Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Curve - what’s it all about then

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Amouar wrote: »
    I tried to use Curve today in Google Pay in Aldi for a total of more than 50 Euros but the transaction was didn't go through. Are you able to do Google pay transactions of over 50 Euros when using Curve linked to AvantCard?

I've used Curve, in Google pay, linked to avantcard, in Aldi, at least 3 times for amounts well over €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Amouar

Gpay transaction declined again in Tesco. Do I have to order a physical Curve Card and use it first before contactless works?

Amouar wrote: »
    Gpay transaction declined again in Tesco. Do I have to order a physical Curve Card and use it first before contactless works?

I believe Tesco apply a €50 limit to Google pay transactions.

McGaggs wrote: »
    I believe Tesco apply a €50 limit to Google pay transactions.

My transaction was for 10 Euros.

Anybody knows what's the fastest way to reach out to Curve Customer service? They don't seem to offer live chat and the only option appears to open a ticket which I did and still pending a reply for several days.

I just received a reply from Curve and they told me that the Gpay transactions were declined because Avant did authorize the transaction.

I will call Avant now to see why this is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Thinking of getting Curve. Is it still recommended? A lot of negative reviews on the Play Store.

I've signed up anyway to see what it's like. My credit card has, correctly been added as Euro but Revolut has been added as Sterling.

Should I change this to Euro? Also on Amazon, I presume my Curve card should be set as Sterling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Wheety wrote: »
    Thinking of getting Curve. Is it still recommended? A lot of negative reviews on the Play Store.

I use mine daily in Google pay rotating between PTSB, Revolut and crypto.com cards and going back in time without issues

I use mine all the time. Pay for everything onto my credit card, then allocate or to the correct account with the back on time feature. I get to use Gpay for everything without worrying about which account it's coming from, and get some cashback from the credit card transactions

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Wheety wrote: »

I've signed up anyway to see what it's like. My credit card has, correctly been added as Euro but Revolut has been added as Sterling.

Should I change this to Euro? Also on Amazon, I presume my Curve card should be set as Sterling?

I think this is because the first 6 digits of a card is the issuer identification number. It probably went in as Sterling as the Revolut card originated from the UK.

I love Curve and I hardly use my Revolut card anymore. You don't get charged FX fees through Curve. I have my debit/credits card linked to my Curve and I really like not having to top up my Curve card as you would with a Revolut card.

Thanks. I signed up easily and have a card on the way.

Most of the negative reviews are people having problems setting it up. I was done in around 10 minutes.

Yeah, I'm going off Revolut. The app is awful these days.

Will use this for online shopping instead of Revolut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭cullenswood

You don't get charged FX fees through Curve. I have my debit/credits card linked to my Curve and I really like not having to top up my Curve card as you would with a Revolut card.

But do you get the spot rate that Revolut offers? Or what exchange rate is used?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

But do you get the spot rate that Revolut offers? Or what exchange rate is used?

I bought something yesterday through Curve for £380. Using Revolut would have saved me approx €1.20. Not significant enough of a saving for me to make me start topping up the Revolut card all the time.

I bought something yesterday through Curve for £380. Using Revolut would have saved me approx €1.20. Not significant enough of a saving for me to make me start top up the Revolut card all the time.

Thanks. Just trying to figure out Curve.

So, they will do the FX and then charge my credit card or bank account the euro amount?

Thanks. Just trying to figure out Curve.

So, they will do the FX and then charge my credit card or bank account the euro amount?

Ya, they do all that. They'll send you a notification when the transaction goes through with the euro amount.

Ya, they do all that. They'll send you a notification when the transaction goes through with the euro amount.

Excellent, thanks for that. Much handier than Revolut so.

Excellent, thanks for that. Much handier than Revolut so.

I think so, I definitely don't miss the constant topping up of the Revolut card. Revolut have a marginally better exchange rate but nothing I'd lose sleep over.

I've been using this for about a week now. I like it. Had a bit of trouble initially adding it to Amazon but working now. Saves me a step when buying from Amazon for the house as I used to use my Revolut, then take the money back from the joint account.

Now I have the joint credit card set up through Curve and that gets charged directly.

For comparison:
    £15.42 was €17.14 through Curve
    It would have been €17.02 through Revolut
    And €17.53 if Amazon carried out the exchange.

But I also received £0.16 from Curve for the Amazon transaction :-)

The go back in time is a great feature. I put all our weekly shopping/diesel and my day to day spending through a Crypto.com card for 3% cashback. This card is added to curve as well as my PTSB card. When my crypto card is not topped up I can just use my PTSB card through Curve and have 90 days to go back in time and change the transaction to the Crypto card.

I don't even have the physical Curve card, I gave it to my wife so she uses it. I just use Curve in Google Pay with my phone

Found another benefit of Curve. Was buying something on Smyths and it said something about my KBC credit card not set up for 2 factor authentication. I've been having some problems buying online with that card. I don't think the text sends anymore. Will have to get onto bank and get it sorted.

Anyway, it worked no problem though Curve :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

Anyone else having trouble signing up to Curve? Submitted ID and that but then said they "couldn't offer you Curve at the moment"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭Jeff2

My app disappeared and having trouble installing it now.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Jeff2 wrote: »
    My app disappeared and having trouble installing it now.

Is your device rooted?

Spocker wrote: »
    Is your device rooted?

Or a OnePlus?

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Or a OnePlus?

App works fine on my OnePlus Nord

App works fine on my OnePlus Nord

i read on Reddit of some who has issues with OnePlus where Oxygen OS was wrongly classified as a custom Rom blocking some apps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Is your device rooted?

No it's not rooted.

The app worked fine but disappeared the other day and won't install now.

Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dermotsull13

Hi
    I'm hoping somebody might be able to steer me in the right direction here.
    Newly started with Curve and wanted to test it out this afternoon in Lidl. I had the card I wanted selected (PTSB) and the Curve App was open on screen however the payment was taken from Google Pay account and used a different card (Revolut) that was set as primary in that account. The Google Pay app was was closed and not even open in the background.
    Is there a setting that I need to change in Google Pay to stop it superseding Curve?
    Thanks

Hi
    Newly started with Curve and wanted to test it out this afternoon in Lidl. I had the card I wanted selected (PTSB) and the Curve App was open on screen however the payment was taken from Google Pay account and used a different card (Revolut) that was set as primary in that account. The Google Pay app was was closed and not even open in the background.
    Is there a setting that I need to change in Google Pay to stop it superseding Curve?
    Thanks

Add your Curve card to Google Pay and select it as your as your default. If you don't want to do that then just tap the physical Curve card.

Hi
    Thanks

Curve doesn't work from the app like that, you need to add it to Google pay it use the physical card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dermotsull13

Perfect thanks a million for the replies. I thought it worked similar to Google Pay in that you could tap the phone but that's perfect.

While I'm here I might just ask another Q. I signed up last week without a hitch. Used a referral off here to do so. My wife tried to sign up last night but kept getting an error that curve couldnt be offered to her at the moment. She hadn't used a referral so I wonder did that make a difference?

Advertisement