Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PHP Laravel IDE

Options
  • 11-09-2019 10:53pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can't remember if I've asked before, but can anyone suggest a good IDE for PHP and Laravel? Don't want to edit files via notepad++ and run them from the command line just yet. I want to get a more visual handle with PHP and Laravel first before I'm confident enough to run from the cli.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

I haven't used it for any laravel projects yet but I've been using PHPStorm at work for the past few months and I'm really liking it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Isn't PHPStorm a monthly subscription IDE?

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Isn't PHPStorm a monthly subscription IDE?

I think it's an annual subscription? Work pays for it so I'm not sure. I used to use eclipse but I don't see myself going back after changing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I had a look and it's 199 euro per year.

I had a look and it's 199 euro per year.

Ouch, didn't realise it was that expensive. My other recommendation would be eclipse. It's pretty good and has a lot of extensions

• Advertisement

I'm using eclipse for pretty much everything else it can be used for, so I'm trying it with PHP. I'm also getting Netbeans to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

I use PHPStorm and love it, it definitely makes life easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

VSCode is pretty great out of the box and plenty of PHP and Laravel plugins.

Only got around to it this evening, but I get Laravel running with Netbeans. I'll stick with that for a while to see how things go. Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

Goodshape wrote: »
    VSCode is pretty great out of the box and plenty of PHP and Laravel plugins.

+ 1 for VSCode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Netbeans sucks tbh. VS Code is free and is probably one of the best free ide's available - you can extend it to do pretty much whatever you want. Its not often I give microsoft credit, but where its due.....

Going to give VSCode a try. Not intent on paying for phpstorm, as good as it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Going to give VSCode a try. Not intent on paying for phpstorm, as good as it might be.

My work pays for my PHPStorm licence and I still switched to VSCode.

Less bloated, even after you add any plugins you need, and just much nicer (imo) to work with.

Seems to be the case from what I've seen so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I was a Laravel dev in my previous job and we initially used atom, then moved to vs code with plugins. VS Code is the best, it's lightweight, yet extremely performant.

Advertisement