Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Scotty # wrote: »
    The first ad, on the first ad break, in both the live show and the Sunday repeat, is €78,000. The second ad is €56,000. I don't know how much subsequent ads are. Promotions during the show (one for everyone in the audience!) are €10k each. Then you also have the RTE player ads for the toy show.

I'm sure I read somewhere that all in all the Toy Show is worth about €3.5m to RTE (which would actually cover the entire payroll for the TOP 10 presenters in one night).

I'm sure I read somewhere that all in all the Toy Show is worth about €3.5m to RTE (which would actually cover the entire payroll for the TOP 10 presenters budget for children's/young peoples content in one night)

I'm sure I read somewhere that all in all the Toy Show is worth about €3.5m to RTE (which would actually cover the entirety entire payroll for the TOP 10 presenters RTÉ's independent Drama and Comedy commissions in one night)

I'm sure I read somewhere that all in all the Toy Show is worth about €3.5m to RTE (which would actually cover the almost all entire payroll for the TOP 10 presenters of 2019's special events in one night).

Sorry fixed your post there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I wouldn't fully agree. If Joe Duffy went to Q102 tomorrow he'd bring a large portion of listeners (and advertisers) with him. And if you got some unknow in to replace him I'm not sure the format would still work. It's a bit naïve to think the presenter adds no value.

I can't imagine it's Duffy rather than the format of the program that is the draw. And then there's the people who's radios never leave radio 1.

I wouldn't fully agree. If Joe Duffy went to Q102 tomorrow he'd bring a large portion of listeners (and advertisers) with him. And if you got some unknow in to replace him I'm not sure the format would still work. It's a bit naïve to think the presenter adds no value.

Scotty how did that work out for Pat Kenny and Newstalk.

First Q102 is local to Dublin so only Dublin listers would move, second Radio 1 has a loyal audience. 4fm/classic hits would be a better fit TBH.

I am sure Pat Kenny is worth the increase in audience that Newstalk made, but that was Newstalk's plan, Pat's probably not worth as much 10 years, in terms of continue to increase audiences for the station but would most likely be worth it to retain an audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

fritzelly wrote: »
    A monkey could be hosting the Toy Show and it would still get advertising - nothing to do with the incompetent host

Now, that's an idea for this years Toy Show....

Problem being, RTE would probably then hire the monkey and give it a quarter of a million euro salary.

Yes, but they bring in no revenue, so it's funded entirely from the licence fee.

The big presenters bring in ad revenue, and therefor are not funded by the licence fee.

You have to consider Scotty that presenters should think they are entitle to vast wages just because the bring in an audience. There has to be a benchmark. RTÉ commercially are losing audience and revenue. TAM Ireland reported an increase for TV revenue in 2019, RTÉ2 lost an audience that year.

RTÉ are defending just one area of spend that should be making them a profit if they believe honestly in it, the same goes for 2FM.

You can always say that its JUST 1% of the budget there are many things in RTÉ's public service budget that is JUST 1%, for example Special Events, Children's Content and Independent Drama and Comedy and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

McGaggs wrote: »
    I can't imagine it's Duffy rather than the format of the program that is the draw. And then there's the people who's radios never leave radio 1.
    Yea I don't know either. I'd imagine if he were to move though he'd bring some with him, not all... just some. Maybe if he left ratings would go up? I don't know. But I do believe that presenters, especially the ones that have risen to the top of their field, add value. Obviously they do or they couldn't demand the salaries they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭McFly85

The presenters salaries have little to do with the problems within RTE. They're a small amount of the overall budget, not paid for through the license fee and are generally cheap when it comes to that type of job(look at PKs newstalk salary).

RTEs problems lie moreso in the boardroom. Chronically bad budget management, near complete resistance to change, outdated infrastructure and poor overall content creation. I have gone streaming only over the last 2 years so the only time I've interacted with RTE would be the odd time on the website and some attempts to use the RTE player for sport. There has literally been no new content in that time that I would have missed.

IMO its in dire need of a complete shake up. They could save tons of money by doing away with the outdated TV license inspector model and trying to collect it with other utility bills(primarily the digital providers but I understand that wouldn't be everyone including myself), and anyway I think they need to look at advertising as their primary source of income. License fee should only cover the culturally essential areas(orchestra, news, Irish language programming). And then if they want to increase their ad revenue, they'll just have to make better programming. Who knows, they might even be able to sell these shows overseas to make extra revenue.

Elmo wrote: »
    First Q102 is local to Dublin so only Dublin listers would move...
    Oh it was just an example. First name that popped into my head.

McFly85 wrote: »
    The presenters salaries have little to do with the problems within RTE. They're a small amount of the overall budget, not paid for through the license fee and are generally cheap when it comes to that type of job(look at PKs newstalk salary).

Did PKs move make much of a difference to RTÉ Radio 1's audience. He remains the most paid RTÉ presenter since 2002, Newstalk only started broadcasting in 2002, and it only went national in 2006.

RT spend 5 years at 2FM following the death of GR, he was unable to make an impact on the channel, before RTÉ moved him back to Radio 1. It took them 5 years to realize that their top earner could not gain an audience on another radio station, a station he first started on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭McFly85

Did PKs move make much of a difference to RTÉ Radio 1's audience. He remains the most paid RTÉ presenter since 2002, Newstalk only started broadcasting in 2002, and it only went national in 2006.

RT spend 5 years at 2FM following the death of GR, he was unable to make an impact on the channel, before RTÉ moved him back to Radio 1. It took them 5 years to realize that their top earner could not gain an audience on another radio station, a station he first started on!

I think it's beside the point, really. Could RTE save money on presenters salaries while retaining ad revenue and listenership? Yes, most likely. Will that solve the issues with RTEs budget? Absolutely not. Without a complete overhaul, we could have presenters on zero salary and we'll still hear Dee complaining about lost license fee revenue and about how its terrible and RTE is amazing value etc.

• Advertisement

McFly85 wrote: »
    I think it's beside the point, really. Could RTE save money on presenters salaries while retaining ad revenue and listenership? Yes, most likely. Will that solve the issues with RTEs budget? Absolutely not. Without a complete overhaul, we could have presenters on zero salary and we'll still hear Dee complaining about lost license fee revenue and about how its terrible and RTE is amazing value etc.

I agree. Dee and her executive board seem to think that they are providing a good service. That they have largely retained the service as it is even though there budget was cut in 2008 and that management at RTÉ have done an excellent job keeping the show on the road, and if only they could get more from the licence fee they would be better capably of keeping the show on the road along with a surplus at the end of the year. Imagine RTÉ could provide what it is currently providing but if they got 50 million extra they'd have a profit of 43million, and isn't that the most important part of RTÉ, not quality content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Now, that's an idea for this years Toy Show....

Problem being, RTE would probably then hire the monkey and give it a quarter of a million euro salary.

Where would they get such an animal I wonder...

[IMG][/img]kelly-talent.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ Braylen Harsh Cave

RTE seem to find the concept of "living within your means" as alien.

I understand the big presenters bring in more advertising, but when the organsiation as a whole is losing millions, costs (and wages) should reflect that.

Is it not scandalous that a public/semi-state body, is losing millions annually even though they have a relatively large revenue coming in?? And then to be pay obscene wages on top of that?? Absolutely mental stuff.

And to top it off, i assume most if the big earners are paying **** all tax as they set up as contractors!

Is it not scandalous that a public/semi-state body, is losing millions annually even though they have a relatively large revenue coming in?? And then to be pay obscene wages on top of that?? Absolutely mental stuff.
    RTE took in more than it spent both last year and the year before. The 'losses' were incurred due to the depreciation and amortisation of assets and the hosting of special events that as a public service, they are obliged to cover.

Their deficit last year was less than 2.5% of gross revenue. They're not exactly losing money hand over fist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Are you forgetting all the extra money they get when they go begging to the government?

https://www.newstalk.com/news/government-announces-e50-million-extra-funding-rte-five-years-936110

They are losing money hand over fist and not doing a damn thing about it

RTE took in more than it spent both last year and the year before. The 'losses' were incurred due to the depreciation and amortisation of assets and the hosting of special events that as a public service, they are obliged to cover.

Their deficit last year was less than 2.5% of gross revenue. They're not exactly losing money hand over fist.

Special events? Which ones?

Special events? Which ones?
    Last year, local and European elections, Rugby world cup. 2018, - the Popes visit, presidential election and the FIFA World Cup.

I doubt every special event loses money but as a whole, they are a liability.

Last year, local and European elections, Rugby world cup. 2018, - the Popes visit, presidential election and the FIFA World Cup.

Yeah all those things happening were a shock to everyone - some advance notice would have been nice

Wonder how much they lost on the Pope visit when everyone one and their dog knew it wasn't gonne be a John Paul event except RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Yeah all those things happening were a shock to everyone - some advance notice would have been nice

Wonder how much they lost on the Pope visit when everyone one and their dog knew it wasn't gonne be a John Paul event except RTE

Literal empty streets.

It went down far better than Leo's 'Love the Black and Tans' commemoration would have... but not much.
    Apparently Pope Francis was none too happy.

RTE is so mired in nostalgia, right now... (everything from paying Ray D'arcy almost half a million euro to host The Den) that it shows you how clearly out of touch they are with the demands of modern Irish audiences.

They could go back to being a one channel broadcaster, and nobody would notice. It's not like anyone watches RTE2 anymore.

There's an RTE2 still?

Didn't used to be that bad when it was Net2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

There's an RTE2 still?

Didn't used to be that bad when it was Net2

It's honestly useless. What's even more frustrating is how it was once a great place to test out talent.
    If the fell flat on their face, no harm done-cut your losses and move on to the next emerging talent.
    Easy as pie, sorted.

There's no testing ground anymore. New talent havent' a hope of getting hired. Instead it's who you know, or who you're related to.
    Or open diversity hires, who don't have 'it'.

• Scotty # wrote: »

I'm going to disagree there. An awful lot of people tune into RTE radio one at one pm to get the news. The radio news program is superior to the TV version. Liveline happens to come next and people continue to listen. I really don't see a large portion of people tuning into joe at 1.45 on a different station. liveline, same time different presenter(Marian Finucane) brought in similar figures as currently but was quite a different show.

Tomorrow, Munster v Leinster in a rugby friendly. Basically half the Irish squad pitted against the other half. Where's it being shown? Eircom Sport 1, with highlights shown later on TG4.

With a general absence of sport on at the moment, RTE has I think Little Women on instead.

Tomorrow evening Eircom will be getting my money, and my share of the ad consumption.

I'm going to disagree there. An awful lot of people tune into RTE radio one at one pm to get the news. The radio news program is superior to the TV version. Liveline happens to come next and people continue to listen. I really don't see a large portion of people tuning into joe at 1.45 on a different station. liveline, same time different presenter(Marian Finucane) brought in similar figures as currently but was quite a different show.

Totally true - when Katie filled in for Joe while doing his death series it was some of the best episodes of LL
    Going on two weeks now JD has been obsessed with the mother and babies homes because he wants to cover it completely ignoring the essence of the show.
    An incompetent presenter who can barely speak, uses Google while broadcasting to make himself look intelligent and whose hatred of certain elements, parties etc shines thru very evidently in the show. How many times has RTE been sued because of things he has said...

They could go back to being a one channel broadcaster, and nobody would notice. It's not like anyone watches RTE2 anymore.
    Please, for the purpose of debate, can we please use facts and not just made up gibberish?

RTE 2 is the 3rd most watched channel in Ireland after RTE 1 and Virgin 1 and that includes UK & Sky channels.

RTE account for 25% of ALL TV watched in Ireland.

Can't tell if you're trying to make a point or just posting nonsense?

OK. I was just giving an example. I've never actually listened to Liveline. But the I still think presenters add a value. Replace Joe with some unknown amateur for a couple of weeks and see how the figures go.

OK. I was just giving an example. I've never actually listened to Liveline. But the I still think presenters add a value. Replace Joe with some unknown amateur for a couple of weeks and see how the figures go.

Change the topic for a couple of weeks and numbers will go up. Its been two weeks of the mother and baby homes and even regular listeners like my self have switched off.

Bring on an unknown presenter and a different topic, maybe make the programme more about current topics and lots of listeners would return.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭bigroad

No need to get anymore amateurs.

• Advertisement

RTÉ were late in publishing there annual report. It was the year before last.

They are accounted for in every sub genre on page 109 of the annual report. News for example saw a cut in funding.

Irish government have largely stayed the course since 1981, with elections ever 4 to 5 years. RWC happen every 4 year RTÉ do not have to buy this special event with virgin media television, eir and TG4 all having some or all rights in the past.

Special events are just 1% of RTÉ over all budget and to put that in context...

Advertisement