Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Curve - what’s it all about then

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Anyone having issues adding their curve card to Apple Pay, I’m trying since yesterday and I get to the verification stage, however curve don’t seem to be sending an sms with a code to my number. I contacted support and they confirmed that there was a little issue on my account, they reset it, advised me to remove card from Apple Pay, and re-add it, however the problem still exists. I only signed up with them last week and the card came yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Email from Curve today:
    Dear Curve Customers,

Your Curve card and all associated Curve transaction and money transfer services will be temporarily suspended with immediate effect. Please be assured, we expect to be up and running again shortly but it may take a few days. Your money and card details held at Curve are safe and secure.

This has happened because the Financial Conduct Authority has this morning suspended its permission for Wirecard Card Solutions Limited (the company who currently issues Curve Cards) to operate, without prior notice. This action is not related to Curve - but Curve currently depends on Wirecard for operation of the Curve card.

We are already well on the way to migrating away from Wirecard but have not fully completed this process. We are now working round the clock to achieve the migration as quickly as possible and therefore expect this disruption to last for only a limited period of time.

We will continue to communicate the details of what this means for you during this interim period.

For now, please carry a backup card.

We’ll be back,
    Team Curve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Not great but hopefully they'll be back soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Card was rejected in the shop this evening.

I would usually get message on the phone if this happens but none this time.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Card was rejected in the shop this evening.

I would usually get message on the phone if this happens but none this time.
    With Wirecard out of commission, there is no connection between your card and the Curve app so that would make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Their website says to carry a backup card while they switch infrastructure providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I used the card frequently so I miss it.

I got a message in app at 7pm that the card maybe checked to see if active.

I'd guess that it's a charge to check their new setup is working.
    Many companies do this when you first sign up.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'm missing my Curve too. Bought something in Sterling this evening and had to use my Revolut. It was convenient not having to top up Curve.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Back up working tomorrow, June 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Yep ...

Mail got tonight and update to their blog:

https://discover.curve.app/a/wirecard-whats-happened-what-it-means-and-how-were-fixing-it

Well done Curve for pulling all the plugs. It tells you, they mean business. Every business gets thrown a curveball once (or twice) in a while. This was a big one and they seem to have prevailed. I now regret, not to have been partaking in the crowdfunding.

/M

• Advertisement

Made a purchase in Sterling tonight on Curve. Went through fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Q&A

Made a purchase in Sterling tonight on Curve. Went through fine.

Made two purchases in 2 different shops, all worked fine for me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Yep ... looks like they're out of the woods.

As noted by them, for some Google, Apple, Samsung, etc pay may not work yet, but they're fixing that.

Revolut were way ahead of them, so avoided the outage entirely, but these guys are close behind and first back on track.

I reckon, they'll build their payment processing more resilient and with more diversity in the future. Which is a good thing.

I like Curve .. it means, I can leave some cards at home and should the Curve card get compromised, I can always revert to something else. It also allows having a Mastercard, where you otherwise only have a Visa Debit (sometimes one system fails, the other does not) and the cashback on paid subs is actually worthwhile. It pays for the sub itself.

I've even used it as a workaround for one of my business cards. Somehow Permanent TSB screwed the card up. It works contactless and it works online. But whenever I have to use the PIN-code it gets declined. Using it through Curve solved that problem. Replacing the card until it expires was too much hassle.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Got one of these for handiness to combine my bank debit, credit and Revolut cards. Just wondering if there's a way to change the balance display from pounds to euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Got one of these for handiness to combine my bank debit, credit and Revolut cards. Just wondering if there's a way to change the balance display from pounds to euro?

Click on the gear icon on the card page and there is option to change card currency

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Do you mean on your actual Curve card within the app,, then as far as I know, that only displays £. However you can change the currency of your added Revolut card by doing so in the settings cog.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I have been using a curve card for about a year but a couple of months ago some money dissappeared out of my card. When I went through it (and it wasnt that easy) balancing up every transaction I noticed the odd charge was on both cards when i switched. Also some foreign currency transactions would be wrong values.
    Like say I spent €40, it would be £40 off my card.
    Just small amounts on the odd transaction. But added up to around €10 per month on average.
    So I went to curve with all of this and they blamed vendors, other cards, shops etc.
    It happened with no other card I ever had. Curve basically said talk to the hand.
    I ended up cancelling the card last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

So I signed up last week. Added some cards, received test transactions. Curve card arrived yesterday and app is not accepting the last 4 digits to verify. Have raised ticket in app (twice now) and got no response. Any advice?

Is the £10,000 usage limit on the free account a lifetime usage limit or a yearly one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Is the £10,000 usage limit on the free account a lifetime usage limit or a yearly one?

It's a 365 days limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

They will up the 365 day limit to 20k if you send them ID.

I wonder do they go beyond that, anyone any experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

moleyv wrote: »
    They will up the 365 day limit to 20k if you send them ID.

I wonder do they go beyond that, anyone any experience?

I got 100k in GBP ( or equivalent in other currencies) but I had to provide IDs and that includes bank statements.

Anyone know if I use the a curve card in a BOI machine with my BoI card selected does the machine think it’s just BOI card?

I want to lodge a cheque to my account but don’t have my BoI card on me and was wondering if I could lodge using the curve card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Anyone know if I use the a curve card in a BOI machine with my BoI card selected does the machine think it’s just BOI card?

I want to lodge a cheque to my account but don’t have my BoI card on me and was wondering if I could lodge using the curve card?

No chance! The linking is done behind the scenes by Curve. The card number will not be recognized as a BOI card

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Just seen this thread. Looks good.

Anyone know the difference in fx fees between revolut and curve?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Pablo1802

FX rates are slightly better with Curve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

You can now add Curve to Google pay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Amouar

Does anybody knows if grocery transactions made on Curve are appropriately categorized in Avant card in order to get Avant Card's cashback?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

Amouar wrote: »
    Does anybody knows if grocery transactions made on Curve are appropriately categorized in Avant card in order to get Avant Card's cashback?

Yes it’s back working again and puts each purchase in the correct category. It didn’t for a while when they changed from Wirecard. I have Avantcard and get the cash back when I use Curve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Amouar

I tried to use Curve today in Google Pay in Aldi for a total of more than 50 Euros but the transaction didn't go through. Are you able to do Google pay transactions of over 50 Euros when using Curve linked to AvantCard?

Advertisement