Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New development of houses and apartments

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

Sometimes the developer will hold back houses to get a better price for them when the development is finished.
    If the houses are overlooked by apartments then they will be less desirable to sell if the demand isn't there at the beginning.
    He/she can get a better price after the other houses are occupied and the feedback is good on the development.

The issue is he is holding back apartments for an unknown reason, not the houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Wouidnt trust a word from any of them ! Would you not buy in established development ?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Wouidnt trust a word from any of them ! Would you not buy in established development ?

At the moment the only nice looking homes (at least for us) are new builds. Cannot find any decent size that doesn't need a ton of work

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭StoptheClocks

At the moment the only nice looking homes (at least for us) are new builds. Cannot find any decent size that doesn't need a ton of work

I also came to this conclusion. Bought in a new build at the start of the year. It has houses over looked with apartments. One of the blocks has been finished and empty since I moved in. I've heard that it going to be for assisted living for retired people that live on their own. Not sure if this is true as you couldn't believe the word of developer/EA's.
    It just strange to see a finished empty apartment block (over 8 months) and there is a housing crisis. Someone is paying the interest on the bank loans that built those apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭stinkbomb

You know most social housing these days is housing associations, right? Not council housing, or homeless accomodation etc. And the people who live in social housing are generally perfectly nice, normal people, the majority of them with jobs and lives just like yours? They aren't bogeymen who will destroy your house prices and eat your children.

Most new build estates have social and council housing scattered in, and you generally can't tell who is owner occupied and who is renting from a HA or the council. Why are people scared of them, just because they don't earn enough to buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

stinkbomb wrote: »
    You know most social housing these days is housing associations, right? Not council housing, or homeless accomodation etc. And the people who live in social housing are generally perfectly nice, normal people, the majority of them with jobs and lives just like yours? They aren't bogeymen who will destroy your house prices and eat your children.

Most new build estates have social and council housing scattered in, and you generally can't tell who is owner occupied and who is renting from a HA or the council. Why are people scared of them, just because they don't earn enough to buy?

People are scared to buy because all it takes is a few scumbag families to ruin an area. Doesn't matter how many social houses are normal people, the handful that are knackers will cause issues for everyone around them and they don't fit in with the rest of the residents in the area.

My mam is on HAP, she worked until she became ill. She lives in what used to be a quiet estate in a nice area until a few undesirable families moved in. Now there's kids damaging cars, parents threatening other residents and wonderful visitors threatening them.

I live in a new estate. Residents are having issues with the apartment block which is mostly social. They're the only ones blaring music, shouting or stealing people's assigned parking. I've seen the Gardai have been there numerous times when driving past. Someone there is known to Gardai and has been making rounds breaking into cars in the area.

I had to call Gardai on my own neighbors because they were screaming at each other for over two hours. It only stopped when Gardai arrived. They scream at each other every 2-3 days anyway but only this was at 2am and I was trying to sleep I wouldn't have called.

You wouldn't notice the normal people who are getting housing because they keep to themselves and don't cause issues.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    People are scared to buy because all it takes is a few scumbag families to ruin an area. Doesn't matter how many social houses are normal people, the handful that are knackers will cause issues for everyone around them and they don't fit in with the rest of the residents in the area.

My mam is on HAP, she worked until she became ill. She lives in what used to be a quiet estate in a nice area until a few undesirable families moved in. Now there's kids damaging cars, parents threatening other residents and wonderful visitors threatening them. Didn't see anyone getting arrested there until they showed up.

I live in a new estate. Residents are having issues with the apartment block which is mostly social. They're the only ones blaring music, shouting or stealing people's assigned parking. I've seen the Gardai have been there numerous times when driving past and I've seen groups of dodgy looking people outside who look like they belong at a methadone clinic.

A resident at one of the duplexes is known to Gardai and has been making rounds breaking into cars in the area. I hear they're in the process of being evicted. She even attacked someone with a weapon.

I had to call Gardai on my own neighbors because they were screaming at each other for over two hours. It only stopped when Gardai arrived. They scream at each other every 2-3 days anyway but only this was at 2am and I was trying to sleep I wouldn't have called.

You wouldn't notice the normal people who are getting housing because they keep to themselves and don't cause issues.

This, this is exactly why we are worried. I live in an area with social housing now and there are minimal issues. Having said that, it only takes a couple of undesirable families to ruin an area. In my own experience, this has been more likely to happen in areas with social housing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

I would not buy in a development where there is one OMC, and houses and apartments. The chance of conflict between house and apartment owners is too high.

jd wrote: »
    I would not buy in a development where there is one OMC, and houses and apartments. The chance of conflict between house and apartment owners is too high.

I’ve been told that the management company is for the apartments only, so at least that’s less of a worry. My solicitor will clear that up for me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

jd wrote: »

Not necessarily. The main thing would to be sure that fees are allocated relative to services received eg houses don't pay for cleaning of internal hallways leading to the apartments. I wish that was how ours worked, but it isn't. Our houses and apartments get on ok, I've been a director from the start and there's never been tension or conflict as you suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭stinkbomb

Scumbag families also own houses. My worst ever neighbours were owner occupiers who complained about renters moving in but it was them who were incredibly noisy and who had a drug dealing teenager living with them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Stay well away from anywhere you will have council tenants beside. Yeah most will be quiet enough but if you get a bad one, the council will do nothing and let the problem fester for years while you suffer away while paying a big mortgage.

This social mixing they are doing at the minute will only make the lives of hardworking people who pay for their properties harder. It won't do anything to upgrade the behaviour of Darren and Jacinta. You can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear. Run don't walk away at the smell of council involvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

acer911 wrote: »
    This was obviously pre-agreed and fully sold to council? What the OP is concerned about here is buying a 700k plus house in an estate that will end up with 50% or more council housing.

Hard to know what way it will play out, on one hand you would think that it would damage the builders reputation if it did happen but the guaranteed income could make it a real possibility.
    Houses were originally on the open market and then pulled rather sharpish.

Advertisement