Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virtual Reality General Discussion / Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

glic83 wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply, yeah think I will give it a miss for now and revisit it at a later stage who knows what will be available then, might get him a switch instead, I'm sure he'd still enjoy that, and upgrade the PC in a few months too.

Yeah I'd say 10 might be a bit young considering you do need to take pretty good care of the thing (don't let light into the lenses etc)

But then again he did ask for it... curious how kids are finding out about it? Must be some YouTube influencers pushing it to kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

mrcheez wrote: »
    Yeah I'd say 10 might be a bit young considering you do need to take pretty good care of the thing (don't let light into the lenses etc)

But then again he did ask for it... curious how kids are finding out about it? Must be some YouTube influencers pushing it to kids?

One of he's friends in class has a quest 1, so he's aware of it from there and he only mentioned it recently, now his friend is around 11, one of the older kids in the class my son would be one of the youngest in the class. It's also possible that some YouTuber is pushing it but generally he'd show me the video like last night how he wanted to show me some video of Subnautica - sub zero.

One of he's friends in class has a quest 1, so he's aware of it from there and he only mentioned it recently, now his friend is around 11, one of the older kids in the class my son would be one of the youngest in the class. It's also possible that some YouTuber is pushing it but generally he'd show me the video like last night how he wanted to show me some video of Subnautica - sub zero.

I mean, if it's what he asked for, would he not be disappointed in not getting it?

It's a superb device, but even better if playing with his friends as some multi player games are great for kids (like Rec Room which is free).

He'll need a Facebook account though, so something to bear in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

I mean, if it's what he asked for, would he not be disappointed in not getting it?

It's a superb device, but even better if playing with his friends as some multi player games are great for kids (like Rec Room which is free).

He'll need a Facebook account though, so something to bear in mind.

It wasn't on the official Santa list, so should be fine, it was more a case of I already know what I want for Christmas next year, so he will be ok, would have got it if I thought it was age appropriate as he hasn't asked for much TBF, he did mention it he could be would add it to let for this year but it's too late ,just feel he's too young for it at the minute and I don't know enough about it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

After a bit of pleading I let my 10yo nephew have a short trial of my Rift CV1 (fully supervised and nerve-wracking from my point of view) and the fit itself wasn't really suitable for his smaller head. How that compares to the Quest I'm not sure but general safety and awareness of surroundings while in VR could also be an issue (eye strain may be a greater problem for younger eyes too).

In any case the likes of Subnautica would need to be tethered to a suitably powered PC/laptop.

• Advertisement

It wasn't on the official Santa list, so should be fine, it was more a case of I already know what I want for Christmas next year, so he will be ok, would have got it if I thought it was age appropriate as he hasn't asked for much TBF, he did mention it he could be would add it to let for this year but it's too late ,just feel he's too young for it at the minute and I don't know enough about it myself.

Ah fair enough, if it's not a "must have" then yeah might be better to wait till the 12s upwards.

If you want more Quest-specific responses, it might be better posting a question on the Quest thread as there are likely more people who might be familiar with letting kids use it: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057964784

This thread is not viewed that much by the Quest/PSVR crowd afaik.. more the old-timers who got into VR back in the early days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

EMU VR our favourite VR emulation environment just received a netplay update!

I have yet to see the simulated CRT goodness in higher resolution since I upgraded to the Oculus Quest 2. Must give it a go soon.

Was playing Beat Saber again this evening on my Rift S hooked up to my 2015 Asus g751jy laptop and it runs fine.. Smooth and no drops. There are very few laptops from that year that can run it. The original Rift required a powered usb 3 hub with this laptop and it was a bit of a ball ache in general.

Think I'll be into this again for the next few months. Suggest any games ye feel like that would run on lower quality hardware. Games more like SuperHot than Alyx.

Was playing Beat Saber again this evening on my Rift S hooked up to my 2015 Asus g751jy laptop and it runs fine.. Smooth and no drops. There are very few laptops from that year that can run it. The original Rift required a powered usb 3 hub with this laptop and it was a bit of a ball ache in general.

Think I'll be into this again for the next few months. Suggest any games ye feel like that would run on lower quality hardware. Games more like SuperHot than Alyx.

In Death is superb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Damien360

Bought a HTC vive second hand for Christmas for the young lad. Unfortunately today we discovered that the left hand pad is not working right and looses tracking.

I am wondering if anyone has a damaged system with one working track pad that I could buy off you. Or I’ll buy both track pads off you. Don’t need the headset or base stations.

There is a few on adverts but I’ll try here first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Rumours that Apple are releasing a headset.
    Anytime Apple get involved in anything mass adoption follows.

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-glasses-ar-vr-headsets-these-are-the-latest-leaks-and-rumors/

kerplun k wrote: »
    Rumours that Apple are releasing a headset.
    Anytime Apple get involved in anything mass adoption follows.

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-glasses-ar-vr-headsets-these-are-the-latest-leaks-and-rumors/

yeah I'm excited where the whole AR/VR glasses thing is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

NASA Livestreaming space walk on the ISS now.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3tVWmP0CMc (space walk live)!

Kinda cool how well it's replicated in VR - still my fav VR experiences!!
    https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1246744618768922/?locale=en_US
    https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1178419975552187/?locale=en_US

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

thinking of upgrading from my oculus cv1, what is the obvious upgrade? dont want to spend htc money so thinking maybe the oculus quest 2

thinking of upgrading from my oculus cv1, what is the obvious upgrade? dont want to spend htc money so thinking maybe the oculus quest 2

Yeah it's a great upgrade. You get no SDE and can play all your games wirelessly (using Virtual Desktop).

Just be aware of the Facebook requirement.

Surprised how cheap the Rift is these days, last I checked these were close to €1,000
    So which is the best option these days, primarily for gaming? My preference would be to go wireless with the quest 2, but I don't know if it can play the same games as the rift? Is there any need for the 256gb option? 64gb sounds very poor, but I'm guessing its mostly streaming and the 64gb is good enough for installing apps and games locally?

Edit: I see they are stopping the Rift S and focussing on the Quest lineup. I guess that answers my question!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Yep, Quest 2 is the way to go. Yer definitely in for a treat compared to when things were close to €1000!

I think 64gb is grand, I wouldn't normally keep a full roster of things installed at any given time, there are a few core things that I'd keep at 4/5gb each. But depends on how much you plan on using it!

quest 2 can be attached to a pc for full graphical fidelity correct?

What's involved in setting up a facebook account for it? Can I give myself a dummy name or do they look for some Id? What about a mobile number is that required? Do you have to keep the account active in order to prevent it being banned? Bollix this is a big problem for me, I've never had a Facebook account in my life.

Whats the HTC equivalent to the quest 2? Do they have the same games?

quest 2 can be attached to a pc for full graphical fidelity correct?

Yes it can be attached via a cable, but you can get just as good (sometimes even better as less latency) going the Virtual Desktop method with a good router.

I play all my Rift games using the Quest 2 now and my wired Rift has been gathering dust.

Graphic quality is incredible. I was playing Asgard's Wrath last week and it blew me away.
    Mr Grumble wrote: »
    What's involved in setting up a facebook account for it? Can I give myself a dummy name or do they look for some Id? What about a mobile number is that required? Do you have to keep the account active in order to prevent it being banned? Bollix this is a big problem for me, I've never had a Facebook account in my life.

Whats the HTC equivalent to the quest 2? Do they have the same games?

The Quest 2 is really on its own when it comes to wireless. If you want wireless you gotta go with Facebook unfortunately.

I have a fake account which I created years ago and it's been fine... but if you are going to create one, make sure you do it well in advance of buying the Quest 2, and add a few posts or friend some people. Make sure to add a photo from https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/

You don't need to use it regularly... I just pop on once every 2 weeks or so to reply to my sister (who is my only "Friend" on it)

• Advertisement

Is there any need for the 256gb option? 64gb sounds very poor, but I'm guessing its mostly streaming and the 64gb is good enough for installing apps and games locally?

Newer games are coming up to the 6-8GB mark so take that as an indication of how it might go in future.

On a 64GB you have 50GB of storage space so if you buy 8 x 6GB games you're full up... but bear in mind many games are only 2GB.

I'm currently using 90GB on my one and this is mainly sideloaded content and a video.

Sideloaded games like Doom 3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein are great fun on this.

Yes it can be attached via a cable, but you can get just as good (sometimes even better as less latency) going the Virtual Desktop method with a good router.

I play all my Rift games using the Quest 2 now and my wired Rift has been gathering dust.

Graphic quality is incredible. I was playing Asgard's Wrath last week and it blew me away.

The Quest 2 is really on its own when it comes to wireless. If you want wireless you gotta go with Facebook unfortunately.

I have a fake account which I created years ago and it's been fine... but if you are going to create one, make sure you do it well in advance of buying the Quest 2, and add a few posts or friend some people. Make sure to add a photo from https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/

You don't need to use it regularly... I just pop on once every 2 weeks or so to reply to my sister (who is my only "Friend" on it)

Would I need a burner sim or is an email address enough? So all they are going to get out of me is my location and that I like to play games? Pretty much the same as Microsoft get out of me on the xbox.

Would I need a burner sim or is an email address enough? So all they are going to get out of me is my location and that I like to play games? Pretty much the same as Microsoft get out of me on the xbox.

To be honest I'm not sure what's required when setting up a new Facebook account nowadays.

Maybe post a question in the Quest superthread.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Damien360 wrote: »
    Bought a HTC vive second hand for Christmas for the young lad. Unfortunately today we discovered that the left hand pad is not working right and looses tracking.

I am wondering if anyone has a damaged system with one working track pad that I could buy off you. Or I’ll buy both track pads off you. Don’t need the headset or base stations.

There is a few on adverts but I’ll try here first.

If its the same issue I had ,its not too hard to fix.
    Theres a few videos out there
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jxzn8E2E1s

What are the must play games now for oculus/PC, loving the quest 2 compared to cv1, such a versatile headset when you have a gaming PC as well.

What are the must play games now for oculus/PC, loving the quest 2 compared to cv1, such a versatile headset when you have a gaming PC as well.

Must play games native to Quest, or native to PC?

Must play games native to Quest, or native to PC?

either really, sidequest as well. Hyperdash is amazing btw

either really, sidequest as well. Hyperdash is amazing btw

I mean there are sh1tloads... kinda like asking the must-play games on Steam :)

What sort of games are you into? What sort of VR experience are you looking for?

I mean there are sh1tloads... kinda like asking the must-play games on Steam :)

What sort of games are you into? What sort of VR experience are you looking for?

well i love pavlov, hyper dash, beat saber, saint and sinners, vrchat with friends is good craic, asgards wrath, I guess i probably played most of the "must play games up until around 2019 so im guess has anything noteworthy come out bar half life.

just tried creed rise to glory (holy hell thats a workout)

two close friend of mine now have headsets so bonus points for fun multiplayer games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

well i love pavlov, hyper dash, beat saber, saint and sinners, vrchat with friends is good craic, asgards wrath, I guess i probably played most of the "must play games up until around 2019 so im guess has anything noteworthy come out bar half life.

just tried creed rise to glory (holy hell thats a workout)

two close friend of mine now have headsets so bonus points for fun multiplayer games.

With the lockdown I've been spending a fair amount of time on Vrchat . Mostly good craic , but there's an awful influx of kids at the moment due to the quest being cheap enough to be a Christmas present , and also a youtuber unleashing a load of his squeaker fans at it . They're not too hard to block or avoid .

Advertisement