Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Was the Irish famine a famine or genocide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

paddyandy wrote: »
    The Potatoe was almost our complete diet .There were warnings from mini- famines and we left ourselves at the cold mercy of nature and of the church who saw emigration as 'spreading the faith ' and english rule who wanted rid of us anyway and alas we could'nt find enough unity among ourselves as is the case today .Competitive attitudes set in very quickly when we have problems in Ireland .Every Issue becomes Football .We ate grass and rodents because we had no unity and were mistrustful of rules .It continues today .Every stream and hedge was a line in the sand and is today much the same .

Was there an alternative to leaving "ourselves at the cold mercy of nature and of the church"?

TBH that comes across a bit like the Marie Antoinette 'let them eat cake' misquote.

On the last point I dont see how more unity would have prevented the famine, or reduced its impact significantly. You could expand on this if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Yahew wrote: »
    Right this needs some sorting out.
    Biggest load of nonsense I have read in a long time
    CDfm wrote: »
    Interesting.

Can you explain some more.

Do you have any links or sources.
    archer22 has outlined some of the detail and some sources. Other sources would be the outrage reports (police reports) from this period which contained a constant stream of reports of bands of cottiers and labourers raiding tenant farmers - not to rob them of their stored provisions - but to force them to reduce prices and to try and prevent them selling produce to forestallers by threatening to kill them if they refused. Many tenant farmers also cashed in on this by getting significant sums from the local magistrates to give evidence against the attackers (one farmer from Pallaskenry got £100 and bought a large farm in Canada with the money - others would get money to fortify their properties and purchase guns to fend off attackers).

One thing that has to be remembered is that this situation prevailed for many years prior to the famine going back to the Caravat/Shanavest conflict which began in 1808 and continuing through the Rockite Rebellion and the Terry Alt rebellion right up to the famine. There are detailed outlines in the Poor Law Report that demonstrated the attitude of the Irish tenant farmer to the cottier/labourer. The situation was exacerbated by the famine.

Tenant farmers with 15 acres survived the famine without difficulty - those with 30 acres made a handsome profit from the crisis. Those on 5 acres or less were systematically driven into the landless class - both by the policy of the British government to clear smallholdings and the crisis caused by the famine itself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

archer22 has outlined some of the detail and some sources. Other sources would be the outrage reports (police reports)
    archer22 wrote: »
    A good source for evidence of profiteering by tenant farmers and merchants can be found in the minutes of meetings by the poorhouse commitees and poorhouse purchase records.

It would be helpful to readers of this thread if quotations or links from both sources were given.
    Sometimes evidence can be misinterpreted or misrepresented, so it would help if we could get to the evidence speedily, rather than having to hunt it out for ourselves.
    It helps things to move along and reduces ambiguity and vagueness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

slowburner wrote: »
    It would be helpful to readers of this thread if quotations or links from both sources were given.
    Sometimes evidence can be misinterpreted or misrepresented, so it would help if we could get to the evidence speedily, rather than having to hunt them out for ourselves.
    It helps things to move along and reduces ambiguity and vagueness.
    I understand your point.However I do not have the time to go back sifting throught it all again nor do I have the computing ability to be able to transfer extracts of pages from those sites to this..(I have to learn how to do this stuff.).All I can do is point people in the direction to look if they want to research it for themselves.And as poorhouse records exist for areas all over the country best to go through many of them to get the general trends.Incidentaly what you will see is the committes constanly stating that prices for items such as Milk Vegetables and Meat had risen again and they were looking for alternative suppliers or looking at others foods that could be substituted for the now overpriced items.There was little or no official outrage like you might expect today over profiteering or the morals of it.It was not a crime back then..Lassiez faire economics being the norm.However it looks different viewed through todays moral standards.

In relation to the outrage reports you will have to go to the National Archives and spend a considerable amount of time (which I have) going through moutains of paper - they are not online and cannot be linked to.

some examples -

On 29 May 1842 the houses of James Purcell and the Widow Grimes of Croagh attacked for selling potatoes to strangers for more than 16s a barrel (1 June 1842, 17/9857, Outrage Papers, County Limerick, 1842, National Archives, Dublin)

On 26 May House of Sullivan in Bohernagalle attacked and ordered him to reduce his price for potatoes (30 May 1842, 17/9723, Outrage Papers, County Limerick, 1842, National Archives, Dublin)

On 18 May a number of farmers in Kenry were threatened for selling potatoes to strangers (27 May 1842, 17/9545, Outrage Papers, County Limerick, 1842, National Archives, Dublin.)

On 10 June farmers in Pallaskenry threatened over the high price of potatoes (11 June 1842, 17/10709, Outrage Papers, County Limerick, 1842, National Archives, Dublin.)

On 5 June David Hayes of Ashgrove threatened over price of potatoes (9 June 1842, 17/10449, Outrage Papers, County Limerick, 1842, National Archives, Dublin)

Farmers in Cowpark, Kenry threatened over the price of potatoes and ordered to refund the surplus (15 June 1842, 17/11037, Outrage Papers, County Limerick, 1842, National Archives, Dublin.)

Some local libraries might have the Poor Law Guardian minute books online - you can run a search.

As for the Poor Law Report - the Clare Library website has the report for Clare - this is a sample of the comments -
    John Carrig, a labourer, said, “If I had cash last July, I could have got potatoes at 1½d. a stone ; but I had none, and I was afterwards obliged to give at the rate of 2½d. The only way I had to pay was by giving work ; I was allowed 8d. a day, and was obliged to begin immediately : this we call getting potatoes against time.” ... Carrig described the effect which debt thus incurred had upon him, “as a weight that broke down his spirits, that he felt he was giving his body’s labour for nothing ; but a man would do anything rather than starve. All the time he was working out the potatoes he got last July, he had but two meals a day, and my children should have the same ; if they had not, they would screech, and he could not stand that.”

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/history/poverty/kildysart_able.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Ok here is one example hope it gets through http://www.waterfordcountymuseum.org/exhibit/web/Display/article/85/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

On the figures....

Population density is usually reckoned in individuals per unit area, not area per individuals (land-labour ratio)

The 1851 (population) census reports figures for area under grass, crop and fallow by county, and the Devon Commission lists areas classed as waste according to pre-boundary commission. Adjusting for areas in/out of agricultural use, average land per individual was 0.49 acres. Taking raw population/area yields an average of 2.62, which is considered more robust owing to possible inaccuracies in pre-1851 agricultural reports (i.e. the crude estimates of the 1841 census, not the formal yearly agricultural statistics which began in 1847).

More interesting is the significant variation in density by county (and at lower levels of aggregation), and the numerous strong correlations this variable exhibits with others such as poor law valuation her head, proportion of holdings 1.5 acres, % areas held in joint tenancy.

Christine Kinealy included an analysis of ration uptake as an appendix to her book which gives a good sense of regional variability - also the NCG's tabulation of the 1851 agricultural census data.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

efla wrote: »
    On the figures....

Population density is usually reckoned in individuals per unit area, not area per individuals (land-labour ratio)

The 1851 (population) census reports figures for area under grass, crop and fallow by county, and the Devon Commission lists areas classed as waste according to pre-boundary commission. Adjusting for areas in/out of agricultural use, average land per individual was 0.49 acres. Taking raw population/area yields an average of 2.62, which is considered more robust owing to possible inaccuracies in pre-1851 agricultural reports (i.e. the crude estimates of the 1841 census, not the formal yearly agricultural statistics which began in 1847).

More interesting is the significant variation in density by county (and at lower levels of aggregation), and the numerous strong correlations this variable exhibits with others such as poor law valuation her head, proportion of holdings 1.5 acres, % areas held in joint tenancy.

Christine Kinealy included an analysis of ration uptake as an appendix to her book which gives a good sense of regional variability - also the NCG's tabulation of the 1851 agricultural census data.
    0.49 + 2.62/2 = an average of 1.55 acres per person: not a million miles off the 1.3 acres per person I calculated on the back of an envelope?

Does this make any sense, or is my numerical dyslexia showing up again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Biggest load of nonsense I have read in a long time

Feel free to actually refute the arguments. ( Note by the way that in my arguments I didn't mention anything about landlords).

The blaming of the Irish tenant farmer is a form of victim blaming fascism. Throughout the British Empire millions died in Famines, and for the purposes of a discussion of genocide this is what we are discussing. Simply, would Britain have allowed 25% of the population of England ( and say 40% of the home counties) to die in a famine were there mechanisms to prevent the slaughter.

If not then the deaths in Ireland were avoidable and the thing was a human caused famine. It doesn't matter if some tenant farmers were doing well, the United Kingdom could have preserved life in Ireland by banning exports - designed to keep Britain fed - and not importing enough food from America.

My main points stand of course.

1) Ireland probably wasn't in food deficit.
    2) If it was in minor deficit food could have been imported. Or rationing introduced, or both.
    3) An Irish Catholic parliament would have done this.
    3) Ergo, Failure to do this was genocidal and based on racisl and sectarian policies.

That some - relatively few - tenant farmers did well is irrelevant to this.

It was no famine. Ireland was probably producing enough to feed itself. The right wing racists attacking the Irish for a social and economic catastrophe wrought by an Empire are like the Nazi apologists blaming the Kapos for mistreatment of Jews in the camps.

Feel free to actually refute the arguments. ( Note by the way that in my arguments I didn't mention anything about landlords).

The blaming of the Irish tenant farmer is a form of victim blaming fascism. Throughout the British Empire millions died in Famines, and for the purposes of a discussion of genocide this is what we are discussing. Simply, would Britain have allowed 25% of the population of England ( and say 40% of the home counties) to die in a famine were there mechanisms to prevent the slaughter.

If not then the deaths in Ireland were avoidable and the thing was a human caused famine. It doesn't matter if some tenant farmers were doing well, the United Kingdom could have preserved life in Ireland by banning exports - designed to keep Britain fed - and not importing enough food from America.

2) If it was in minor deficit food could have been imported. Or rationing introduced, or both.
    3) Ergo, Failure to do this was genocidal and based on racisl and sectarian policies.

It was no famine. Ireland was probably producing enough to feed itself. The right wing racists attacking the Irish for a social and economic catastrophe wrought by an Empire are like the Nazi apologists blaming the Kapos for mistreatment of Jews in the camps.
    Did you enjoy you rant?

I never said that the British government didn't have responsibility for what happen or a role to play in avoiding what happened.

Your assessment is way off the mark -

1. There was a countrywide failure of the potato crop - the primary (and in many cases the only) source of food for 60% or more of the population (I would have to dig out my census records to get an accurate figure)
    2. There was a large stock of food in the country that was being controlled by Irish tenant farmers and Irish merchants. They were manipulating the supply of food in order to pump up the prices in order to make a killing on the crisis (something they had been doing for decades - including during the partial famines in 1821 and 1831).
    3. Landless labourers and cottiers engaged in an ongoing campaign of intimidation and violence against Irish tenant farmers and forestallers (not against landlords or the British) in an effort to force them to release food supplies at affordable prices (as demonstated above)
    4. Many landlords reduced rents to Irish tenant farmers who then refused to pass on these rent reductions to labourers and cottiers (Donnelly, The Land and People of Nineteenth-Century Cork, p.101). In a few isolated cases landlords were reportedly going bankrupt while their tenant farmers were banking large sums of money - at least that is what the landlords claimed.
    5. Many Irish tenant farmers used the Magistrates against the labourers and cottiers who attempted to force the release of food stores - as archer22 has pointed out, it was perfectly legal under existing economic policies to attempt to manipulate food prices during periods of shortage or famine and then try and exploit the situation to make increased profits .
    6. Furthermore many Irish tenant farmers took significant sums of money in the form of 'legal' bribes to give evidence against labourers and cottiers - in many cases with little or no evidence to back up their claims. The only time the establishment acted over food shortages was when there was a danger of an outbreak of widespread food rioting in urban areas and rural towns (as occurred in June of 1841).
    7. The number of Irish tenant farmers was reduced by about 40% (300,000) between 1841-51 - primarily farmers who had less than five acres. The number of labourers decreased by about 350,000 (about 35%). However in the follwing ten years to 1861 the number of farmers increased while the number of labourers was halved again by nearly half a million.
    8. Farmers on more than 30 acres survived the famine and made substantial profits on the back of it.

To quote from the Poor law Report on the treatment of labourers by Irish tenant farmers (you can find it on the Clare library website)

A labourer named McMahon “When we get potatoes on trust, we work out the loan of them by labour with the farmers, who are very hard on us ; they make us work like slaves, and this we must do to keep in favour with them.”

A priest named Carrig,

“I have frequently to collect at the chapel for desolate and sick people, and I often see the labouring man give a halfpenny while I cannot get one farthing from some of the rich farmers who attend mass on Sundays.”

Mr. Fitzgerald
    "The credit system is not so popular as it used to be formerly, when people were richer ; they could always, when in want, procure potatoes on credit, by paying a little more than the market price, but now the agricultural classes are so distressed the farmers will not trust the labourers. Occasionally, when they think a man solvent, they give him credit, and charge him most exorbitant interest, frequently cent. per cent."

From the Commissioners
    "The rich scarcely give anything as compared with the poor, even the mere labourers, who have nothing but a cabin, relieve the poor beggar. Assistant Commissioners were in several such houses when relief was given to beggars."

"The persons who actually take this unfair advantage of the poverty of the lower classes are farmers holding from 10 to 20 acres ; and upon inquiry as to what had been the overcharge this year, the Assistant Commissioners could not discover that a greater advance had in any instance been demanded than about 1s. in the pound."

I could go on but I think I have made my point.

Now - the primary responsibility for the death and destruction caused by the famine lies firmly at the door of the British government for the policies adopted before, during and after the famine. The secondary responsibility lies with the landlords who provided the political, social and economic basis for government policy.

However, the Irish population was not homogeneous - deep class divisions existed within the irish population - between the Irish merchant class and the Irish tenant farmers on one hand and the urban working class, the landless labourers and the cottiers on the other. This deep class divide was manifest in the uprisings of 1808-16, 1821-25 and 1831 when most of the conflict was class conflict between the two class groups - rather than being directed against the landlords and the British (although there were periods when it did happen).

During the famine - as they had in the years previously and were to again after - the Irish merchants, forestallers and Irish tenant farmers, manipulated and exploited the scarcity of food to drive up prices and make windfall profits, all at the expense (in terms of death as well as financial) of the cottiers, labourers and urban working class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I certainly wouldn't have trusted an Irish Catholic parliament to do right by the starving underclass. Christianity, whether it be Catholic or protestant, although preaching that everyone was equal in the eyes of God, certainly never practiced it, especially at the time of the famine. I don't think that any civilised country at the time had much in the way of "human rights" for those at the bottom of the social heap.

You've only to see what's happened in this "Catholic" state since 1922, with corruption, greed, rampant inequality, and looking after No 1. If my ancestors are anything to go by, there must have been a fair few people on the verge of starvation during the 1920s and 1930s in rural Ireland.

19th century Ireland wasn't going to be Utopia, no matter who was running the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Off topic posts have been deleted.

Please stick to the subject being discussed. Refer to forum charter and guidelines for more information on posting. These are found on the first page of the History boards page. The nature of a forum is that people will have opinions but they are open to challenge by others. All users need to be willing to back their opinions up, particularly when challenged to do so, with source material (see sticky on sources).

Any problems with this should be PM'd to a moderator.

Moderator.

0.49 + 2.62/2 = an average of 1.55 acres per person: not a million miles off the 1.3 acres per person I calculated on the back of an envelope?

Does this make any sense, or is my numerical dyslexia showing up again?

Not quite - 0.49 is calculated by deducting land not dedicated to agricultural use or classed as waste, the latter is total area / total population (they cant be averaged in such a way as they work from different base values). It is a problematic statistic, as it doesn't account very well for areas with high relief and greater land concentration (i.e. large grazing tracts).

When the latter figure is examined at county level, it shows quite the opposite - Mayo records a land-labour ratio of 3.51 acres per individual, whereas areas along the anglo-Norman tillage periphery to the south east show less (Wexford 2.85, Kilkenny 2.52).

Almquist discusses it in his article - population density is a problematic figure as it doesn't account well for collective leasing. Devon Commission statistics show 58% of holdings in Co. Mayo were by common or joint tenancy, which yields larger acreages per holding, and therefore greater land-labour ratios which are not necesserily representative of how many many have occupied a particular lease (i.e. 20+ families on a collective lease enumerated as a single occupier, as with some instances in Griffiths valuation).

Examining depopulation figures for Roscommon at this link shows wide variation even between neighbouring ED's. Apologies for going on about it, but it at least shows the complexities of landholding. The Malthusian approach doesn't adequately account for such regional inequality.

Eric Almquist's 'Mayo and Beyond' goes through some of the difficulties, as do many of Austin Bourke's articles on pre-famine statistics. The problem was not so much overpopulation as enclosure - removal of commonage and enclosure for grazing in response to market demand ensured that ordinarily viable settlements relying on combined tillage and grazing were deprived of grazing grounds, and scope for expansion through reclamation (again, the Devon commission suggests, even in the most 'congested' areas, much waste ground was suitable for reclamation).

It's complex but salient material. Would it be worth its own thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't have trusted an Irish Catholic parliament to do right by the starving underclass. Christianity, whether it be Catholic or protestant, although preaching that everyone was equal in the eyes of God, certainly never practiced it, especially at the time of the famine. I don't think that any civilised country at the time had much in the way of "human rights" for those at the bottom of the social heap.

You've only to see what's happened in this "Catholic" state since 1922, with corruption, greed, rampant inequality, and looking after No 1. If my ancestors are anything to go by, there must have been a fair few people on the verge of starvation during the 1920s and 1930s in rural Ireland.

19th century Ireland wasn't going to be Utopia, no matter who was running the show.

This is a huge claim and simply not true. Soup kitchens were organised by Quakers - or are they not Christian in your eyes?

Your statements are sweeping and general and without reference ....you ought to consult the record on the reaction of other governments throughout Europe and beyond to the same blight. Governments in Belgium, Russia and the city state of Alexandria closed their ports to food exports in order to relieve the suffering of their citizens caught in the same situation as the Irish.

It's complex but salient material. Would it be worth its own thread?

A thread on statistical sources?

I transcribed a pile of aggregate statistics for my own thesis (not the ones I reported here, I pilfered those from Almquist's PhD - with citation :) ), but they should be available publicly. I've come across a few other researchers who have transcribed similar figures - even the same census enumerators' books - which seems a bit pointless.

There really should be some kind of central archive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

The Aid debate.You had souperism and the Poor Law system was controlled by the establishment with aid and conversion being linked.

And the Presbyterian Dr John Edgar who was active in Connaught was not one of them.

I hope soon to have an opportunity of
    directing public attention to spiritual famine in Connaught, but our effort now is to save
    the perishing body ... Our brother is starving, and, till we have satisfied his hunger, we
    have no time to inquire whether he is Protestant or Romanist’ (Killen 1867: 217-218).
    Rev John Edgar D.D, LL.D (1798-1866)
    je.jpg
    In 1842 John Edgar wrote,
    My highest and holiest ambition, my fervent wish and prayer for my two sons, is that they may faithfully and successfully preach in the Irish language to the Irish people.
    He was born near Ballynahinch in 1798, son of the Rev. Samuel Edgar (1766-1826) and his wife Elizabeth McKee (1771-1839). He shone as a student at the Belfast Academical Institution where he carried off four silver medals. Edgar was noted for his humanity and his high ideals and renowned as the originator of the Temperance Movement, preceding by some years the work of the Rev. Fr Mathew (1838). His letter to the Belfast News Letter on 14 August 1829 was the first appeal on behalf of Temperance Societies that appeared in Europe.
    A person of strong social conscience, he was involved in the early development of several of the public institutions in Belfast. Dr Orpen of Dublin, a fluent Irish-speaker, had founded the first establishment for deaf mutes in Ireland. Dr Edgar was instrumental in getting the Deaf, Dumb and Blind Institute in Belfast started. This was only one of his many charitable ventures. He was sensitive to his cultural environment and described in detail the custom of “keening” (from the Irish caoin, to cry or moan) for the deceased. He first heard in Co Down, but felt that the Connemara keen was much superior. His well-known tract A Cry from Connaught was a best seller with 26,000 copies being printed. It first appeared in the Missionary Herald of November 1846. He commented on the failure of the potato crop and how it was spreading panic. However, there was as yet no inkling of the devastating disaster still to strike. The work of the Irish schools was progressing very well and he described the successes in much detail:
    In the district I visited there were 107 Irish Schools, which furnished for examination, last inspection, 2053 pupils, but not less than 5000 are under instruction..
    He criticised the attitude of the Anglican Church and in a paper read at the 6th annual confferance of the British organisation of the Evangelical Alliance in August 1852 he said:
    Is it at all surprising that the Reformation made small progress in Ireland when those in authority persisted in attempting to spread it by means of a language (English) which the people did not understand.
    In 1840 he was a member of the Secession Synod and Minister of Alfred Street congregation. In 1842 he was elected Moderator of the General Assembly.
    John Edgar resented the allegation that he was a proselytiser and that his objective was to turn Roman Catholics into Presbyterians. He pointed out that his sole aim was to give them living, saving, faith in the Son of God. Furthermore, the Home Mission, of which John Edgar was the Honorary secretary in 1847, could not be accused of using the Famine, which broke out in that year, as a means of getting a foothold in Connaught: they were already there. He died in 1866 aged 68.

http://edgarfamily.angelfire.com/ministers.htm

There is an article in Insight an online Archaelogy site discussing the role of Protestant Groups and its affects on protestants.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~archaeology/two/famine.htm

[SIZE=+1]Seán Stitt[/SIZE].
    [SIZE=+1]Abstract[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+1] [/SIZE]
    Around the 150th anniversary of the potato famine in Ireland in 1995, volumes of academic and populist sources have discussed, commented and analysed the calamity - however, some features of the event have attracted little or no attention. The most extensively-published author on the 'Great Famine' in 19th century Ireland is Christine Kinealy. In 2002, she remarked: 'The role of the various churches in Ireland throughout the famine, especially (the main) Protestant churches, has been largely untold.' 1 This paper is an attempt to fill that gap. Specifically, it aims to address the roles and attitudes of those Protestant groups and churches which endeavoured to manipulate the Famine for religious agendas. The author acknowledges that famine relief by most Protestants, both individually and collectively, was given in the spirit of humanity and benevolence. However, as far as the author is aware, this is the first paper dedicated solely to addressing the activities and beliefs of those Protestant organisations which sought to exploit the deaths and suffering of millions in Ireland in order to destroy the religious beliefs and practices of the indigenous Irish population (Catholicism) and to promote their own version of faith (Protestantism).
    'We shall be equally blamed for keeping the Irish alive or letting them die and we have only to select between the Economists or the Philanthropists - which do you prefer?'
    Lord Clarendon - August 1847 - House of Commons

He mentions the situation in Northern Ireland too

Kinealy & MacAtasney 55 commented that a significant omission from the debate on the Great Famine has been an academic analysis of: (a) the impact of the Famine in Ulster and; (b) famine relief there. Although historical studies have, predominately, argued that Belfast, along with Dublin and Cork cities, were largely unaffected by the worst excesses of the potato failure, Kinealy & MacAtasney 56 point out that more contemporary evidence suggests that this was not the case. For example, in early 1847, soup kitchens in Belfast were feeding 3,000 people every day. Despite less than objective comments such as, 'there is no evidence that the Famine played any part in the history of Belfast' (DUP Councillor Sammy Wilson in February 1997, 57, there is, when actively looked for, 'vast amounts of historical records available' on widespread suffering in Belfast and the rest of Ulster. In July 1847, the Belfast Orange Lodge bemoaned that the Famine had 'thinned out our local population and removed many of our local brethren' 58. In the same year, the Society of Friends visited eastern Down - now the most prosperous area of Northern Ireland - and commented, 'It would be impossible to find more distressing cases, short of the horrors of Skibbereen' 59. Throughout the entire famine, however, the impact was, generally speaking, less severe in some districts of Ulster than the rest of the country. Nonetheless, even this fact was described in religious rationale. According to the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in July 1847:
    'We are grateful to Almighty God while we humbly regard it as an illustration of the industry and general comfort promoted by our beloved Church that, in Ulster, where our principles are most widely disseminated, the visitation has appeared in a much less aggravated form than in those provinces in which the Romish system still, unhappily, maintains its degrading and paralyzing ascendancy.' 60

Kinealy & MacAtasney 61 have pointed to the prevailing myth that only the Catholic majority were affected by the Great Hunger. Of course, data shows that Catholics did, indeed, make up the vast majority of those who died from starvation and related illness, and emigrated to escape from death. However, the authors indicate that the Protestant community, including those who lived in Ulster, suffered a great deal from the effects of the potato blight and subsequent poverty. Protestants regarded themselves as a 'plebeian aristocracy', socially superior to their Catholics counterparts, even though they experienced similar levels of deprivation. Consequently, when the potato famine surfaced upon Belfast, there followed, for many, an immoveable reluctance to acknowledge the problem and its impact upon Ulster. In April 1846, a leading Catholic newspaper pointed to this reluctance of the Protestant ascendancy to apply for the little support there was for famine relief because 'it is a disgrace to the province and [yet] wonder that persons will not be content to linger, sigh and die in silence, sooner than sully the credit of Ulster'.

The article is detailed with lots of referenced and is here

http://homepage.eircom.net/~archaeology/two/famine.htm

ejmaztec wrote: »

Very few democracies allow famines - and this "famine" needed to be allowed. An Irish Catholic parliament would have started to changed the nature of ownership of lands, as it did ( and to be fair previously Gladstone did) allowing people to own more of their land. It would have shut borders, and appealed to the States.

This is empirically the case, the last famine in India, in 1943, killed 3 million people a few years before Independence, and nobody has died since.

An Irish Catholic parliament would have started to changed the nature of ownership of lands, as it did ( and to be fair previously Gladstone did) allowing people to own more of their land. It would have shut borders, and appealed to the States.

This is empirically the case, the last famine in India, in 1943, killed 3 million people a few years before Independence, and nobody has died since.

Exactly - But Gladstone only acted under the pressure from Ireland organised by the Irish Land League and the Home Rulers in the Westminster parliament. Even getting the Westminster parliament to 'discuss' the land issue in Ireland required Parnell to invent a process that became known as Obstructionism in order to get the Commons to even debate the issue of Irish land problems.

Gladstone had to be convinced by the Irish about his policy towards Ireland. It wasn't by any means an act of sheer benevolence on his part.

In relation to the outrage reports you will have to go to the National Archives and spend a considerable amount of time (which I have) going through moutains of paper - they are not online and cannot be linked to.

some examples -

On 29 May 1842 the houses of James Purcell and the Widow Grimes of Croagh attacked for selling potatoes to strangers for more than 16s a barrel (1 June 1842, 17/9857, Outrage Papers, County Limerick, 1842, National Archives, Dublin)

On 26 May House of Sullivan in Bohernagalle attacked and ordered him to reduce his price for potatoes (30 May 1842, 17/9723, Outrage Papers, County Limerick, 1842, National Archives, Dublin)

On 18 May a number of farmers in Kenry were threatened for selling potatoes to strangers (27 May 1842, 17/9545, Outrage Papers, County Limerick, 1842, National Archives, Dublin.)

On 10 June farmers in Pallaskenry threatened over the high price of potatoes (11 June 1842, 17/10709, Outrage Papers, County Limerick, 1842, National Archives, Dublin.)

On 5 June David Hayes of Ashgrove threatened over price of potatoes (9 June 1842, 17/10449, Outrage Papers, County Limerick, 1842, National Archives, Dublin)

Farmers in Cowpark, Kenry threatened over the price of potatoes and ordered to refund the surplus (15 June 1842, 17/11037, Outrage Papers, County Limerick, 1842, National Archives, Dublin.)

Some local libraries might have the Poor Law Guardian minute books online - you can run a search.

As for the Poor Law Report - the Clare Library website has the report for Clare - this is a sample of the comments -

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/history/poverty/kildysart_able.htm

The price of food would inevitably go up when the supply of food falls. Blaming people renting 15 acres , for this, and ignoring the top 1% who owned thousands of acres ( and lived off the food cash crop taken fro the tenant farmers, 15 acres and under) is sheer unadulterated ideological nonsense. It is also stomach churching, but there is a type of Irish Leftist whose opinions on the Empire in ireland is not dissimilar to the blimpist of Colonel Blimps.

You are deliberately dealing at a micro-economic level with a "famine" caused by macro-ecominic policy, and blaming the not poorest Catholic tenant farmer, a people without political representation or rights, for the decisions taken by people who owned thousands of Acres and their representatives - and theirs alone - in the House of Lords, and Commons.

None of this is taking any of my arguments on board, since I am dealing entirely at the Macro Economic level - Government policy on aid, relief, borders, rationing, and how the same government would have dealt with the same deficit in the home counties.

Its possible that importing enough food would have made the farmers on 15 acres poorer, dropping the cost of potatoes, who knows? Who cares.

That didn't happen, and the responsiliby lies with the government of Ireland which was based in London.

• Advertisement

The British learned lots in 100 years -now how did we deal with the irish famine. :rolleyes:

So you know the way people make bad jokes about tragedies -did the British have Irish Famine jokes ?

Yahew - you continue to make broad sweeping statements with absolutely no evidence to back it up - did you not read the moderators post on the last page
    Very few democracies allow famines - and this "famine" needed to be allowed. An Irish Catholic parliament would have started to changed the nature of ownership of lands, as it did ( and to be fair previously Gladstone did) allowing people to own more of their land. It would have shut borders, and appealed to the States.
    Two points here -

1. The 'land issue' was settled long before the establishment of the Free State
    2. During the land agitation of the 1880s the Irish tenant farmers used the landless labourers as fodder for the campaign promising major improvements on the rights of labourers. Once the Irish tenant farmers got what they wanted, they turned on the labourers and refused to implement many measures passed. The settlement that came out of the land war ignored the plight of the agricultural labourer except for legislation allowing local authorities to build cottages (W. E. Vaughan, Landlords and Tenants in Mid-Victorian Ireland, Oxford, 1994, p. 225). Under various Labourers Acts 1883-1906 a homeless labourer could insist on having land with a suitable cottage built there (Sir James O’Connor, History of Ireland 1798-1924, London, 1971, p. 102). However farmers, who had achieved security and reduced rents under the Land Act 1881, were reluctant to provide accommodation for labourers, even when required by the land courts to do so (Gribbon, ‘Economic and Social History’, in W. E. Vaughan (ed.), A New History of Ireland, p. 277.). In order to avoid having to comply with judicial orders under the Labourers Cottages and Allotments Act 1882 farmers simply evicted the labourers (Donnelly, The Land and People of Nineteenth-Century Cork, p. 241). Farmers also refused to provide sites to the local Boards of Guardians for the construction of new dwellings despite being offered good compensation (Donnelly, The Land and People of Nineteenth-Century Cork, p. 242). Despite the changes that occurred in terms of legislation in the last part of the nineteenth century, the Royal Commission on Labour in 1893 still described labourers’ cottages as ‘utterly wretched cabins unfit for habitation’ (Gribbon, ‘Economic and Social History’, in W. E. Vaughan (ed.), A New History of Ireland, p. 276).

Furthermore - there is zero evidence that an Irish Catholic Parliament would have done anything differently. Certainly the Cumann na nGaedheal government used the entire state appartus to attack striking farm labourers in 1922-1924 (Emmet O'Connor, A Labour History of Ireland 1824-2000, 2011 and Syndicalism in Ireland 1917-1923, 1988) allowing farmers to ride roughshod over the rights and living standards of labourers. The CnanG government also allowed a situation whereby thousands of labourers and their families were forced to live in haybarns and pigsties, charged exhorbitant rents by local farmers, during the building of the Ardnacrusha power station in 1925-26 - while at the same time driving down the wages of labourers on a countrywide basis from 52s a week to 35s a week (Michael McCarthy, How the Shannon Scheme Workers Lived, Old Limerick Journal, Vol. 8, August 1981, p.5-11)
    The price of food would inevitably go up when the supply of food falls.
    Yet you yourself claimed yesterday that there was ample food in the country - The price increased because Irish tenant farmers hoarded the food supplies and sold them to forestallers for export - pumping up prices for the local labourers and cottiers (and I have demonstrated this with evidence)
    Blaming people renting 15 acres , for this, and ignoring the top 1% who owned thousands of acres ( and lived off the food cash crop taken fro the tenant farmers, 15 acres and under) is sheer unadulterated ideological nonsense. It is also stomach churching, but there is a type of Irish Leftist whose opinions on the Empire in ireland is not dissimilar to the blimpist of Colonel Blimps.
    To start with - I argued that it was Irish tenant farmers with 30+ acres that were responsible. These tenant farmers did not, in the main, pay rent with crops - but in cash - most had bank accounts. During the famine the landlords complained that the tenant farmers dumped labourers out of work expecting the Landlords and merchants to subsidise their food supplies by overpaying for food and then releasing it to the poor on a limited basis at a reduced price (Limerick Chamber of Commerce minutes 1846)
    You are deliberately dealing at a micro-economic level with a "famine" caused by macro-ecominic policy, and blaming the not poorest Catholic tenant farmer, a people without political representation or rights, for the decisions taken by people who owned thousands of Acres and their representatives - and theirs alone - in the House of Lords, and Commons.
    Again - read what was posted -
    the primary responsibility for the death and destruction caused by the famine lies firmly at the door of the British government for the policies adopted before, during and after the famine. The secondary responsibility lies with the landlords who provided the political, social and economic basis for government policy
    This does not and should not absolve the Irish tenant farmers and the Irish merchants from their responsibility of exploiting the famine and the despiration of the labourers and cottiers to hike up prices and rake in massive profits. It happened and it was the Irish tenant farmers exploiting the Irish poor to make a quick buck and then crying that it was all the landlords fault.
    None of this is taking any of my arguments on board, since I am dealing entirely at the Macro Economic level - Government policy on aid, relief, borders, rationing, and how the same government would have dealt with the same deficit in the home counties.

Its possible that importing enough food would have made the farmers on 15 acres poorer, dropping the cost of potatoes, who knows? Who cares.

That didn't happen, and the responsiliby lies with the government of Ireland which was based in London.
    Once again - more sweeping statements with absolutely no evidence to back it up - you have produced absolutely nothing to contradict what has been posted in opposition to you and nothing to support your claims. If you are making statements of historical fact then the onus is on you to produce evidence (primary and secondary) to back it up - I have and so have others on this thread - you have not. Now if you want to be taken seriously in this debate, and not just someone engaged in a pro-Irish establishment, anti-British establishment rant, then produce the evidence to back up your claims.

Final point - on democracies preventing famine - read this -
    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/01/arts/does-democracy-avert-famine.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

Yahew - you continue to make broad sweeping statements with absolutely no evidence to back it up - did you not read the moderators post on the last page

Two points here -

1. The 'land issue' was settled long before the establishment of the Free State

It wasn't.

On the formation of the Irish Free State in 1922, the Commission was reconstituted by the Land Law (Commission) Act, 1923,[7] which also dissolved the Congested Districts Board. Provision was made for compulsory purchase of land owned by a non-Irish citizen. Untenanted land could now be compulsorily purchased and divided out to local families; this was applied unevenly across the country, with some large estates surviving if the owners could show that their land was being actively farmed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Land_Commission#D.C3.A1il_decree_1920
    2. During the land agitation of the 1880s the Irish tenant farmers used the landless labourers as fodder for the campaign promising major improvements on the rights of labourers. Once the Irish tenant farmers got what they wanted, they turned on the labourers and refused to implement many measures passed. The settlement that came out of the land war ignored the plight of the agricultural labourer except for legislation allowing local authorities to build cottages (W. E. Vaughan, Landlords and Tenants in Mid-Victorian Ireland, Oxford, 1994, p. 225). Under various Labourers Acts 1883-1906 a homeless labourer could insist on having land with a suitable cottage built there (Sir James O’Connor, History of Ireland 1798-1924, London, 1971, p. 102). However farmers, who had achieved security and reduced rents under the Land Act 1881, were reluctant to provide accommodation for labourers, even when required by the land courts to do so (Gribbon, ‘Economic and Social History’, in W. E. Vaughan (ed.), A New History of Ireland, p. 277.). In order to avoid having to comply with judicial orders under the Labourers Cottages and Allotments Act 1882 farmers simply evicted the labourers (Donnelly, The Land and People of Nineteenth-Century Cork, p. 241). Farmers also refused to provide sites to the local Boards of Guardians for the construction of new dwellings despite being offered good compensation (Donnelly, The Land and People of Nineteenth-Century Cork, p. 242). Despite the changes that occurred in terms of legislation in the last part of the nineteenth century, the Royal Commission on Labour in 1893 still described labourers’ cottages as ‘utterly wretched cabins unfit for habitation’ (Gribbon, ‘Economic and Social History’, in W. E. Vaughan (ed.), A New History of Ireland, p. 276).

No links. I assume that ideological far left wing anti-nationalist books would have an opinion opposed to small farmers but that is merely you posting books you agree with.

I have tended not to link to evidence about Irish Catholics having little or no political rights, the ownership of land being entirely Aristocratic, the fact that Ireland was run by the UK at the time, since I assume these would be remedial.
    Furthermore - there is zero evidence that an Irish Catholic Parliament would have done anything differently. Certainly the Cumann na nGaedheal government used the entire state appartus to attack striking farm labourers in 1922-1924 (Emmet O'Connor, A Labour History of Ireland 1824-2000, 2011 and Syndicalism in Ireland 1917-1923, 1988) allowing farmers to ride roughshod over the rights and living standards of labourers. The CnanG government also allowed a situation whereby thousands of labourers and their families were forced to live in haybarns and pigsties, charged exhorbitant rents by local farmers, during the building of the Ardnacrusha power station in 1925-26 - while at the same time driving down the wages of labourers on a countrywide basis from 52s a week to 35s a week (Michael McCarthy, How the Shannon Scheme Workers Lived, Old Limerick Journal, Vol. 8, August 1981, p.5-11)

None of this is a famine. The previous link I posted shows the Free State supported the compulsory taking of land. I am beginning to think you cant really read. A statement like "Democracies dont let their people starve" gets "conctracdicted" by some rant about Ard Na Crusha. Do you think that is actual evidence against my claim? A rant about Ard na Crusha has nothing about whether famines occur in democracies. Heres an actual link on that subject

Amertya Sen, democracy and famine.

Yet you yourself claimed yesterday that there was ample food in the country - The price increased because Irish tenant farmers hoarded the food supplies and sold them to forestallers for export - pumping up prices for the local labourers and cottiers (and I have demonstrated this with evidence)

I said

1) There was ample food.
    2) But food was being exported, when ports should have been closed to export.

I also went on to say I didn't care if that meant that the 30+ acre tenants were to see, in the case of export banning, their prices drop. As for linking to "proof" that landlords took either cash, or crops for rent, I will leave the definition of tenancy to the user.

To start with - I argued that it was Irish tenant farmers with 30+ acres that were responsible.

And not one Landlord was responsible , or the British Parliament. Just tenant farmers?
    These tenant farmers did not, in the main, pay rent with crops - but in cash - most had bank accounts. During the famine the landlords complained that the tenant farmers dumped labourers out of work expecting the Landlords and merchants to subsidise their food supplies by overpaying for food and then releasing it to the poor on a limited basis at a reduced price (Limerick Chamber of Commerce minutes 1846)

It doesn't matter what they paid the rent with, the rent went to landlords. The Landlord class owned 90%+ of the the land, and took large rents. If tenants had to then pay that rent, it is that rent - ignored by you - which made people rich. If individual landlords reduced rents, and individual tenant farmers did not pass that on, then that is an individual responsibility, not a systemic responsibility.

In modern terms it would be like ignoring Goldman Sachs, Lehman Brothers and claiming the recent crash was all the responsibility of house buyer.
    Again - read what was posted -
    This does not and should not absolve the Irish tenant farmers and the Irish merchants from their responsibility of exploiting the famine and the despiration of the labourers and cottiers to hike up prices and rake in massive profits. It happened and it was the Irish tenant farmers exploiting the Irish poor to make a quick buck and then crying that it was all the landlords fault.

The feudalistic system was run for the benefit of the top 1%. The tenants who farmed the land of the top 1% had no political rights. Some high level tenant farmers, may, during the famine have had some some complicity with the regime, just as some Jewish Kapos did with the Nazis in the camps, but you are clearly primarily blaming the famine on the Irish. Which is as moral as blaming the starvation in the camps on the Jews..
    Once again - more sweeping statements with absolutely no evidence to back it up - you have produced absolutely nothing to contradict what has been posted in opposition to you and nothing to support your claims. If you are making statements of historical fact then the onus is on you to produce evidence (primary and secondary) to back it up - I have and so have others on this thread - you have not. Now if you want to be taken seriously in this debate, and not just someone engaged in a pro-Irish establishment, anti-British establishment rant, then produce the evidence to back up your claims.

Your "links" aren't links in any sense of the word, and are probably your own particular anti-Irish nationalist reading material, which we could attempt to rebuke if we actually had links.

The major point of difference between us is this:

in a land run by a supremacist and sectarian cabal of Landlords who owned 90%+ of the land, and in an Island run from London, you want to blame a minority of "comfortable" Irish tenant famers who did not own their land or own all their produce,who owned < less than 1% of the acreage of a a mere Baron, and who worked for the landlords, for a "famine' which could easily have been avoided with minor changes in policies by the political class which ran Ireland. And that political class was not the Irish ( no remedial links supplied)

You want to ignore the system, the actual ownership of lands, the workhouses, the decisions made at a macro economic level and spend all your time on a politically impotent group so you can blame the politically impotent Irish for a famine in British run Ireland. Thats vile.

Here is a link to Hansard and the maiden speech of Mr William O'Shea MP a landowner in Co Clare on the 2nd land act.

SECOND READING. ADJOURNED DEBATE ON AMENDMENT ON SECOND READING. [25th June.] (Hansard, 29 June 1880)

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1880/jun/29/second-reading-adjourned-debate-on#S3V0253P0_18800629_HOC_70

Captain O'Shea was also an early advocate of clientism and is an example of an Irish Catholic Landowner.

The debate is worth a read .

I really am begining to get fed up of your nonsense
    It wasn't.

On the formation of the Irish Free State in 1922, the Commission was reconstituted by the Land Law (Commission) Act, 1923,[7] which also dissolved the Congested Districts Board. Provision was made for compulsory purchase of land owned by a non-Irish citizen. Untenanted land could now be compulsorily purchased and divided out to local families; this was applied unevenly across the country, with some large estates surviving if the owners could show that their land was being actively farmed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Land_Commission#D.C3.A1il_decree_1920
    Point No.1 - Wikipedia is not accepted as a source for historical purposes
    Point No.2 - The Land Acts of the nineteenth century pretty much sorted the rights of Irish tenant farmers - all that happened post 1922 was a tidying up exercise.

Once again I have posted full references for the evidence that I have produced.
    No links. I assume that ideological far left wing anti-nationalist books would have an opinion opposed to small farmers but that is merely you posting books you agree with.
    Now - lets be clear about this - with every single argument I have made on this thread I have produced evidence for it (be it primary or secondary sources) and I have posted full references. I have carried out extensive research into the situation of the urban and rural labouring classes over a five year period as part of a PhD thesis using every available primary and secondary source that I could access.

It is an absolute joke to suggest that sources like the Outrage Papers, Chamber of Commerce minutes, Poor Law Commission Reports etc are ideologically left-wing and academics who I have referenced could be considered anything close to what you have described.
    I have tended not to link to evidence about Irish Catholics having little or no political rights, the ownership of land being entirely Aristocratic, the fact that Ireland was run by the UK at the time, since I assume these would be remedial.
    Point No.1 - the rules of the History and Heritage forum state that you must provide reference to material you are citing or claims that you are making - specifically -
    In subjects that generally arise tensions between the forum users (discussing Nationalist or Unionist subjects for example) opinions should be backed up by a verifiable source when possible. The purpose of this is to avoid people who are simply trolling the forum as it should ensure that opinions have a basic foundation in fact. If you cannot provide a source or reason for holding a controversial opinion then it may be better to keep it to yourself as this could be seen as trolling (i.e. controversial opinions are fine but they must be based on a source of some kind).
    Point No.2 - You are either to lazy or are incapable of providing references for your claims - either way your arguments cannot be taken seriously until you do.
    None of this is a famine. The previous link I posted shows the Free State supported the compulsory taking of land. I am beginning to think you cant really read.
    Let's be clear and direct about this - you have not posted one single link or one single reference to a primary or secondary source in any post that you have made on this thread.
    A statement like "Democracies dont let their people starve" gets "conctracdicted" by some rant about Ard Na Crusha. Do you think that is actual evidence against my claim? A rant about Ard na Crusha has nothing about whether famines occur in democracies.
    The points I was making about the farm labourers strikes in 1922-24 and the conditions at Ardnacrusha were directly related to your unsubstantiated claim that an Irish Catholic government would have prevented the famine - my argument was that the Irish Catholic government of Cosgrave acted in exactly the same way against the urban and rural labouring classes as the British government had towards them previously.
    Heres an actual link on that subject

Amertya Sen, democracy and famine.
    This link is to a google search page not to an accepted primary or secondary source and if you actually looked at the links provided you would find academic articles that actually contradict the point you are attempting to make -

like this one -

www.disasterdiplomacy.org/MyhrvoldHanssenBiharFamine.rtf

this one -

http://www.palgrave-journals.com/ejdr/journal/v21/n5/full/ejdr200937a.html

and this one -

http://www.jstor.org/pss/424592

I am afraid you efforts on this must be awarded another fail grade.

I said

1) There was ample food.
    2) But food was being exported, when ports should have been closed to export.

I also went on to say I didn't care if that meant that the 30+ acre tenants were to see, in the case of export banning, their prices drop. As for linking to "proof" that landlords took either cash, or crops for rent, I will leave the definition of tenancy to the user.
    Yet you have not produced one shred of evidence to back up your claims. You merely rant that you are right and I am wrong - I produce evidence - you do not.
    And not one Landlord was responsible , or the British Parliament. Just tenant farmers?
    For the thid time I will re-quote what I have said previously - word for word - try reading it this time -
    the primary responsibility for the death and destruction caused by the famine lies firmly at the door of the British government for the policies adopted before, during and after the famine. The secondary responsibility lies with the landlords who provided the political, social and economic basis for government policy

It doesn't matter what they paid the rent with, the rent went to landlords. The Landlord class owned 90%+ of the the land, and took large rents. If tenants had to then pay that rent, it is that rent - ignored by you - which made people rich. If individual landlords reduced rents, and individual tenant farmers did not pass that on, then that is an individual responsibility, not a systemic responsibility.
    75% of all the rent paid by the landless labourers and cottiers went to the irish tenant farmers. The tenant farmers typically quadrupled the rent they charged labourers on what they paid the landlord.
    In modern terms it would be like ignoring Goldman Sachs, Lehman Brothers and claiming the recent crash was all the responsibility of house buyer.
    Actually a more accurate analogy would be the Irish banks borrowing the money from the ECB at 1% and then charging 4% to Irish mortgage holders.
    The feudalistic system was run for the benefit of the top 1%. The tenants who farmed the land of the top 1% had no political rights.
    Ireland in the nineteenth century was not a feudal society - the prevailing economic policy pursued by the British establishment was mercantilism - and you are incorrect about the numbers entitled to vote - 40s freeholders had an entitlement to vote and this encompassed a section of the Irish tenant farmers
    Some high level tenant farmers, may, during the famine have had some some complicity with the regime, just as some Jewish Kapos did with the Nazis in the camps, but you are clearly primarily blaming the famine on the Irish. Which is as moral as blaming the starvation in the camps on the Jews.
    Your repreated references to the nazis and the Jews is disingenuous and is an attempt to slur those who do not agree with you.
    Your "links" aren't links in any sense of the word, and are probably your own particular anti-Irish nationalist reading material, which we could attempt to rebuke if we actually had links.
    Maybe other posters on this forum can give their opinion of the validity of the links and references that I have provided. You are quite welcome to provide alternative links to your arguments. I would welcome links as you haven't provided a single one so far.
    The major point of difference between us is this:

in a land run by a supremacist and sectarian cabal of Landlords who owned 90%+ of the land, and in an Island run from London, you want to blame a minority of "comfortable" Irish tenant famers who did not own their land or own all their produce,who owned < less than 1% of the acreage of a a mere Baron, and who worked for the landlords, for a "famine' which could easily have been avoided with minor changes in policies by the political class which ran Ireland. And that political class was not the Irish ( no remedial links supplied)

You want to ignore the system, the actual ownership of lands, the workhouses, the decisions made at a macro economic level and spend all your time on a politically impotent group so you can blame the politically impotent Irish for a famine in British run Ireland. Thats vile.
    Can you produce evidence to back up these assertions or are you simply attempting to get some relief by having another rant?

Just to note re the above:
    The forty shilling freeholders in Ireland - mostly Catholics - lost the right to vote with the Catholic Emancipation Act in 1829. It was part of the compromise for 'allowing' Catholics to sit in parliament.

@jrg
    75% of all the rent paid by the landless labourers and cottiers went to the irish tenant farmers. The tenant farmers typically quadrupled the rent they charged labourers on what they paid the landlord.

can you explain landholding etc around the time of the famine.

i am particularly interested in it as never have seen a satisfactory explanation.

numbers etc and the groupings and money flows.

MarchDub wrote: »
    Just to note re the above:
    The forty shilling freeholders in Ireland - mostly Catholics - lost the right to vote with the Catholic Emancipation Act in 1829. It was part of the compromise for 'allowing' Catholics to sit in parliament.
    This is correct - it was a £10 freeholding - and it could be argued that it was O'Connell selling out Catholic 40s freeholders.

This is a list of the £10 freeholders in Kildare in 1835

http://kildare.ie/Library/KildareCollectionsandResearchServices/votersregister/browse-all.asp

The main classification is 'gentleman' (occasionally marked with esq.) and 'farmer'. My ancestors (Catholic tenant farmers) are registered as £10 freeholders in Allenwood on this list.

CDfm wrote: »
    @jrg

can you explain landholding etc around the time of the famine.

i am particularly interested in it as never have seen a satisfactory explanation.

numbers etc and the groupings and money flows.
    I would require a serious analysis of the 1841 and 1851 census figures and unfortunately the complete census records were destroyed during the civil war - so we may never be able to detail the information accurately. The number of farmers, farm servants and labourers do exist and we do know that the famine pretty much wiped out any tenant farmer that held five acres or less - so the number post-famine would indicate tenant farmers with holding of upwards of five acres.

My information is based not on detailed statistical information but on reports of the situation in primary material.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

The franchise issue was complex and tied up with other legislation.

I have a link on the franchise here.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GENIRE/2001-03/0985749302

Advertisement