Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser eye surgery with optilase

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

pabloaimar wrote: »
    Hi, was just in here doing some research on optilase for my sister and I'm reading about this referral code. Would appreciate if anyone could send me one please?

Can you use the same code more for more than one person?

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Pm sent

You must be close to being able to open your own clinic at this stage with all your referrals!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Damien360

As there appears to be many active users in here, can I ask what’s the worst prescription that can be corrected or is that an unknown.

I have -6.5/-5 and my eyeball is shaped (as optician told me) like a rugby ball. Contacts are uncomfortable after 3 hours and impossible in low light conditions as they try to pop out. I only use them for training.

Damien360 wrote: »
    As there appears to be many active users in here, can I ask what’s the worst prescription that can be corrected or is that an unknown.

I have -6.5/-5 and my eyeball is shaped (as optician told me) like a rugby ball. Contacts are uncomfortable after 3 hours and impossible in low light conditions as they try to pop out. I only use them for training.

I think they can go up to -10 in Optilase anyway. Not sure how the shape would affect things. The consultation is free so you might as well go for one and ask!

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    You must be close to being able to open your own clinic at this stage with all your referrals!

If everybody who I’ve given one to here or in work etc through the years went through with surgery I’d have made a good bit back, in reality only a handful have ever got to that stage.

For me the shape of my eyes meant I had to go LASEK rather than LASIK,I can’t remember what strength they were at the time though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Id recommend 2 or 3 different consultations before arriving at a conclusion. Your prescription is not as extreme as some who have had laser done.

My eyes were -3 both eyes and had Lasik done with Optilase 5 years ago. My eyes are now 20/20! One of the best investments I ever made. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Is there a certain age you have to be or is it possible to be too young for this? I'm in my early 20s and have - 3.25, thing I'm wondering is if I was to go ahead with surgery how would it be long term say in 20 years time?

Is there a certain age you have to be or is it possible to be too young for this? I'm in my early 20s and have - 3.25, thing I'm wondering is if I was to go ahead with surgery how would it be long term say in 20 years time?

As far as I know your good to go re age. They do say that most of us will need glasses for reading etc when we get older. But in 20 years time that will still not be an issue for you most likely.

I have a friend who had laser done abroad in his 20s. He is in his 40s now and no issues. I got Lasik done at 40. Im now 45. My eyes were -3 and now 20/20. There was a girl in her early 20's (I presume) waiting for surgery on the day I had it done.

Gingko wrote:
    As far as I know your good to go re age. They do say that most of us will need glasses for reading etc when we get older. But in 20 years time that will still not be an issue for you most likely.

Thanks for the reassurance! I'll be looking into it in the next year or two for sure, starting to get irritated with glasses and contacts...

They advised me to wait til I was 25 to get the surgery in case my eyes were still changing. You need to have the same prescription for a certain period of time. You could still need reading glasses when you're in your 50s along with the rest of the population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭beachhead

Gingko wrote: »

I have a friend who had laser done abroad in his 20s. He is in his 40s now and no issues. I got Lasik done at 40. Im now 45. My eyes were -3 and now 20/20. There was a girl in her early 20's (I presume) waiting for surgery on the day I had it done.

No eye surgery lasts a lifetime.The eyes naturally deteriorate with age.Surgery does not stop that process.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lemmno

I believe I was too young when I did mine. I was 22 and I needed glasses again by 27. I know others in the same boat. Personally I’d recommend not to do it until late 20s/early 30s.

lemmno wrote:
    I believe I was too young when I did mine. I was 22 and I needed glasses again by 27. I know others in the same boat. Personally I’d recommend not to do it until late 20s/early 30s.

Have your eyes gone back as back as they were before you got surgery done?
    That's actually interesting how they became poorer after just 5 years. That must be really frustrating for you, suppose it would be stupid to consider it again or is that even possible for you

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lemmno

Have your eyes gone back as back as they were before you got surgery done?
    That's actually interesting how they became poorer after just 5 years. That must be really frustrating for you, suppose it would be stupid to consider it again or is that even possible for you

They were on their way alright. I got the surgery done again as a free top up. Wouldn’t recommend this. Vision is great again but having the second surgery really pushed my eyes over the edge in terms of discomfort and dryness which I still live with daily years later. If you’re going to get it done, get it done once, in your late 20s/30s. If it fades, and it likely will, do not get a top up!

lemmno wrote:
    They were on their way alright. I got the surgery done again as a free top up. Wouldn’t recommend this. Vision is great again but having the second surgery really pushed my eyes over the edge in terms of discomfort and dryness which I still live with daily years later. If you’re going to get it done, get it done once, in your late 20s/30s. If it fades, and it likely will, do not get a top up!

That's really good to know, sorry to hear about that, that must really be frustrating having to live with that daily...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CrummyOldDanish

Quick Question: At my consultation I was recommended PRK and was quoted €3790 incl. insurance discount. Did anyone else get quoted similar? What did you end up paying? I'm not too happy with the price to be honest. I've seen other people have haggled and brought the price down a lot. I'd appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

That is what i paid in March. Minus 100 euro less for someone recommending you.

bcross12 wrote: »
    Quick Question: At my consultation I was recommended PRK and was quoted €3790 incl. insurance discount. Did anyone else get quoted similar? What did you end up paying? I'm not too happy with the price to be honest. I've seen other people have haggled and brought the price down a lot. I'd appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!

Sometimes Optilase have €500 discounts during Summer months. Maybe ask them about this if they still do it and if it applies to PRK? And I have a reference if anyone needs one.. pm!

Hi all,

I'm planning to have a consultation with Optilase soon and I'd appreciate a referral code please.

And also, how did you proceed before the eye surgery? Like, have you been advised by your GP and referred you to Optilase clinic, or you went straight to Optilase for an eye test, then you had surgery. I'm asking about this for tax back purpose.

Thanking you.

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dee15

bcross12 wrote: »

I paid €3690 with referral discount last week. Has lasik done with optilase on 2/12/20 and can't recommend enough so far. I was v nervous going in and they really helped to calm me down.

If anyone needs a referral just let me know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭dahamster

Dee15 wrote: »
    I paid €3690 with referral discount last week. Has lasik done with optilase on 2/12/20 and can't recommend enough so far. I was v nervous going in and they really helped to calm me down.

If anyone needs a referral just let me know!

Can I get a referral please?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭alicenyhan

dahamster wrote: »

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dee15

dahamster wrote: »

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Brianwex20

Hi could I get a referral?

Brianwex20 wrote: »
    Hi could I get a referral?

Pm sent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭soso02

Dee15 wrote: »
    I paid €3690 with referral discount last week.

I was quoted around 3,800 including insurance discount which was supposedly based on my prescription alone, -2.5 in both eyes.
    Would this be about right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 peachypyro

soso02 wrote: »
    I was quoted around 3,800 including insurance discount which was supposedly based on my prescription alone, -2.5 in both eyes.
    Would this be about right ?

Similar to me. That's about what I paid. You will get 20% of that back though so it makes it a bit more affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Anyone looking for a referral, please PM me.

Anyone looking for a referral, please PM me.

Pm sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

alicenyhan wrote: »
    Pm sent

Thank you, post OP here so looking to refer anyone who is thinking of surgery/laser.

Advertisement