Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser eye surgery with optilase

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Is there any difference between the mater vs optilase? I know one or two people in medical field and it seems that they prefer mater. Anyone shed any light?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

dubstepper wrote: »
    Is there any difference between the mater vs optilase? I know one or two people in medical field and it seems that they prefer mater. Anyone shed any light?

The Mater is obviously an actual hospital and some people have a preference for having such a procedure done where in the event of an emergency you wouldn't have to leave the building

• Registered Users Posts: 37 peachypyro

dubstepper wrote: »

I checked out the Mater too. Ultimately I found Optilase to be more professional and give more time. I guess it's done to personal preference but I found the staff in the Mater if be much colder whereas Optilase were more reassuring and took more time to talk everything through with me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭startrek56

is it painful?? would love to get it done but terrified at the thought of it

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭willthiswork

startrek56 wrote: »
    is it painful?? would love to get it done but terrified at the thought of it

Not really. I had lasik about a month ago now and while there was some discomfort at the start, it lasts about a minute and then it's fine. I had a tiny bit of pain for a few hours afterwards but the eye drops and painkillers sorted it out. By that evening I felt absolutely fine!

• Advertisement

Not really. I had lasik about a month ago now and while there was some discomfort at the start, it lasts about a minute and then it's fine. I had a tiny bit of pain for a few hours afterwards but the eye drops and painkillers sorted it out. By that evening I felt absolutely fine!

also, what if you blink during the procedure or are your eyes clamped open?

They're clamped for the bit where they make the cut but that's it.

They hold your eyelids open and give you a point to focus on while they are doing the actual laser part, works better that way and gives you something to focus on. I found that helped with the bit of nerves I had anyway!

The whole thing only takes about a minute or two with the actual laser. I was in the surgery suite for maybe a half a hour including applying the numbing drops and waiting for them.

If you have any other questions, feel free to DM me if you'd like to chat :)

They're clamped for the bit where they make the cut but that's it.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I'm probably not using the right terminology! lol!! It was totally fine :)

• Advertisement

I'm probably not using the right terminology! lol!! It was totally fine :)

Seconded! It sounds worse than it actually is!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

peachypyro wrote: »
    They hold your eyelids open and give you a point to focus on while they are doing the actual laser part, works better that way and gives you something to focus on. I found that helped with the bit of nerves I had anyway!

The whole thing only takes about a minute or two with the actual laser. I was in the surgery suite for maybe a half a hour including applying the numbing drops and waiting for them.

If you have any other questions, feel free to DM me if you'd like to chat :)

I remember this part of it. I was lying there and the point disappeared from my view and I said to myself for the love of god don't f**king move your eye. All worked out grand and it's 7 years later. Plus they give you vallum to keep you calm.

I was told by my optician to at least get the consultation done in the Matter Private as they have/had the top eye laser surgery guy at the time and if I wanted to then get the procedure done in one of the chain places if all was ok.

I have a squint in one eye so I had to get some additional tests done to make sure the laser wouldn't give me any side effects.

Ended up getting all done in the Matter Private, thought to myself if someone's going to stick a laser in my eye I want the top guy doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Great to hear success stories on this, may I ask how bad your eyes were and how long have ye been tolerating glasses?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

Great to hear success stories on this, may I ask how bad your eyes were and how long have ye been tolerating glasses?

I'd been wearing glasses for 12ish years and then contact lenses (the hard lenses) for another 12.
    My eyes were grand after a day or two. I think I wore sunglasses just to help the recovery. Really is crazy how quick you're back to normal. They'll probably give you drops to put in your eyes for a week or two and you'll have a few follow up visits to make sure all is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Soccerdodger

Hi All,

I got Lasik treatment back in 2012 and was very happy with the results for a number of years.

However in the past year, my eyesight has deteriorated and when I went to Optilase for a check up they said that they would not treat my eyes again as my eyesight was not bad enough. I disagreed as I said that the reason that I got the treatment in the first place was to be able to stop wearing glasses. I’m now back wearing glasses and when I asked about the so-called lifetime guarantee and outlined that I was going to take this further, a manager called me and started referencing terms and conditions.

Very disappointing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Hi All,

I got Lasik treatment back in 2012 and was very happy with the results for a number of years.

However in the past year, my eyesight has deteriorated and when I went to Optilase for a check up they said that they would not treat my eyes again as my eyesight was not bad enough. I disagreed as I said that the reason that I got the treatment in the first place was to be able to stop wearing glasses. I’m now back wearing glasses and when I asked about the so-called lifetime guarantee and outlined that I was going to take this further, a manager called me and started referencing terms and conditions.

Very disappointing!

My understanding was that if your eye(s) returned to how bad they were pre surgery then they would cover a second go, that is how I took it up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Has anyone here had the monovision option rather than correcting both eyes. As I am over 40 my reading is starting to deteriorate. The consultant said that an option to correct both long and short nearsightedness would be monovision. I did the trial of it with contacts and found it ok but still unsure.

Anyone share their experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 eoing90

I had a consultation last week at Optilase Dublin. Does anyone have a referral please? Thinking about getting it done in July sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭d1980

eoing90 wrote: »
    I had a consultation last week at Optilase Dublin. Does anyone have a referral please? Thinking about getting it done in July sometime.

I can give you my details.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭alicenyhan

Pm sent :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Smangan25

I can’t recommend optilase enough, the team at the cork clinic were so reassuring and professional. After the surgery the after care was second to none. It’s been a life changing experience dealing with optilase and if I could give 6 stars I would. If anyone wants a referral give me dm or email me on smangan25@gmail.com and you will get €100 off your procedure☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

I have a consultation with optilase next week, can someone please tell me what to expect? Is it just an exam to see if I'm suitable? Also i know it says it's free but if I'm not suitable for it do i get charged for the consultation? If i am suitable would i have to wait long for surgery? Sorry for all the questions, just a bit nervous about it and would like to know what the procedure is.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

mixed up wrote: »
    I have a consultation with optilase next week, can someone please tell me what to expect? Is it just an exam to see if I'm suitable? Also i know it says it's free but if I'm not suitable for it do i get charged for the consultation? If i am suitable would i have to wait long for surgery? Sorry for all the questions, just a bit nervous about it and would like to know what the procedure is.

Its just like an eye test - just a bit longer. Its basically just to see if you're suitable for surgery. No you won't get charged for the consultation whether you're suitable or not. I'm not sure about the waiting list - it depends on your clinic and I'm not sure what effect COVID has had. A friend of mine went for their consultation at the end of April and was given a date in June. The consultation is honestly nothing to worry about at all.
    Send me a PM if you'd like a referral - for 100€ off your surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lavieenrose

If anyone needs a referral for €100 off, PM me and I'll do it asap ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 2 polly500

Just a quick update from me...I had my laser eye surgery done in the Mater Private Eye Clinic with Marc Guerin last September. He is absolutely lovely, the price was the same as Optilase and the aftercare is all included plus you have 24/7 access if you have any issues. I highly recommend him and the whole process was excellent. I'm so glad I had it done and wish I had done it sooner. I'm 53 and shortsighted with astigmatism but was starting to have to take my glasses off to read which was awkward in work. I now have 20 20 vision and can read without glasses unless its really small print like medication boxes. I just got cheap reading glasses in Penney's for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Smangan25

It’s a big financial decision for anybody and every little helps on the purse strings. I can’t recommend optilase enough, the team at the cork clinic where I got it done were so reassuring and professional. After the surgery the after care was second to none. It’s been a life changing experience dealing with optilase and if I could give 6 stars I would. If anyone wants a referral give me dm or email me on smangan25@gmail.com and you will get €100 off your procedure☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Hello all. I'm considering getting this done. I'm just starting to look into it. What ballpark figure are the prices now?
    Also what's the recovery time in terms of time off work needed?
    Thank you for your help.
    PS: I see on the Optilase site that they offer an interest-free finance plan. Has anyone availed of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Hello all. I'm considering getting this done. I'm just starting to look into it. What ballpark figure are the prices now?
    Thank you for your help.
    PS: I see on the Optilase site that they offer an interest-free finance plan. Has anyone availed of this?

I paid 3 thousand for mine but that was over 5 years ago, it's possibly closer to 4 thousand now. I paid upfront so not sure how the finance plan works.

I got the LASEK/PRK so took a week off work afterwards. The LASIK procedure might only require a weekend if memory serves me correct.

I'd recommended booking an assessment anyway, it's free and there's no obligation to go ahead with the surgery if you're not happy to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lavieenrose

Thank you for your help.

I had LASIK done and it was €3800, but you can get €100 off with a referral. With LASIK you are recovered by the next morning, I think with the other types it's closer to a week. The finance plan isn't actually run by Optilase, it's a loan from a separate company which I would be wary of. If you have any questions DM me and I'll answer as best I can! ☺️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Gerard93

Just a question for those who had it done say few years is your sight still as good now or does sight deteriorate with age or is this different for each individual

Advertisement