Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyber certification

• 27-10-2020 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all, I am looking at doing a general cyber risk/security certifications. The gold standard seem to be CISSP, Certified Information Systems Security Professional. Is anyone familiar with the CCRO, Certified Cyber Risk Officer? Is it possible a good entry or starting point. https://community.icttf.org/certified-cyber-risk-officer/

Comments

What sort of work do you hope to do or what area of Information Security do you hope to work in on foot of this course?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 agibbons

I currently work in software development and have a degree in Computer Applications. The hope is to get a better appreciation of cyber security and risk. In time the area of penetrative/vulnerability testing is of interest.

agibbons wrote: »
    I currently work in software development and have a degree in Computer Applications. The hope is to get a better appreciation of cyber security and risk. In time the area of penetrative/vulnerability testing is of interest.

My first advice is to stop using the phrase "cyber security". Most people who work in it dispise the term.

CompTIA Security+ might be a good first start.

Before choosing an actual course I would recommend the following books, especially if you have a long term goal of going down the Pen Testing route:

Hacking: The Art of Exploitation
    The Hacker Playbook
    The Web App Hackers Handbook.

When it comes to Web App Hacking/Pen Testing, one of the most common tools is called BurpSuite, the free version has been recently augmented with lots of new functionality. Also the company behind BurpSuite, PortSwigger have got free labs via their website to learn and demonstrate various Web App vulnerabilities. Going through those might really enhance your current role as a developer as well as put you on the road to Pen Testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I suggest Security+ also. I never heard of CCRO and I doubt most HR/hiring people will either.

Advertisement