Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Kuon.jpg

Thank you Mr Douglas! He was keeping my game disc safe in his briefcase. I'll never be able to watch this scene the same way again :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Doge wrote: »
    That reminds me of something odd back in the day.
    My friend bought Micro Machines Turbo Tournament '96 presumably new from the shop (possibly in Game) and that's the version that had a construction kit for making your own tracks.

There was a user built track on it despite being sold as new and wait for it...

It was titled "Sheep Shaggers". :pac:

I reckon it was either returned or one of the staff had a go at it before putting it back on the shelf!
    Worked in a shop that sold games back in the 90s , it wasnt unheard of us staff to hang back for an hour or two after work to 'test' games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Doge wrote: »
    539798.jpg

Was it Ciderman who worked in GamesWorld in Liffey street back when they had columns and columns of used ps1's traded in behind the counter?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Was it Ciderman who worked in GamesWorld in Liffey street back when they had columns and columns of used ps1's traded in behind the counter?

I don't remember that many, to be honest.
    I can remember stacks and stacks of Playstations and, later, PS2s and how unbelievably quick they were sold through.
    But the former was also had Saturn's and N64s, while the PS2s had the company of Xboxes and GameCubes!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They finally did it. Those crazy son's of bitches finally did it.

They made the perfect rom hack, something you didn't think you needed in your life but now your life is empty if you don't play it:

https://marlowedobbe.itch.io/fegilmoregirls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I haven't watched Gilmore Girls yet but I loved The Marvelous Mrs Maisel so it's on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

540632.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

Amazon know me too well....

540821.png

Also one of the most pointless in app notifications as they dont sell any ps3 games or consoles that are new!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Anybody got an FGPA Mister yet? They look so cool. I'd like to be able to have something I can swap between my CRT and my flatscreen in the living room. Haven't quite got my head around the configuration you need to run console games yet however looks like it's in the region of 300 euro with a case?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Anybody got an FGPA Mister yet? They look so cool. I'd like to be able to have something I can swap between my CRT and my flatscreen in the living room. Haven't quite got my head around the configuration you need to run console games yet however looks like it's in the region of 300 euro with a case?

I'd like to pick one up myself, for use on a crt. Prob wont get to it until god knows when, but they're impressive (the 15khz rgb out seals the deal). I see the PS1 core is making some good progress, but that said, beetle has me spoiled with subjective improvements like texture correction etc. Vanilla PS1 is a little bit fugly for me nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I've got one, I can't remember what it all added up to as I assembled mine piecemeal.

If you don't care about analogue video output, you *just* need the DE10 Nano FPGA dev board, a memory expansion, sd card (a 10GB one comes with the DE10) and maybe some sort of cooling for the ARM/FPGA chip. You can add the analogue board later.

One thing about the analogue boards is that it also adds a port that looks like a USB port, but actually supports low latency adapters for original controllers.

There's some nice acrylic cases on misterfpga.co.uk - I've got one.

After that... It's a slippery slope.

I'm using mine with the analogue board as I mainly want to use it in an arcade cabinet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Inviere wrote: »
    Vanilla PS1 is a little bit fugly for me nowadays.

The best thing about Beetle for me is how well it does fugly PS1. 320x240, texture warping, dithering, polygon clipping. :pac:

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The best thing about Beetle for me is how well it does fugly PS1. 320x240, texture warping, dithering, polygon clipping. :pac:

I remember being absolutely blown away when I first got the PS1 on release, it was pure "the future is now" stuff. Wipeout, Destruction Derby, Loaded, the damn Dino Demo....

I know it paved the way, & was a beast of a machine in its day, but good lord its shortcomings are laid bare today :o

Different strokes for different folks but I need all those imperfections of it just doesn't feel like a ps1 game.

The n64 on the other hand. That ant aliasing blur filter can **** right off. It just makes everything so ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Framerate is the big killer for me. I can handle all of the janky graphics in the world, but as long as you give me 30fps or thereabouts my brain will adjust and it'll be enjoyable. Was playing Wipeout recently and it's locked to 30fps, still feels great gameplay wise.

When old janky 3D games start dropping frames though, I just can't anymore. Things like Goldeneye on original hardware are absolutely beyond painful.

Have to agree, frame rate is a deal breaker. And sometimes its hard coded into the game code so no way past it.

Different strokes for different folks but I need all those imperfections of it just doesn't feel like a ps1 game.

The n64 on the other hand. That ant aliasing blur filter can **** right off. It just makes everything so ugly.

I get what you mean, but for me, those imperfections are only a result of the R&D budget for the console itself....Once freed of those limitations, the games might not feel like ps1 games, but they certain can look and play a lot better. They're just enhancements regardless, and can be turned off if you want to see walls warp, twist and jump around your screen :)

The N64 blur I see in a similar vein, once freed of it, the games simply look and feel better.

Frame rate is the big one though, with 30 being for me the absolute minimum acceptable. Anything less that 30, particularly when the devs are pushing silly resolutions, is a deal breaker. I still laugh today seeing the ps4 and xsx trying to push silly resolutions while the game is literally chugging along....even Nintendo, once bastions of glorious 60fps, are succumbing to resolution over frame rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

I've got one, I can't remember what it all added up to as I assembled mine piecemeal.

If you don't care about analogue video output, you *just* need the DE10 Nano FPGA dev board, a memory expansion, sd card (a 10GB one comes with the DE10) and maybe some sort of cooling for the ARM/FPGA chip. You can add the analogue board later.

One thing about the analogue boards is that it also adds a port that looks like a USB port, but actually supports low latency adapters for original controllers.

There's some nice acrylic cases on misterfpga.co.uk - I've got one.

After that... It's a slippery slope.

I'm using mine with the analogue board as I mainly want to use it in an arcade cabinet.

Yep it's about as cheap as you want to make it, with the biggest layout just for the DE10. After that its what you want to setup to be able to achieve.
    FWIW, I dont think there's much point in not getting the memory expansion, if you want the full NeoGeo experience (and possible future use), and obviously the analogue IO board would be a minimum requirement if considering CRT (most suppliers will add in a fan solution for a bit extra).
    Then there's the other options that Colonel Panic mentioned such as the LL adapters, a USB hub, peripherals such as WiFi, Bluetooth, jamma etc.......it all adds up TBH, and it becomes not an inconsiderable investment, but at least it doesn't need everything at once and you can take your time with assembly.
    When I got mine, I was able to secure theDE10 for probably 50 bucks less than usual so saved a bit, but back then the European market for the addins wasn't as on the ball and had to pickup stuff from the US. Havent totaled it all up in my head, but 300 sounds on the low side especially upgrading the memory.

I think some suppliers are selling all in one kits nowadays which would give you an idea of how much its going to cost, but it could end up cheaper sourcing your own stuff, plus there was a small community on the likes of Amibay and Atari Forum selling addins (not sure how popular that market is nowadays though)

https://misterfpga.co.uk/ UK
    https://ultimatemister.com/ EU
    https://misteraddons.com/ US

That said, it's a fun project, especially after coming for the original MiST project, and its especially vibrant with new cores, new implementations across a wide range of computers, consoles and arcades. I actually don't have it hooked up to the CRT at the moment, rather splitting it across a modern TV and outputting VGA to a BenQ multisync that supports 15KHz for the Amiga cores etc, but there is a convenience to being able to jump from, say a near perfect simulation of Kung Fu Master arcade, into a C64, back out to an Amiga, over for some MegaCD and so on.......all within a few keystrokes once setup.
    Treated mine to an aluminium heatsink case over the Xmas and it actually looks like a production device now, with the added benefit of not needing the fan installed due to its build. Had to get that from the US though which was yet another expense, but again, its not needed.......you could leave the boards out on the desk, stick it in an Amiga case whatever you want.

Neil, over on RMC done a great two-parter a while back on building his dream MiSTer which is well worth a look, but first port of call should be the MiSTer wiki which can probably answer a lot more questions for you.
    https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Kind of pointless at this stage(the lag would be the main issue), but maybe they can develop it into something decent over time. Definitely not work paying for on top of the normal PLEX pass or lifetime fee.

^^ seen that, & was initially curious. After watching the video though, it's a bit of a pass. I do often crave a game of something while watching tv in other rooms, & do wonder why LaunchBox haven't developed some kind of client side app that can stream from the main app elsewhere on the network.

The lag with the above though, no thanks. Input latency completely ruins the experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Inviere wrote: »
    ^^ seen that, & was initially curious. After watching the video though, it's a bit of a pass. I do often crave a game of something while watching tv in other rooms, & do wonder why LaunchBox haven't developed some kind of client side app that can stream from the main app elsewhere on the network.

The lag with the above though, no thanks. Input latency completely ruins the experience.

If they included it for free with the plex pass then maybe it'd be something the average person might get a kick out of. But yeah that's some serious lag there.
    But honestly they need to focus on the video side of Plex rather than these things. There's quite a few things that need updating in that rather than these little side projects they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I'm a big fan of Plex (lifetime subscriber and all that) but this Arcade offering is either a cheap cash-in or a internal fan project that needs a lot more work.

Would be nice if Retroarch had a client/server streaming capability baked in..

Would be nice if Retroarch had a client/server streaming capability baked in..

Agreed, would really be a nice addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

This is also working well for me
    https://www.antstream.com/

Legit streaming of Arcade/SNES/C64/Spectrum/Amiga games.

Its free for a year. I have the app on phone, firestick and PC

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

eddhorse wrote: »
    This is also working well for me
    https://www.antstream.com/

Legit streaming of Arcade/SNES/C64/Spectrum/Amiga games.

Its free for a year. I have the app on phone, firestick and PC

Amazed that's still going. Such a niche market, and they've made such a little dent in social media. Dead man walking i think, but free is free.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Modern games via streaming is one thing, the games today have input latency factored in (as a result of display tech changing etc)....but streaming retro games? Can you imagine trying to play something like Mega Man via streaming? A hard pass for me....

The only way I'd be interested would be over my local network

Anyone get the turrican collection? It's nice to relive these games. There's a rumour they are holding back content for a physical release.... A limited run physical release. I'd be very pissed off if they did.

Emulation seems good. They managed to get a fudge workaround to get them running at 60h but required a lot of messing about in the code.

One annoying thing is that it's the amiga versions and not the c63 ones. Maybe it's because I grew up with them but the c64 versions I find much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Anyone get the turrican collection? It's nice to relive these games. There's a rumour they are holding back content for a physical release.... A limited run physical release. I'd be very pissed off if they did.

Emulation seems good. They managed to get a fudge workaround to get them running at 60h but required a lot of messing about in the code.

One annoying thing is that it's the amiga versions and not the c63 ones. Maybe it's because I grew up with them but the c64 versions I find much better.

Turrican has been available on Strictly Limited Games for a while, the physical versions were announced alongside the digital.

https://store.strictlylimitedgames.com/collections/turrican

Turrican has been available on Strictly Limited Games for a while, the physical versions were announced alongside the digital.

https://store.strictlylimitedgames.com/collections/turrican

Hopefully they aren't arseholes and release vol 2 digitally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Retr0gamer wrote:

Ordered turrican flashback for the switch on Friday.. Not the anthology but happy enough for the price, 23 euro delivered

Advertisement