Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Discovery 3x12 - 'There Is A Tide...' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

I know other people have done this comparison, but hell, im gonna do it full on here

COMPARISON: Last weeks Discovery V This Weeks expanse (Spoiler Free just discussion of the optics and general watch-ability of the episodes in question)

The Expanse S5E6
    • Episode six so mid way through the season, ground work is still being laid, but story is compelling
    • Dense Episode, for anyone that hasnt seen it - a lot happens - probably not the strongest episode but again, so much going on - one could not say this was filler
    • First watch: OMG i want to get to the end here, this is nerve wracking
    • Multiple plot lines all starting to converge
    • Second watch - internally comparing plot elements to previous episodes - paying special attention to dialogue and Nuance of the story
    • Third watch - later tonight i plan on rewatching - had i not already rewatched Season 4 that would be a must at this stage - but may definitely watch the last 3 episodes of the Expanse S5 tonight
    • Multiple theories in mind for what is happening - i am up to book 4, prefer to watch then read - may end up skipping that rule and diving straight into book 5 soon, and then onward

Discovery: S3 E12
    • Penultimate Episode - Cliffhanger Element - All ground work laid. I should be excited - im not - the season thus far has been ludicrous
    • Several different plot lines currently taking place - only one of any interest was Orion offer of Alliance with the Federation - poorly executed, unbelievable plot twist with the Admirals suggestion Orion Leader be put on trial - farce
    • Micharl Burnham/John McClane running around the ship trying to take it back - barely watched it, i was cleaning in the background - Utterly fed up with Burnham at this stage
    • Dialogue utterly devoid of meaning
    • Totally unnecessary to Re-Watch the season - nothing happened of any consequence to this episode - have not rewatched the episode and do not see any point in doing so
    • PROBABLY a strong discovery outing for this season - not a high enough fence to jump -
    • No re-watch necessary - the Contrived 'Sphere Data' is gonna help michael save the day - The other guys stranded on Dilitium Rich Planet will be fine -
    • Barely acknowledge that tomorrow is the season finale

This show is terrible - comparing it to something reasonable highlights, in a very real way, just how terrible it is. And yes i know there are books on which the expanse is based - That doesnt mean anything, star trek used to be so good, that novelizations would be a given for certain episodes - The writing is utterly abysmal this season of discovery
    • The overall plot is contrived
    • The background information, what background we have been given is ludicrous
    • There are no actual compelling characters, except perhaps Saru, who is secondary to the writers prime choice in Burnham
    • standalone material has been horrendously poor

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Acosta wrote: »
    Decent episode with good pacing. But as always it's let down by terrible writing and the worst lead actor in the history of Star Trek
    She is always teary-eyed looking up at someone, or whispering comforting words.

All characters are pretty crap but she is by far my biggest pet peeve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Absolute dogs dinner of a show, but the bizarre thing is you enter Discovery into twitter and it seems to get mostly positive reviews.
    I was wondering was there a different show called Discovery that I didn't know about.
    People going on about great plotting, acting etc.. I don't know.

I concluded it appeals to the twitter crowd as that place is crazy to begin with, so, no surprise really.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

De Bhál wrote: »
    Absolute dogs dinner of a show, but the bizarre thing is you enter Discovery into twitter and it seems to get mostly positive reviews.
    I was wondering was there a different show called Discovery that I didn't know about.

I concluded it appeals to the twitter crowd as that place is crazy to begin with, so, no surprise really.

It's Twilight in space, of course some idiots love it.

You have to give it to the writers though, they nailed writing about space, it's certainly the most vacuous show I've ever watched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I remember Red Letter Media exposing the use of bots on twitter to hype star trek online, all using the exact same script.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

De Bhál wrote: »

I believe There’s a sky show called discovery of witches.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I believe There’s a sky show called discovery of witches.

It's great I am happily watching it :D

Advertisement