Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

POTW 551: 5/12/20 - 11/12/20

• 08-01-2021 1:58pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭

THIS WEEK'S POTW GOES JOINTLY TO:

sryanbruen
    HKxllUS.jpg

&

Mike Litoris
    50702963853_342af1cd37_c.jpg

HONOURABLE MENTIONS

pigeonhouse
    50705112633_c579993cbd_c.jpg

keps
    50682895053_b027406dce_c.jpg

NEW WAVE
    7HDrRYn.jpg

humberklog
    50696334881_8fe9535e43.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS sryanbruen and Mike Litoris
    Any information on the winning shots would be appreciated.

WELL DONE HMs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

@humberklog I'd thank that 10 times if I could :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Thank you very much :)

My image was taken on 6th December 2020. It was an unusual day with freezing fog persisting in Dublin for a good bit of the day. However, this meant that if you got a bit of elevation, you were above the fog and it was what we call an inversion with the temperature rising up the higher you got which is the "inverse" of what you expect on an average day. Rare enough to see that here.

Conditions were ideal for some epic photographs to be taken and I had seen many, some that were contenders for photo of the year in my opinion. I was unable to make the most of these brilliant conditions but I just about made my way out to Howth Summit quickly during sunset, the closest hill I have with a good view out on the fog. It was a surreal experience driving above the fog, had never seen it before in person.

The day was quickly descending and I had to use higher ISO than I would like so that the details of the fog would not be smoothed out for a lot of the photos. However, the shot I posted was with only a ISO-200, a 1 second exposure and f/11 to get good details on the landscape. It was with a standard 18-55mm lens @ 36mm. The low ISO and fairly low aperture meant my foreground was a bit dark and needed to be rectified in post production with noise reduction and the exposure cranked up with a graduated filter. I did not use bracketing or HDR techniques.

Love fog and mist for images. Can't wait to get to experience something similar sometime in the future and hopefully make even more of the conditions. Once more thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Great pictures. Well done all round.

Advertisement