Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bus ordered to pay passenger €7,500 over alleged homophobic slurs...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The best thing about this story is the very people who are so fond of the snowflake moniker have magnificently shown themselves to be the touchy ****es.

jams100 wrote: »
    Do judges just pick arbitrary numbers out of their head?

Judges, not completely.

Theres a thing called 'the book of quantum' for personal injury cases. Judges tend to use that as a ballpark and then increase or reduce based on the cases merits.

I dunno where the WRC get the numbers, I would assume they have something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,795 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The WRC doesnt have judges

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Who is this geezer with 75,000 followers?

Can someone post a link?

Al Porter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

LillySV wrote: »
    Friend working with bus eireann told me before that they pay out for everything , they never fight accusations or claims, something that sickens him as he has seen many made up accidents and cases where the other driver was wrong , they had evidence to prove so, yet still paid out! I think the prob is that in many cases it cheaper to pay out than pay for legal fight

Possibly so but I was told the opposite.

The CIE group don't have private insurance and any successful claims come from their reserves. So they would fight hard to keep their own money

• Advertisement

The WRC doesnt have judges

nobody said they did

nobody said they did

A lot of the posts above referenced a Judge making this decision

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Judges don't throw money at people for no reason.

I know we like to think they do ..they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

GreeBo wrote: »
    Thats the same in every walk of life though, the buck stops at the top.

The fact that the driver on at least one occasion didnt stop because this person was at the stop is pretty indefensible tbh.

I would have done the very same as the driver. Scumbag doesn't pay correct fare, argues with and abuses the driver. Causes a commotion on the bus disturbing other passengers. Keep the foot on the gas. Wave and smile as you go by.
    Judges don't throw money at people for no reason.

I know we like to think they do ..they don't.

No, they just direct the defendant to hand over the money....sometimes on shockingly poor evidence and in complete dismissal of solid evidence by the defense. Easier to allow an appeal than to be seen as unsympathetic and be pasted across social media and the papers the next day.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If your man filmed himself defaming the driver, why doesn't the driver sue him?

• Advertisement

The guy takes the bus (without paying the correct fare) and spends his time fluffing his insta account. Probably not worth suing.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Lots of companies simply pay out as its cheaper than retaining counsel & fighting the claim in court.

Not in the case of Dublin Bus though, at the turn of the century they were losing fortunes in claims. So they hired in house barristers who now fight everything tooth and nail if DB are not in the wrong and theyve had a lot of success. Between that and the amount of CCTV on buses (both inside and out) successful claims dropped massively.
    WrenBoy wrote: »
    Problem is some people go to Dublin for a day or a weekend and wouldn't have the cards (leap cards Im assuming) People leave the car at the hotel and get the bus in and out. Not many places have bus services outside the cities and major towns.

I go to London once a year, I still have an Oyster card though. Dublin Bus really needs to go cashless to speed up loading. Just have a flat cash fare of 10 euro for a year or two and people will soon get the message regardless of how infrequently they use it.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I go to London once a year, I still have an Oyster card though. Dublin Bus really needs to go cashless to speed up loading. Just have a flat cash fare of 10 euro for a year or two and people will soon get the message regardless of how infrequently they use it.

Im the same, have 2 Oyster cards that I use when I am there which isnt that often but you dont even need one anymore, debit cards work

He may well do but his criminal complaint needs to be finished first

He may well do but his criminal complaint needs to be finished first

A single incident may attract both criminal charges and a civil case. One need not precede the other, though it is often seen as advantageous to pursue the criminal case first in the hopes of a conviction being levelled, making a civil case a sure thing, as there is a very low bar in civil cases compared to criminal cases.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

If you are having a dispute with someone who is gay, you make your points as well as you can and explain your position. If you think he is actively paying the wrong fare, you have the ability to ensure that he pays the correct fare before you drive the bus. You do not resort to homophobic slurs. Once you resort to that, all gloves are off and I'm happy to hear that the gay individual was able to stand up for himself and get a result.
    Chap at work the otherday took umbrage with my requesting his rectifying his unrequired masklessness and told me to" fcuk off you f@ggot "
    No I'm not gay and I don't believe he thinks I'm gay but if I was and he didn't know is that a more serious breach of social behaviour?

I don't approve or condone anything I'm just wondering as I did at the time. Does he think I'm gay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Vestiapx wrote: »
    Chap at work the otherday took umbrage with my requesting his rectifying his unrequired masklessness and told me to" fcuk off you f@ggot "
    No I'm not gay and I don't believe he thinks I'm gay but if I was and he didn't know is that a more serious breach of social behaviour?

I don't approve or condone anything I'm just wondering as I did at the time. Does he think I'm gay ?
    The language is homophobic whether or not he thinks you're gay (and whether or not you are gay).

Does he think you're gay? I've no idea. Does it matter to you whether he thinks you're gay?

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The language is homophobic whether or not he thinks you're gay (and whether or not you are gay).

Does he think you're gay? I've no idea. Does it matter to you whether he thinks you're gay?

That's not what I'm wondering, I'm wondering whether there is a difference between using a homophobic slur on a straight person or a gay person, further I wonder if there is a difference between whether the person is then not straight but secretly gay, whether intent matters is if the person using the slur thinks the other is gay or not.

It's different to using a more obvious slur like a racial slur,. Call a black person a slanty eyed fool or a white person an n word a d it's simply wrong but accidentally call a straight person a f@ggot and are you in more trouble than if they weren't straight.

Dose it bother me whether he thinks I'm gay or not ? No but very little bothers me when it comes to silly stuff like that. However I am aware that other people could be very upset.

You can imagine, I think, that a gay person would be bothered by a term like " f@ggot" being used as a general term of abuse, especially when its applied to someone who the speaker has no reason to think is gay. What the speaker is saying there, I think, is that to be gay is in itself repellent, vile, unacceptable, etc, and therefore to call someone gay is to denigrate them. And that attitude, of course, denigrates all gay people, whether or not the person who is called " f@ggot" is among them.

So, yeah, this is homophobic abuse, and anyone adversely affected by it can complain about it, even if it wasn't actually directed at them. If it's foreesable that you will be affected then you have a claim, regardless of the intention of the person using the homophobic term.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

I guess you missed the bit where Dublin Bus denied that the slurs were made?

Dublin Bus would deny they run a bus service in Dublin if they thought it would help their case.

I guess you missed the bit where the driver didn't attend the hearing. As the only person who could refute the accusations, that is a bit of a facepalm on the defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

sue his employer for 7.5k.*

There's precedent now.

* (Not serious.)

You can imagine, I think, that a gay person would be bothered by a term like " f@ggot" being used as a general term of abuse, especially when its applied to someone who the speaker has no reason to think is gay. What the speaker is saying there, I think, is that to be gay is in itself repellent, vile, unacceptable, etc, and therefore to call someone gay is to denigrate them. And that attitude, of course, denigrates all gay people, whether or not the person who is called " f@ggot" is among them.

So, yeah, this is homophobic abuse, and anyone adversely affected by it can complain about it, even if it wasn't actually directed at them. If it's foreesable that you will be affected then you have a claim, regardless of the intention of the person using the homophobic term.

I think the real danger here is that intent is no longer considered. It seems that anyone can claim offense at something not intended as true, or not even directed at them. When we move the line from intent to taken and we move the target from obvious to anywhere, we are really at risk of repercussions for something quite harmless, because the lines are so blurred.

My Brother often called people a "Jew" when someone refused to share with him. Thing is, i'm pretty sure he didn't even know what a Jew was at the time and simply picked up the language...but saying this now could be seen as anti-Semitic or put him at risk of being sued if someone took offense within earshot of him. Should a catholic be allowed to sue RTE for mocking their faith and causing deep offense on NYE? We are already on the slippery slope.

Stay Free

I think the real danger here is that intent is no longer considered. It seems that anyone can claim offense at something not intended as true, or not even directed at them. When we move the line from intent to taken and we move the target from obvious to anywhere, we are really at risk of repercussions for something quite harmless, because the lines are so blurred.

My Brother often called people a "Jew" when someone refused to share with him. Thing is, i'm pretty sure he didn't even know what a Jew was at the time and simply picked up the language...but saying this now could be seen as anti-Semitic or put him at risk of being sued if someone took offense within earshot of him. Should a catholic be allowed to sue RTE for mocking their faith and causing deep offense on NYE? We are already on the slippery slope.

Calling someone a Jew for refusing to share is just as bad as calling someone a f@ggot for being concerned about hygiene and neither are acceptable, if your brother picked up the language then you can see that if less people used these unacceptable terms that they would fall out of parlance.

That's not what I'm wondering, I'm wondering whether there is a difference between using a homophobic slur on a straight person or a gay person

There is no difference. Homophobia is homophobia. In the case mentioned it wouldnt make a difference legally as the discriminatory treatment is in relation to a person who is gay or is imputed to be gay.

Terry Pratchet

There is no difference. Homophobia is homophobia. In the case mentioned it wouldnt make a difference legally as the discriminatory treatment is in relation to a person who is gay or is imputed to be gay.

I agree I was just wondering what other people think. I rember when I was a kid in the 80sid call people gay but I didn't even know that it was a real thing,in my social group once we found out that gay was a thing think age 11 or 12 we would never call someone gay or any of the homophobic slurs if we thought they were gay. Since the 90s I've always tried to be more imaginative in my derogatory comments and I don't think I've used terms like that because I feel that while I might call someone a mother fcuker when I don't thik they are one and it's not a slur on a minority it's not ok to call someone a f@ffot or a clocksucker as it suggests there is something wrong with being one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Yes. Judges do.
    He picked a number out of his head and you are right. Someone else will do the same again upon reading this. Maybe even try the racism angle.

While I do believe this guy is mad. A lot of seemingly nice people will turn scumbags when there's an earner on the cards. Someone could say how they were minding their own business walking down the road when they got viciously berated, then assaulted by a mean, vile man who was out looking for trouble.... Yet this so called aforementioned man was only 3 foot tall :pac:

World is mad. The law is mad :p

Dont be giving Dr Ebaum Joseph any ideas now

Calling someone a Jew for refusing to share is just as bad as calling someone a f@ggot for being concerned about hygiene and neither are acceptable, if your brother picked up the language then you can see that if less people used these unacceptable terms that they would fall out of parlance.

I disagree with the premise entirely. No matter what someone says, there will always be someone who might be offended. You could compliment someone for doing a good job and someone else might get offended on their behalf because it may have sounded like you thought the person doing the job was incompetent. What matters most is intent. If no malice is intended, then most of the time, if my brother calls me a jew for not sharing my twix, it's no problem.

You know there are a growing number of people who are offended if you assume their gender, right? Soon, it will be unacceptable to address someone as Mr. or Miss in formal settings.
    I agree I was just wondering what other people think. I rember when I was a kid in the 80sid call people gay but I didn't even know that it was a real thing,in my social group once we found out that gay was a thing think age 11 or 12 we would never call someone gay or any of the homophobic slurs if we thought they were gay. Since the 90s I've always tried to be more imaginative in my derogatory comments and I don't think I've used terms like that because I feel that while I might call someone a mother fcuker when I don't thik they are one and it's not a slur on a minority it's not ok to call someone a f@ffot or a clocksucker as it suggests there is something wrong with being one of them.

I would hope that these people are very much a minority. But why is it ok to call someone a MF and not ok to call them by another derogatory name if you think they are neither of these terms?

Stay Free

If God had intended us to use homophobic, antisemitic, sexist, etc terms to insult people, he would not have created the term "gobsh1te".

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If God had intended us to use homophobic, antisemitic, sexist, etc terms to insult people, he would not have created the term "gobsh1te".

That is all.

Sentence enhancers I call them. :D

• Advertisement

That is all.

5 stars :D

Stay Free

Advertisement