Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US Open 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I am not near sure. 50-50 match for me.....

Love to see them finally meet at Flushing Meadows. I don't think they have ever played each other there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

walshb wrote: »
    I am not near sure. 50-50 match for me.....

Love t0 see them finally met at Flushing Meadows. I don't think they have ever played each other there...
    Would also love to see them play at USO - only slam they have never faced off at, a bit mad that they have never done so really.
    I thought Fed looked really poor in opening rounds but is playing great stuff now. Nadal was playing average/above average until last night, in Sets 3 & 4, he was outstanding. Long way to go yet so would also have it 50/50

Would also love to see them play at USO - only slam they have never faced off at, a bit mad that they have never done so really.
    I thought Fed looked really poor in opening rounds but is playing great stuff now. Nadal was playing average/above average until last night, in Sets 3 & 4, he was outstanding. Long way to go yet so would also have it 50/50

True....even the recent matches (more the the slams) Fed has won away from clay were all hard fought wins. OZ 2017 was razor close (best predictor here I guess, as it's a hard court). SW19 just gone was a bit clearer, but a few moments here and there in these type matches can completely change the winner and loser

I think if Fed moves fast and well he has an excellent chance.

• Site Banned Posts: 41 thesiegeof

I think Fed could win this. It's him or Nadal. Why can't the others step up?

thesiegeof wrote: »
    I think Fed could win this. It's him or Nadal. Why can't the others step up?

There just isn't the real 'one' in an era type talent...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 41 thesiegeof

walshb wrote: »
    There just isn't the real 'one' in an era type talent...

I could be wrong but apart from Murray and Stan, there's only 2 other players who've won grand slams since 2005 apart from the big 3! Cilic and Del Potro I think. That's crazy. 7 players in total and 3 of them have won 47 between them. It looks like it's going to be 3 years since anyone else apart from the big 3 won one. And they're all ageing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The big three have won 54 of them.

Safin in Australia 05 was the last to win below the ones you've mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Gaston Gaudio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Delighted to see Medvedev beat Stan. It's a pity the former didn't meet a fit Novak in the quarter as that would have been a belter

Med is revelling in the role of the villain this week. Great to see. Wouldn't shock me one ounce if he took out Fed aswell

Chivito550 wrote: »

Gaston Gaudio

Gaudio won the French in 04, not 05.

Got confused by the point poster was making earlier. The 47 figure is post-2005.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Medvedev is running on fumes now with all the matches and that leg strapped up. Even if he makes the final Nadal would rip him a new asshole.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Looking forward to seeing how Medvedev fares in the semi-final. I am not sure that his injury will hamper him too much as he was still able to play quite well despite it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Bad news for Fed. Medical time out called at the start of the 5th.

****ing Dimitrov not knowing his place.

jr86 wrote: »
    Delighted to see Medvedev beat Stan. It's a pity the former didn't meet a fit Novak in the quarter as that would have been a belter

Med is revelling in the role of the villain this week. Great to see. Wouldn't shock me one ounce if he took out Fed aswell

Woops - sorry for doubting you Grigor :)

Fed's very poor recent US Open record continues.

It's there for Nadal now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

How much longer will Federer go after this? 1 more year.
    Rafa will win and be on 19. He'll have passed him out by this time next year. I want to see Rafa win Australia again, then he'll have won all 4 at least twice.

I think Rafa's chance to grab a second Australian may have passed. 2014 vs Stan and 2017 vs Fed is where it should/could have happened. Can't see him ever being Djokovic there.

On the 2017 note, Dimitrov gave Nadal an almighty scare in the semi. I wouldn't rule him out here just yet.

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    How much longer will Federer go after this? 1 more year.
    Rafa will win and be on 19. He'll have passed him out by this time next year. I want to see Rafa win Australia again, then he'll have won all 4 at least twice.

Federer will probably still go on a while yet. In fairness only 2 months ago he had two championship points in a major

His US Open form has been very mixed though. Since 2011 he's lost to Berdych, Robredo, Cilic, Del Potro, Millman and Dimitrov. He'll be very disappointed with his return here this decade

That said I don't see him winning another slam overall. I expect both Nadal and Djokovic to surpass him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'd say the service game where he saved 7 break points in the 4th seemed to do for his back. Even though he had a chance to break back to go even in 10th game, he couldn't see it out. He seemed to have problems turning in the backhand. Sad to see it end like that, I think he'd have had a good shout against Nadal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Would have liked to see Fed go further, but he was outplayed on the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

I hope Serena and Nadal lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Serena 2-0 up. Svitolina had break points and game points in both games but couldn't take them. Serena is hammering svitolinas second serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Floppybits

3-0 now. Serena on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Floppybits wrote: »
    3-0 now. Serena on fire.

She is playing very well ,moving well today .
    She was like an old woman in that Wimbledon final against Halep ,couldnt move at all.

Can anyone explain to me why this match is on first ,seems idiotic scheduling.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

She is playing very well ,moving well today .
    She was like an old woman in that Wimbledon final against Halep ,couldnt move at all.

Can anyone explain to me why this match is on first ,seems idiotic scheduling.

Really? Bencic-Andreescu always had potential to be the better match.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Andreescu at times does look knackered, but having watched her this week she is really clutch as her awesome record when it goes to three sets proves.

She won't have any fear of Serena whatsoever, I give her a big chance of winning that. Serena lets not forget has a poor record in Slam finals recently. :)

764dak wrote: »
    I hope Serena and Nadal lose.

Ha - Nadal will drop what maybe 20 games in total between the semi and the final?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

It will be fun in a few years time when Nadal continues to get stronger and stronger and stronger, muscles and sweat pumping off him - when the media FINALLY starts to ask questions ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

It will be fun in a few years time when Nadal continues to get stronger and stronger and stronger, muscles and sweat pumping off him - when the media FINALLY starts to ask questions ...
    Will the same media be asking questions of Federer when he is in his early forties and reaching finals?

• Advertisement

Eh, you need to start watching Nadal more. He’s getting weaker and weaker and weaker... as is Roger. Problem isn’t Nadal, it’s the lack of real serious challenges from younger men..

Advertisement