Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End Irish anthem at GAA matches, demands DUP minister

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

suimhneas wrote: »
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mheyeyidcwql/

what do you all reckon on this? seriously will end up like the rugby where we nearly have a full blown concert before a match. Hands off the GAA

Anything to get his name in the a papers. If he's that bothered why did he go to the match in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Tommy T

Poots never 'demanded' anything. It's a suggestion to encourage more unionists to attend or even take part in GAA activities...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,367 ✭✭✭✭listermint

In Fairness the american anthem wouldnt stop me watching a NFL game. just there for the sport.. not the nationalism or politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭suimhneas

Mick86 wrote: »
    Anything to get his name in the a papers. If he's that bothered why did he go to the match in the first place?

seems terribly stupid what should we change out heritage and culture in case we "offened" anyone? we are irish its our national anthem we didnt ask then to not play god save the queen in croke park. Just get over it already, the anthem shouldn't be his focus at a GAA match the scores and the kicks and the speed the excitement the blood guts and gore any of the above leave our anthem alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

but see unionists dont see like this
    there was no problem in croker when the rugger buggers sang '' god save the queen''

but hey , they seem to be a bunch of narrow minded sheens

(bet there on the croker moment - i sat down listen to some hip hop on me ipod during teh anthem -)

i didnt wrek the stadium like on bloody sunday or like 95 in landsdowne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Some of the ignorance here is laughable.

He didn't demand anything. As has already been pointed out, he said if the GAA wanted to encourage unionists to play GAA games, then they should consider dropping it.

They cannot promote nationalism and then claim they are reaching out to unionists.
    There is nothing wrong with promoting nationalism but its false to pretend that they also want unionists to participate in the GAA.
    And thats before we get to the issue of naming grounds after members of the PIRA. Great way to encourage unionist participation there:rolleyes:

The comparison to GSTQ in croker is not a valid one. That was a match between Ireland and England.

The GAA is a different situation. How many nationalists/republicans would play soccer in NI if every game was preceded by GSTQ? That is a more real comparison to make.

But no, Poots is the bigotted prod, responsible for bloody sunday and the 95 riots. And probably the famine too:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Those guys make it very hard to live and let live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Hagar wrote: »
    Those guys make it very hard to live and let live.

they do indeed.

I presume you are talking about the minister and the GAA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭saoranach

#15 wrote: »
    And thats before we get to the issue of naming grounds after members of the PIRA. Great way to encourage unionist participation there:rolleyes:

Is there many of them?

The GAA and its sports are a part of Irish culture and tradition. Isnt promoting irish culture one of the GAAs aims? If unionists want to appreciate the GAA they will need to do so within that context and part of that culture and tradition is the playing of Amhran na bhFiann.

Should the GAA no longer fly the tricolour either in case it is offensive?

they do indeed.

I presume you are talking about the minister and the GAA
    In the interests of peace I suppose we all have to start thinking like that to some extent but I just wonder what the minister is prepared to forego on his side.

• Advertisement

saoranach wrote: »
    Is there many of them?

The GAA and its sports are a part of Irish culture and tradition. Isnt promoting irish culture one of the GAAs aims? If unionists want to appreciate the GAA they will need to do so within that context and part of that culture and tradition is the playing of Amhran na bhFiann.

Should the GAA no longer fly the tricolour either in case it is offensive?

Thats not what I'm saying.

Promoting Irish culture is fine.

So is promoting nationalism.

But they cannot claim to be inclusive if they remain a nationalist organisation. It is their right to promote nationalism and Irish culture, and to fly the tricolour.
    But they can hardly complain when unionists want no part of it, as the flag and the anthem of this country are (unfortunately) seen as symbols of militant republicanism by unionists.

Unionists cannot ''appreciate'' the GAA in that context, the same way that any republican in NI could not ''appreciate'' soccer or rugby if it promoted unionism, played GSTQ before every match, flew the Union flag and named stadiums after loyalist killers.

In the interests of peace I suppose we all have to start thinking like that to some extent but I just wonder what the minister is prepared to forego on his side.

Well I think the minister has made the first move by attending a match. He has shown he is willing to move forward.
    The process will be one of baby steps, with both sides having to make moves they are uncomfortable with. IMO.

If he went to participate in the atmosphere and the sporting event I'd say that was indeed progress but if he went just to collect ammo for a new fight that's a different matter.

I know it sounds trite, but his attendance is a concession of sorts. How many republicans would attend IFA league matches if GSTQ was played before kick off?

Sport is where bridges should be built and communities created, I love nationalism in international sport (As long as both sides are mature enough to go for a pint together afterwards) but we are not talking about an anthem that unites a community, it (or rather both anthems) is divisive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Whats next?

No Anthem played at GAA matches because we offended the one muslim that was there?
    GSTQ was played before kick off?

Jeez, id go.. i think God Save the Queen is a great aul sing along tune..

C'ommon.. sing with me..

God save our gracious Queen,
    Long live our noble Queen,
    God save the Queen:
    Send her victorious,
    Happy and glorious,
    Long to reign over us:
    God save the Queen

If he went to participate in the atmosphere and the sporting event I'd say that was indeed progress but if he went just to collect ammo for a new fight that's a different matter.

He didnt go to collect ammo.
    He went to the match. He said he enjoyed the game and he said he was there to cheer on his own county. He didnt mention the other issues until he was asked about it. Nor did he demand anything. He was complimentary about the sport, but he mentioned the poltical issues in response to a question about what could be done to increase unionist participation.

That report in the OP makes out he went to the game just to have something to complain about. Which is inaccurate.

snyper wrote: »
    Whats next?

No Anthem played at GAA matches because we offended the one muslim that was there?

Completely inaccurate there.

Would you expect any republican in NI to ''appreciate'' soccer or rugby if it promoted unionism, played GSTQ before every match, flew the Union flag and named stadiums after loyalist killers?

At least make the comparisons reasonable!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

You would swear that we (in our past) invaded the North and colonised it with the republicans that live there now. Piff.

These Unionists have got to realise that they are descendants of colonists and have got to live with it - although it is not their fault, it certainly isn't ours.

Welcome to Ireland. This is our culture, don't like it? Buzz off then.

Irish people by their VAST majority, when they emigrated in the past respected the laws and cultures of the host nation and worked very hard in building those countries. Yes, we did bring our culture with us and blended in well in other nations too - hence our well respect that is widely given to us by those other states.

Completely inaccurate there.

Would you expect any republican in NI to ''appreciate'' soccer or rugby if it promoted unionism, played GSTQ before every match, flew the Union flag and named stadiums after loyalist killers?

At least make the comparisons reasonable!

Well speaking of reasonalbe comparsions, yours is not either.

The GAA, is the national sport here..

Soccer is not

And so we understand where i stand on the issue.. i, in all honesty couldnt give a bollox.

Danno wrote: »
    You would swear that we (in our past) invaded the North and colonised it with the republicans that live there now. Piff.

These Unionists have got to realise that they are descendants of colonists and have got to live with it - although it is not their fault, it certainly isn't ours.

Welcome to Ireland. This is our culture, don't like it? Buzz off then.

No the Gaels got in a few years earlier, so apparently that makes them more legitimate.

All those colonisers are such a nasty crowd. Wait a second, isn't Adams a scottish planter name?

If you insist on looking at history through a black and white lens then you will continue to give inadequate argments such as ''buzz off''.

400 years ago. Planters arrive. Some of their descendants support modern republicanism or nationalism (eg Adams and Hume, both of planter stock). So can they stay?
    But the ones who prefer to remain in the UK can't stay?

Many of those unionists are of more ''native'' Irish stock, which doesn't fit in well with such a black and white version of history.

If a unionist is born on this island they have as much right to live here as you or me. What difference does it make if our ancestors have been here for 200, 400 or 600 years? How is one more legitimate than the other?

• Advertisement

snyper wrote: »
    Well speaking of reasonalbe comparsions, yours is not either.

The GAA, is the national sport here..

Soccer is not

And so we understand where i stand on the issue.. i, in all honesty couldnt give a bollox.

The gaa is not the national sport in NI!

touche

How could it be? NI is not a nation.

Well, its part of the United Kingdom.

The national sports of the UK are Football, Rugby and Cricket, so wel'll have GSTQ before each of those games and Amhran na bhFiann before the GAA matches. After the games, we can all stare at each other over barricades and lob a few petrol bombs at one another.

Or, both sides could make a few concessions, embarce the other side of the community and maybe an Ulster team could rival the Munster teams for success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Tommy T

The Grab All Association have every right to play the Anthem before their shirt pulling and stick fighting matches... I hope my prejudices aren't showing too much...;)

Or, both sides could make a few concessions,
    That's the key to it Fred. I think someone along the line has to make a concession before it's asked for. If both sides can't figure out what's getting up the other side's nose and do something about it before they are forced into it then things will never get better. It has to be both sides though.

That's the key to it Fred. I think someone along the line has to make a concession before it's asked for. If both sides can't figure out what's getting up the other side's nose and do something about it before they are forced into it then things will never get better. It has to be both sides though.

Nail on the head mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

I have lived in 3 other countries (2 in Europe , also Canada).

This was a fairly minor GAA match.
    In my (international) experience it is not common practice to play national athems for such minor games.
    Why the insistence of national anthems on minor occasions....it suggests a lack of personal confidence and also insecurity.

A national anthem should be used for a NATIONAL occasion.

• Advertisement

dewsbury wrote: »
    A national anthem should be used for a NATIONAL occasion.

or at the end of the night in the nightclubs :rolleyes: like they used to do 15 years ago... :D

..or still in the west of Ireland.

Advertisement