able to construct an argument, just be subtly insulting and trollish.

You would think that saying the treatment of Irish travellers can’t be compared to slavery or genocide would be uncontroversial.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement