Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patchy Ceiling

• 14-08-2020 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I have been doing a few rooms in the house over the last month or so.
    Yesterday I started the kitchen. It's a reasonable size, Two rooms knocked into one, so the ceiling is about 25m2 or so.

I started painting after work about 6pm and it was very hot, even with the windows and doors open.
    From the start I could see that it was very difficult to keep a wet edge on the roller marks, it was like the paint was drying as it was going on.

I was working by myself so cutting in maybe half the ceiling then rolling that section.

Knew from, the start that it wasn't looking great, thought maybe it was just the way it was dryinig.
    No luck, it looks $hite this morning, lines, patches, it looks like it only had one coat.
    Will another coat fix this, perhaps wait til its a bit cooler before doing it again.

The paint & materials are the same as I used on the other rooms, they turned out ok. Maybe the room is too big for an amateur?

Any help appreciated,
    Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

How many hours did you let it dry before you applied the second coat?

Humidity definitely has an impact and if you look at the tin it will most likely warn against painting in damp, humidity or temperatures below 10c conditions.

I'd put a third coat up tonight or tomorrow. Unless the cutting in looks iffy I wouldn't cut in again just concentrate on the main body of the ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Doolittle51

Do all the cutting in first, but might be no need to do it again if the edges look ok now?
    I find that you need to work quickly when painting ceilings and don't be shy with the paint. I painted a similar size ceiling in about 20 minutes. Keep lashing up the paint as quick as you can to maintain that wet edge!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭theunforgiven

Hi,
    I gave it about 2 hours between coats. The first coat was bone dry, it was that warm out. Even after the first coat it looked very patchy.

It was very humid last night and I am hoping that's what the cause was. As I said, very hard to keep the paint wet, it seemed to dry as it was going on.

I will give it another coat later today, my missus wants to get the walls done herself today when I am in work so I might just mask the edges of the walls and cut in the ceiling and roll it again in a day or so.

If I used a small 4 inch roller on the edges of the walls/ceiling would that help the cutting in from drying quickly?

Perhaps I should dilute the paint with water a small bit and do 2 more light coats?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I've just finished decorating myself.

I used a combination of brush and roller for cutting in. Even the 4"roller I found it tough not to get paint on the walls,so the brush was used right at the edges.

I'd also be careful with masking tap as it can lift off freshly painted paint.

The tin of ceiling paint is still on the table here and says touch dry 2 hrs second coat 4. So I think part of the problem was the first layer wasn't fully dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

OP, what brand paint were you using?

• Advertisement

Hi,
    Johnstones, brilliant white, matt.

It was absolutely boiling hot when I did the painting so it seems that was it. I did another coat yesterday morning and it seems ok today, absolutely loaded the roller to the hilt just in case, ut had no trouble this time with it drying out.

It was the only ceiling I had trouble with so I am putting it down to the heat...and me not probably loading the roller enough in the conditions.

Thanks for the help all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

Hi,
    Johnstones, brilliant white, matt.

It was absolutely boiling hot when I did the painting so it seems that was it. I did another coat yesterday morning and it seems ok today, absolutely loaded the roller to the hilt just in case, ut had no trouble this time with it drying out.

It was the only ceiling I had trouble with so I am putting it down to the heat...and me not probably loading the roller enough in the conditions.

Thanks for the help all.

In future, steer clear of that brand. It’s crap. Stick to colourtrend if you can. You’d be amazed at the difference in terms of application ease and overall finish. I’d take dulux or fleetwood over Johnstones too, in a heartbeat.

dodzy wrote: »
    In future, steer clear of that brand. It’s crap. Stick to colourtrend if you can. You’d be amazed at the difference in terms of application ease and overall finish. I’d take dulux or fleetwood over Johnstones too, in a heartbeat.

Thank you, will know for next time.
    Appreciate your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

If your house is oldish it could have nicotine or open fire smoke stains.
    The old fashioned remedy was sugar soap.
    Nicotine will almost always leech through fresh paint.

Advertisement