Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quest or Rift S

Options
  • 08-07-2020 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

So I'm looking at giving VR a go, going to be setting it up in an attic room but don't really want the hassle of base stations and cables running all over the place hence the quest v rift s decision. What would people recommend my pc will run the rift s no problem, but slot of reviews I see are recommending the quest over the rift s. Also I'll be buying second hand if that makes any difference?

Pc spec is 7700k running at 4.9GHz
    Rtx 2080
    16gb of ram and plenty of storage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Quest PC support is only in beta AFAIK, although it's meant to be pretty good. The ability to run wirelessly very much appeals to me but I haven't made the change from the CV1.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I personally find the wireless aspect of Quest trumps everything ... play all your PCVR games through Virtual Desktop and you're flying.

No need for Link really.

Rift S is supposed to be marginally sharper visuals-wise, and a bit more comfortable, but it's possible to get comfort-attachments for the Quest.

That damned wire will always be a pain. It depends on how much movement you plan on doing in your attic though. If you won't be moving around too much then maybe the Rift S is all you need.

There are no base stations required for Rift S, just the headset and the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Note... Oculus seem to spend most of their time working on updates for Quest, rather than Rift S, like hand tracking etc.

Many people on reddit are a little ticked off with this... Rift S seems to be the unloved child.

It also has some occasional issues with USB connections.

Advertisement