Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,187 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I did something you cannot do, I accepted I was wrong on him suing The Village, he has ruled it out after taking advice on what he percieved as demfamation.

Again, that is more fake news.

"He said lawyers had advised him “that suing them would be like suing somebody on Twitter.”"

In effect, he wouldn't even be able to get his legal costs back.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Again, that is more fake news.

"He said lawyers had advised him “that suing them would be like suing somebody on Twitter.”"

In effect, he wouldn't even be able to get his legal costs back.

That cmment came later.

This is what I was referring to, you'll see the key words his percieved 'defamation' and that he was taking legal advice on that.
    However, Mr Varadkar has dismissed a report in Village Magazine concerning his time as Taoiseach as being “both inaccurate and grossly defamatory”.

He said he has sought legal advice on the content of the article, which alleged he had broken laws in providing a copy of a revised general practitioner contract to the then head of a GP union, the NAGP, in April 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

That cmment came later.

This is what I was referring to, you'll see the key words his percieved 'defamation' and that he was taking legal advice on that.

I think the difficulty for Varadkar is that the truth is an absolute defense to Libel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I think the difficulty for Varadkar is that the truth is an absolute defense to Libel.

Always read to me like he couldn't sue because he lied, passed the confidential document to a pal to try garner support/votes. However if he made noises in that direction he can use it to compound his lie. 'I could sue, if I wanted'...sure, but he'd never any intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The only way he could sue is if he visits in person, falls on their premises and does a Maria Bailey on it. There won't be any legal action :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Qwertyminger

smurgen wrote: »
    The only way he could sue is if he visits in person, falls on their premises and does a Maria Bailey on it. There won't be any legal action :D
    They won't have him in there because there are confidential documents around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

golfball37 wrote: »
    Are they still investigating the attack on Leo during the summer ? I would have expected an update by now.

Little chance of a YFG member I mean a random member of the public getting a dawn raid, for an obvious staged "attack" after the mess they made of the Paul Murphy episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,052 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

McMurphy wrote: »
    Little chance of a YFG member I mean a random member of the public getting a dawn raid, for an obvious staged "attack" after the mess they made of the Paul Murphy episode.

Dead right to ensure Murphy couldnt organise a crowd of sit down dudes and dudesses armed with mobile phones to ensure his ‘episode ‘ got maximum publicity and problems for the Gardai with the media well tipped off in advance.

Randal I’m very surprised your naivety is beginning to be so obvious.

Do you seriously think the rozzers would let that happen after Boy Blue ran riot with the bullhorns out in Jobbo?

Did the right thing to get Murphy in irons long before the citizen army turned over for the second time:D

Pity they couldn’t go the whole way, it’s widely said.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Dead right to ensure Murphy couldnt organise a crowd of sit down dudes and dudesses armed with mobile phones to ensure his ‘episode ‘ got maximum publicity and problems for the Gardai with the media well tipped off in advance.

Do you seriously think the rozzers would let that happen after Boy Blue ran riot with the bullhorns out in Jobbo?

Did the right thing to get Murphy in irons long before the citizen army turned over for the second time:D

Yep, secret police, tis wider said. Get the job done in the dark. ;)

He didn't need any of that auld shyte Brenner, sure did you not keep up with events? Twas all over the news at the time.

Murphy and his pals were all found not guilty, by a judge who remarked that the Gards evidence was all very similar, and coincidentally wasn't even true.

He even had to tell the jury to ignore the cops verbal evidence and rely on the video evidence shown in court instead.

"Maximum publicity"?

All the money in the world couldn't buy the publicity they afforded him. :D

• Advertisement

He didn't need any of that shyte Brenner, sure did you not keep up with events? Twas all over the news at the time.

Murphy and his pals were all found not guilty, by a judge who remarked that the Gardais evidence was all very similar, and coincidentally wasn't true. He even had to tell the jury to ignore the cops evidence and rely instead on the video evidence in court.

"Maximum publicity"?

tbh In hindsight several senior garda and DPP heads should have rolled over bringing that farce to court

tbh several senior garda and DPP heads should have rolled over bringing that farce to court

Was there any perjury cases arose from it?

That was an actual affront to democracy, the states police force should not be conspiring to try to wrongly convict an opposition (or govt) politician with false evidence.

It's like something you'd read about in an African tinpot dictatorship FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Are you sanctioning state killing of opposition?

He didn't need any of that auld shyte Brenner, sure did you not keep up with events? Twas all over the news at the time.

Murphy and his pals were all found not guilty, by a judge who remarked that the Gards evidence was all very similar, and coincidentally wasn't even true.

He even had to tell the jury to ignore the cops evidence and rely instead on the video evidence in court.

"Maximum publicity"?

Murphy agus a cairde were found not guilty of false imprisonment. That doesn’t mean that their actions that day were in any way acceptable. He goaded a feral mob to do his bidding ala Donald Trump.

Murphy agus a cairde were found not guilty of false imprisonment. That doesn’t mean that their actions that day were in any way acceptable. He goaded a feral mob to do his bidding ala Donald Trump.

So the Gardai and DPP failed yet again in what they charged him with and he went to trial on?

They couldn't even get the right charges when they conspired unsuccessfully to frame him?

I know you think you're defending the gombeens who tried to frame him Maryanne, and it's cute, it really is. But all you're continuously doing is highlighting the ineptitude that goes on in the connected circle. You're doing more harm than good. I'd Quit if I were you, cos you're not particularly doing a good job at it.. :D

So the Gardai and DPP failed yet again in what they charged him with and he went to trial on?

They couldn't even get the right charges when they conspired unsuccessfully to frame him?

I know you think you're defending the gombeens who tried to frame him Maryanne, and it's cute, it really is. But all you're continuously doing is highlighting the ineptitude that goes on in the connected circle. You're doing more harm than good. I'd Quit if I were you, cos you're not particularly doing a good job at it.. :D

The fact that you’re excusing his and the mobs actions on that awful day, says a lot about you. Why am I not surprised.

The fact that you’re excusing his and the mobs actions on that awful day, says a lot about you. Why am I not surprised.

I'll take living in a state where a few lads inconvening a politician over a state where politicians and the police connive to try and frame a rival politician, all day every day.

What was your opinion on the judge telling the jurors to ignore the gards evidence Mary? You never did give an opinion on that by the way?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Again, 'the mob' didn't invite him. He turned up. He didn't tell them to keep her trapped there. That was made up by Garda who swore in court to something didn't happen. No goading. Let's not mistake the wrong made up story with what actually happened.

I'll take living in a state where a few lads inconvening a politician over a state where politicians and the police connive to try and frame a rival politician, all day every day.

What was your opinion on the judge telling the jurors to ignore the gards evidence Mary? You never did give an opinion on that by the way?.

Did I not? You mustn’t have been active on Boards during the Jobstown threads.

Did I not? You mustn’t have been active on Boards during the Jobstown threads.

Has it changed from then, or are you just not prepared to tell us?

• Advertisement

Has it changed from then, or are you just not prepared to tell us?

It hasn’t changed. The verdict was the right one. Doesn’t mean that the actions of the feral mob were right. Paul Murphy sat behind Ms Burtons car, thereby preventing its safe passage. The sound of that baying mob was very frightening. An elected representative suggesting Ms Burton would find sanctuary in the church, beyond sickening. But, that’s just my humble opinion.

It hasn’t changed.

I didn't ask your opinion on "baying mobs" nor the outcome of the case, and so therefore the rest of your post is irrelevant.

I asked what your opinion was that a judge had to comment on how a number of the guards had suspiciously similar written evidence, especially suspicious as it wasn't even correct based on video evidence that contradicted it.

With that in mind, the judge had no option left but to instruct the jurors to ignore the cops evidence and instead rely on the video evidence instead.

Surely unprecedented in the history of the state.

That is what I asked your opinion on Maryanne, can you please let me know about that.

I didn't ask your opinion on "baying mobs" nor the outcome of the case, and so therefore the rest of your post is irrelevant.

I asked what your opinion was that a judge had to comment on how a number of the guards had suspiciously similar written evidence, especially suspicious as it wasn't even correct based on video evidence that contradicted it.

With that in mind, the judge had no option left but to instruct the jurors to ignore the cops evidence and instead rely on the video evidence instead.

That is what I asked your opinion on Maryanne, can you please let me know about that.

I remember having interactions with posters at the time and they kept trying to get me to say what they wanted to hear. It didn’t work then and it won’t work now.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

It hasn’t changed. The verdict was the right one. Doesn’t mean that the actions of the feral mob were right. Paul Murphy sat behind Ms Burtons car, thereby preventing its safe passage. The sound of that baying mob was very frightening. An elected representative suggesting Ms Burton would find sanctuary in the church, beyond sickening. But, that’s just my humble opinion.

Stop!!

Were discussing Leo lying to the Dail!!

Stop!!

We’ll talk to the dude who swung the thread over to this subject.

It wasn’t Mary.

Stop!!

Talk to the hand.....

He needs to step down. His criminality is disruptive and a distraction to the challenges facing the country.

smurgen wrote: »
    He needs to step down. His criminality is disruptive and a distraction to the challenges facing the country.

Criminality..!.....what criminality?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

Anything that Denies Nature and Natural is criminal.

• Advertisement

There ya go Brendi.

https://twitter.com/VillageMagIRE/status/1351719982586015751?s=19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement