Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spacex first human launch 27th May

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

Irish Coast Guard are on standby in case any ocean rescue is required

Doug and Bob getting suited and booted:

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So this is the first launch of a new American spacecraft since the shuttle with the first one being Alan Shepard in mercury, then Gemini, then Apollo, then the shuttle, and now spaceX.

I've seen people say that Skylab should be included and while yes Skylab was a separate vehicle it used a Saturn V second stage and was accessed using a Apollo CSM so it wasn't a new vehicle imo

Boeing are also part of future plans.

Late 2020Atlas 5 • CST-100 Starliner Crew Flight Test
    Launch window: TBD
    Launch site: SLC-41, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida

A United Launch Alliance Atlas 5 rocket will launch Boeing’s CST-100 Starliner spacecraft on its first mission with astronauts, known as the Crew Test Flight, to the International Space Station. The capsule will dock with the space station, then return to Earth to landing in the Western United States. Boeing astronaut Chris Ferguson and NASA astronauts Mike Fincke and Nicole Mann will fly on the Crew Flight Test. The rocket will fly in a vehicle configuration with two solid rocket boosters and a dual-engine Centaur upper stage. Delayed from August and 1st Quarter of 2020. Delayed from mid-2020 after Boeing decision to refly the Orbital Flight Test. [April 13]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Will you need binoculars to see it? Which direction should you look?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Doug and Bob getting suited and booted:

love the wellies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,633 ✭✭✭✭josip

MattS1 wrote: »
    Will you need binoculars to see it? Which direction should you look?

Hopefully not, South.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113564348&postcount=25

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

josip wrote: »

My reading of it is just to the right of the moon.
    Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

fryup wrote: »
    love the wellies :D

They are in case they decide to go for a flight to the Moon lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,976 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Still on for 9:33pm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

40% chance at the moment

Update on the webcast says weather looking okay but still watching it closely.

The interior of the Dragon looks very slick and futuristic. Big difference from shuttle which had a load of buttons and switches.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Yep. Latest is weather improving

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It's an instantaneous launch window. If it doesn't happen tonight at 21.33 then the next launch window is Saturday evening at around 20.45.

Then Sunday half an hour earlier. I'm at work so hoping for delay to Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I thought I heard someone say today that there would be a second orbit passing over Ireland at 10.50 ish. Is this true or is our only chance around 10 o clock? Bit confused but definitely don't want to miss this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

If i wanted to see this from North Limerick City, what direction am i looking?

Niece & Nephew really want to try and see it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    If i wanted to see this from North Limerick City, what direction am i looking?

Niece & Nephew really want to try and see it

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Loving the stormtrooper space suits :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Is it on tv?

How do you know where to look in the sky later , was gonna bring kids out to watch. Can you see with naked eye?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Some high cloud over Galway Bay but there are some gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Drumpot wrote: »
    Is it on tv?

How do you know where to look in the sky later , was gonna bring kids out to watch. Can you see with naked eye?

If you go into youtube and search spacex there's about 20 live channels showing it.as for normal tv i doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

listermint wrote: »
    Here

a lot of people wont know what that means. im guessing looking west and heading south east. but i cant read that to understand how high in the sky to be looking when it comes into view.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Skies clear here in Galway and it looks like the launch is going ahead.

Trying to decide whether to wait the extra few minutes after the launch and go outside with my 4 year old and try to spot this thing in the southerly skies (someone said to the right of the moon)?

I dont want to have her up too late if it wont be possible to see the first pass.

So I look south direction and it should be moving west to east? Will it be close to the horizon or up higher? Will it look smaller than a commercial flight? Will it have a trail or just be like a tiny white pair of dots?

Trying to figure out will other houses be in the way even though we're quite high up.

Thanks for any tips! My daughter is 4 and a half and waiting for me to wake her at 930 :)

"Astronomy Ireland is predicting that at 9:53pm the world's first privately built space craft will cross Irish skies, just below the Moon, 20 minutes after being launched from Florida."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

so exciting, its a long time since I watched a manned space launch

It'll be reasonably high up. From Galway look about halfway up the sky between the southern horizon and straight overhead moving from the west to the east. It'll be tricky to spot at about 21.54 due to twilight sky. If you do see it you should spot 2 objects close together: the Dragon with Bob and Doug and the used second stage just behind.

Im not being smart here but if you want to know exactly where the moon is theres an app called sky map in play store.its cloudy where i am and i had to use it.
    Hopefully its clear in 68 minutes time

By the way its very straight above us so i doubt houses will get in the way.hope that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Im not being smart here but if you want to know exactly where the moon is theres an app called sky map in play store.its cloudy where i am and i had to use it.
    Hopefully its clear in 68 minutes time

By the way its very straight above us so i doubt houses will get in the way.hope that makes sense.

So we should look towards the moon to see it?

• Advertisement

MattS1 wrote: »
    So we should look towards the moon to see it?

That's what they are saying.look just below the moon.im no expert but im going on what I'm reading.

Advertisement