Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Woman stabbed near IFSC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Hopefully the scumbag is caught and brought to justice. I don't care what race he is. Judging how little interest there has been in the thread it must be one of our white Irish who committed the crime.
    That is truly an appalling comment.
    You should be ashamed of what you just wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Dublin could do with a Mayor with powers similar to those they get in cities in the US, crack down hard on junkies, violent criminals and such.

Chances are we'd end up with one who'd go the complete opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Can anyone else think of a place, not just in Ireland but in Europe, where every store and pharmacy in the area has to have full time security.

Assuming a wage of around €20k, that means the locals must have been robbing and/or shoplifting more than €20k per year from EACH of these businesses in order to justify the wage of the security guard.

Theres a Korean restaurant/pub on mayor st across from the spar that i go to a fair bit over the years, and im shocked that a) its still open and b) has no security at all. Its primarily staffed by young asian students and there were a few times i was there were a crowd of local scobes acting up. Doesnt seem to be a regular thing though, think they most stick to lagoona or go bcak to noctor's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Varik wrote: »
    Chances are we'd end up with one who'd go the complete opposite direction.

You can be guaranteed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Dublin could do with a Mayor with powers similar to those they get in cities in the US, crack down hard on junkies, violent criminals and such. Someone who is psychopathic enough to stab an innocent person in the neck is usually beyond rehabilitation and should be permanently removed from society.

Dublin Mayor is only a ceremonial ribbon cutting role. No one wants to tackle crime in this country !! Round and round we go !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Dublin could do with a Mayor with powers similar to those they get in cities in the US, crack down hard on junkies, violent criminals and such. Someone who is psychopathic enough to stab an innocent person in the neck is usually beyond rehabilitation and should be permanently removed from society.

I think we're better off having a national police force (that is meant to be politically independent of the state) instead of splitting it up into regional forces who'll then answer directly to regional politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't think cracking down hard on junkies (not a nice term) solves anything. Heroin addicts need help, not batons.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Kivaro wrote: »
    That is truly an appalling comment.
    You should be ashamed of what you just wrote.

He's not wrong though is he tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I don't think cracking down hard on junkies (not a nice term) solves anything. Heroin addicts need help, not batons.

They shouldn't be allowed to wander around city centres like zombies harassing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Reading this earlier shook me to the core particularly as I would usually walk in and around that area on my way to work before Covid.

To approach someone in the street and just stab them in the neck is the work of a complete psychopath. I understand from reading the article they fled without taking any money and didn’t even bother trying to rob her phone in the process (she managed to call herself an ambulance). An act of pure evil.

No excuse for the Gardaí not being able to track down this person and send a file to the DPP for attempted murder when these scumbags are littering the streets of Dublin at the moment in open sight. They were of course always there but managed to lerk in the background with the footfall of commuters and shoppers and tourists.

I can’t stop thinking about this lady. Praying she pulls through from her physical injuries. The psychological injury from this however will probably never heal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Also this is becoming a scarily common thing. A lady in Balbriggan last weekend was attacked by a gang on her evening walk around a local GAA pitch. They knifed at her and only for her thick coat taking the force of the knife she didn’t sustain any serious injuries. I also believe (and stand to be corrected) they didn’t demand cash or a phone. Again just pure, pure evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They shouldn't be allowed to wander around city centres like zombies harassing people.

In fairness they're pretty harmless, just not a good look for the city. But what can you do, you can't just ban addicts from going to places.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Dublin needs a dedicated metropolitan police force and a dedicated transport police force like any capitol city to control a small minority of dirtbirds running amok amongst over a million decent, hard working people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

There is currently a severe housing crisis in Dublin. If tax payers were prioritised for social housing in high demand areas the issues discussed on this thread would not significantly exist.

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

smeal wrote: »
    Reading this earlier shook me to the core particularly as I would usually walk in and around that area on my way to work before Covid.

To approach someone in the street and just stab them in the neck is the work of a complete psychopath. I understand from reading the article they fled without taking any money and didn’t even bother trying to rob her phone in the process (she managed to call herself an ambulance). An act of pure evil.

No excuse for the Gardaí not being able to track down this person and send a file to the DPP for attempted murder when these scumbags are littering the streets of Dublin at the moment in open sight. They were of course always there but managed to lerk in the background with the footfall of commuters and shoppers and tourists.

I can’t stop thinking about this lady. Praying she pulls through from her physical injuries. The psychological injury from this however will probably never heal.

Not a chance of the perpetrator getting done for attempted murder in this country. I can see the headline now. 4 years with 2 years suspended. He’s doing well and engaging with probation services. Our justice system is gone, it’s over. There is no justice anymore. Just keep your head down and hopefully you can avoid any trouble. It’s a very sad state of affairs how we’ve come to this.

There is currently a severe housing crisis in Dublin. If tax payers were prioritised for social housing in high demand areas the issues discussed on this thread would not significantly exist.

Or if social housing in high-demand areas was scrapped completely. That'd do wonders.

Wander through a social housing estate, one of the old ones, and you can see just by glancing, which houses are the ones that house the scumbags, and which ones are the ones that were bought by the residents.

If everyone living in the high-demand areas had to pay for their house, and it's upkeep, you can be sure the 'quality' of person living there would increase significantly, and the entire city would gentrify overnight.

I'm not saying no social housing in Dublin at all, of course. But keep it to the outer edges and less popular areas. Johnny Knackbag shouldn't be getting a free apartment next door to Tommy Taxpayer, who has paid a quarter of a million for his one. It's a horrendous situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hopefully the scumbag is caught and brought to justice.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

My spanish/mexican housemates were very surprised at the level of wee scumbags about Dublin. In their countries there is crime but the kids at least have respect. We need some send some to do military tranining or something because how we treat this subclass at the moment obviously isnt working.

Also, I see the far left are on here getting mind erections and making the leap that because we have native born scumbags, we need more non-native scumbags to add into the mix because blah blah blah diversity, blah blah foreign cuisine. Nice try:D

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

I'd only move back to Dublin if it was a decent area, which are exorbitantly priced so little chance of that, nicely sorted out on the Cheshire fringes of Manchester for a fraction of the price, people are nicer and more cheerful here as well than that sour puss city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

biko wrote: »

Garda should have stop-and-frisk powers. I assume now this robber was a known criminal.

I wouldn't be in favour of that. The sharpest thing I ever carry on the street is a trolley token, but I don't think the Gards should have the power to stop and frisk without a very good reason.
    Hopefully the scumbag is caught and brought to justice. I don't care what race he is. Judging how little interest there has been in the thread it must be one of our white Irish who committed the crime. Whoever it was needs to be banged up in a cell quickly. Lone women walking at night are a prime target and all women should be aware of this and take precautions.

What a racist, sh!tty thing to say. Here's a thought for you....if the victim was a white man, it likely wouldn't have made news at all. White people are prime targets for gobsh1tes trolling the internet.
    In fairness they're pretty harmless, just not a good look for the city. But what can you do, you can't just ban addicts from going to places.

Until they're not. Mostly they are a nuisance, but they are often a danger too. Witnessing a junkie taking a dump on Talbot street in the middle of the day is a sight one cannot unsee.

dd973 wrote: »
    I'd only move back to Dublin if it was a decent area, which are exorbitantly priced so little chance of that, nicely sorted out on the Cheshire fringes of Manchester for a fraction of the price, people are nicer and more cheerful here as well than that sour puss city.

You seem very cheerful indeed.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,548 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

John Doe1 wrote: »
    My spanish/mexican housemates were very surprised at the level of wee scumbags about Dublin. In their countries there is crime but the kids at least have respect. We need some send some to do military tranining or something because how we treat this subclass at the moment obviously isnt working.

Also, I see the far left are on here getting mind erections and making the leap that because we have native born scumbags, we need more non-native scumbags to add into the mix because blah blah blah diversity, blah blah foreign cuisine. Nice try:D

You want to give violent sociopaths military training?

I don’t think for a second you’ve thought that through an inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

You seem very cheerful indeed.

It is a miserable twat of a place, country people (and more so the people down in Munster) have a more broad shouldered and chipper attitude about them, much like the Mancunians and Scousers not far from me.

Loads of Dubs have this hard done by, chippy attitude in tandem with that Capital City arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

dd973 wrote: »
    It is a miserable twat of a place, country people (and more so the people down in Munster) have a more broad shouldered and chipper attitude about them, much like the Mancunians and Scousers not far from me.

Loads of Dubs have this hard done by, chippy attitude in tandem with that Capital City arrogance.

And yet, here you are in a thread about a crime that happened in Dublin City :rolleyes:

Don't worry about Covid. You're in urgent need of treatment for Pale Envy :D

Stay Free

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Can anyone else think of a place, not just in Ireland but in Europe, where every store and pharmacy in the area has to have full time security.

Assuming a wage of around €20k, that means the locals must have been robbing and/or shoplifting more than €20k per year from EACH of these businesses in order to justify the wage of the security guard.

Yeah loads of places. Parts of London, Madrid, Naples, Rome, Paris, Brussels, Frankfurt, Malmö tó name a few.
    Loads of places have thugs just like Dublin.

You need to get out more if you think it's just Dublin that has crime issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Or if social housing in high-demand areas was scrapped completely. That'd do wonders.

Wander through a social housing estate, one of the old ones, and you can see just by glancing, which houses are the ones that house the scumbags, and which ones are the ones that were bought by the residents.

If everyone living in the high-demand areas had to pay for their house, and it's upkeep, you can be sure the 'quality' of person living there would increase significantly, and the entire city would gentrify overnight.

I'm not saying no social housing in Dublin at all, of course. But keep it to the outer edges and less popular areas. Johnny Knackbag shouldn't be getting a free apartment next door to Tommy Taxpayer, who has paid a quarter of a million for his one. It's a horrendous situation.

Social housing isn't free and social tenents are taxpayers just like private house dwellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Yeah loads of places. Parts of London, Madrid, Naples, Rome, Paris, Brussels, Frankfurt, Malmö tó name a few.
    Loads of places have thugs just like Dublin.

You need to get out more if you think it's just Dublin that has crime issues.

I have never seen a security guard in a pharmacy in Frankfurt, including the red light district, Bahnhofsviertel,
    Gallus and Gutleutviertel.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Social housing isn't free and social tenents are taxpayers just like private house dwellers.

If your landlord gives you 200 a week, and politely asks for 30 back to pay for the rent, it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

A woman was stabbed in the neck near IFSC as she walked home from work.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/woman-stabbed-neck-horror-mugging-23358963

If we have anti-terrorist police and police operations everywhere targeting terrorist attacks, why don't we have anti-welfare class police to protect the rest of us from this group of people? And everything that comes from that, informants, surveillance etc so we can put these people behind bars where they belong. IFSC should have a security camera on every corner but it doesn't.

Is there any other general group you want to blame for this?

Its lazy and rather emotional thinking on your part if you don't mind my saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

John Doe1 wrote: »

You'd really want to educate yourself about crime in Mexico. There's kids there who are hit men. Gang crime involving youngsters is off the scale. To imply Ireland is worse is just staggering. Such a naive comment. Don't see what this has to do with far left either but sure get your wee nonsensical rant in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

They aren't though, they harass people constantly, which escalates.

I wonder with less people to harass are they getting more desperate.

We need a will within this country to talk about and deal with problems, not constantly kick it down the road

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement