Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Songs to sing at a session

• 24-07-2019 10:24am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looking for some quick recommendations if anyone has any.

I go to a trad session every few weeks and they only have the occasional singer but are always looking for people to sing. My mrs hassles me to sing but the songs I know would more be along the likes of The Dubliners, Luke Kelly, High Kings, so not strictly session songs. Anyone have any suggestions for songs I could learn that would suit a session more?

Other thing is, last time I sang a fella told me it was in the key of G and the musicians took a while to adjust play along to that. Anything I can do to fix this..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Have you ever listed to Sean Keane (his aunt is Dolores Keane) - he has some lovely songs and does a great version of Fields of Gold. Caledonia is a great song for a guy as well or my favourite is The Contender. Tommy Flemming sings this, now he might not be to your taste but its a great song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgXpUqKVTpo

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

angeleyes wrote: »
    Have you ever listed to Sean Keane (his aunt is Dolores Keane) - he has some lovely songs and does a great version of Fields of Gold. Caledonia is a great song for a guy as well or my favourite is The Contender. Tommy Flemming sings this, now he might not be to your taste but its a great song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgXpUqKVTpo

Will give them both a listen now, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

Hey there. I don't see any problem with the songs you describe fitting into sessions! All songs are welcome in my opinion as only the brave sing!

I would suggest maybe listening to some Paul Brady also as he has some fantastic versions of songs such as Arthur McBride that go down a treat.

In terms of key, take your time to make sure you are not too high or low for you...after that it's up to musicians to fit around you or leave you to it!

If you want to make sure you start on the same note each time (regardless of a musician being present or not) buy a cheap tin whistle and give yourself your starting note OR download an online piano App and give yourself your note that way.

Advertisement