Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What antivirus solution does the Irish Government use?

• 21-11-2020 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Just wondering what brand / solution they use on their systems... such as Sophos, McAfee or Kaspersky etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

They wont have any one brand.
    There may be edge firewalls from Fire eye, IPS/IDS from a different company and then a different desktop solution at minimum.

And different depts may buy different products. There isnt one simple answer for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

It'll be the best of the best. If it wasn't then not alone would they run the risk of a national scandal but there'd be a good chance that they'd end up having to pay a GDPR breach fine.

Tulsa got in a bit of hot water on that front a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

Just wondering what brand / solution they use on their systems... such as Sophos, McAfee or Kaspersky etc.

Each department will probably have their own instance as they mainly have seperate procurment and seperate emvironments.

But all will have an enterprise level AV from probably one of the big vendors

It'll be the best of the best. If it wasn't then not alone would they run the risk of a national scandal but there'd be a good chance that they'd end up having to pay a GDPR breach fine.

Tulsa got in a bit of hot water on that front a while back.

In my experience, the opposite of this post is true.

Its a good thing there are no major secrets in this country because if there were well..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

denartha wrote: »

Its a good thing there are no major secrets in this country because if there were well..

How do you know? :pac:

• Advertisement

What is "the government" the TDs? The department of the Taoiseach? Leinster House? or the 18 government departments and 208 government agencies, where almost all of those have their own ICT team or department?

GarIT wrote: »
    How do you know? :pac:

I was being facetious, as you know.

I was being facetious, as you know.

I know, I was joking that if there were secrets by definition we wouldn't know.

GarIT wrote: »
    I know, I was joking that if there were secrets by definition we wouldn't know.

Most of this country's secrets are in paper files guarded by nuns.

Impossible to hack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

What experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Joe Exotic wrote: »
    Each department will probably have their own instance as they mainly have seperate procurment and seperate emvironments.

But all will have an enterprise level AV from probably one of the big vendors

there's an Office of Government Procurement that was setup to stop departments and other govt bodies from all doing their own thing. They generally setup "frameworks" of approved suppliers that individual govt organisations can buy from. There's one for Security Software that I would guess includes AV.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Most of this country's secrets are in paper files guarded by nunswhich disappeared in mysterious 'fires'

FYP :p

On topic, obviously every organisation will have its own solution. Government bodies don't all share one big happy network and don't take each others' output on trust either - and nor should they.

BTW the thread title and OP seem to naively think of AV as the first (or only :eek: ) layer of defence in an organisation, in reality if a threat gets as far as your desktop or server AV then somebody has fcuked up somewhere - that's your last layer of defence.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Frameworks include multiple suppliers and usually differing products/solutions. There is no good reason to have all of government on the same AV, for instance.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

horgan_p wrote: »
    There may be edge firewalls from Fire eye, IPS/IDS from a different company and then a different desktop solution at minimum.
    This FireEye ? :D
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/us-cybersecurity-firm-victim-of-hacking-by-national-government-1048510.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Everyone is smug until they get caught out. At least Fire Eye put their hands up and released tools to mitigate the potential for problems.

Fire Eye should be applauded for how they are dealing with this. Other companies wouldn't have said a word until the bad guys had begun knocking over networks.

horgan_p wrote: »
    Everyone is smug until they get caught out. At least Fire Eye put their hands up and released tools to mitigate the potential for problems.

Fire Eye should be applauded for how they are dealing with this. Other companies wouldn't have said a word until the bad guys had begun knocking over networks.
    As per article, breach date was not reveled - it could be weeks/months/years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

As per article, breach date was not reveled - it could be weeks/months/years

March 2020.

March 2020.
    Is that official? Any links

6 months is long enough to do damage.

Advertisement