Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible ROI FPL Team - 19/20

• 05-05-2019 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned elsewhere but the Mark Travers debut and Sheffield Utd promotion opens up the tantalizing prospect of a Republic of Ireland FPL squad for next season.
    A regular poster used to have a handicap league against an England team and it was a bit of craic.
    Worth keeping an eye on for next season. Probably need Villa to go up and one or two prospects like Parrott to get a squad number. Struggling in midfield.

GK: Travers, Kelleher
    D: Doherty, Stevens, Duffy, Coleman, Ward, Clarke, Egan
    M: Brady, Hendricks, McCarthy, Erm Hourihane and Whelan from Villa
    F: Long, Obafemi, McGoldrick

Any others worth keeping an eye out for? I’d have no problem sticking Rice in. He’s got 3 caps and it’s FPL so real football doesn’t come into it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Scott hogan maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Arter may go back to Bournemouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Was chatting to a mate from the UK about this recently, and we're considering setting up a Ireland against England team as done previously in this forum, with a handicap TBC obviously.

First draft has me looking at something like the below:

Travers
    Doherty, Coleman, Duffy, Stevens
    Robinson, Brady, Hendrick, Hourihane
    Long, McGoldrick

???, Clark, McCarthy, Obafemi

Anyone else I've missed out? Need to find a sub keeper as unfortunately Kelleher from Liverpool has not been added to the game. Happy to rely on the granny rule if absolutely necessary.

Think I might be very light on goals so will rely on a good defensive contribution. No playing subs is a worry aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭macraignil

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Was chatting to a mate from the UK about this recently, and we're considering setting up a Ireland against England team as done previously in this forum, with a handicap TBC obviously.

First draft has me looking at something like the below:

Travers
    Doherty, Coleman, Duffy, Stevens
    Robinson, Brady, Hendrick, Hourihane
    Long, McGoldrick

???, Clark, McCarthy, Obafemi

Anyone else I've missed out? Need to find a sub keeper as unfortunately Kelleher from Liverpool has not been added to the game. Happy to rely on the granny rule if absolutely necessary.

Think I might be very light on goals so will rely on a good defensive contribution. No playing subs is a worry aswell

John Egan at Sheffield United might get more appearance points than Clark at Newcastle and if you count Northern Irish players you could have a non playing goalkeeper with Michael McGovern at Norwich. If Northern Ireland is OK then Jonny Evans at Leicester might also be in contention for a place.

Did Harry Kane have a granny from Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Troy Parrott looked good today, he's only 17 but might get some game time this season for Spurs if they don't loan him out.

Edit - He's not in the game yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Need Mignolet to leave Liverpool.

Adam Idah looks a good prospect up front for Norwich but unlikely to be in the game for a while.

John Egan is a good shout.

I think I will result to Norn Iron players if needs must. McGovern might get me out of a pickle. Only if there are no other options though, if I start including the likes of Johnny Evans I might have James Mcclean coming knocking on my door :P

• Registered Users Posts: 42,078 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Nathan Redmond is still eligible for Ireland through his Irish mother if you were stuck.

I think we're going to go ahead with this, no transfers allowed only wildcards. I'll update periodically if GetWithIt doesn't mind me hijacking his thread!

I'll post the finalised squads once we have them, for now I'd appreciate any further suggestions as I think I am going to have my work cut out for me

• Registered Users Posts: 42,078 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

sugarman wrote: »
    Stephen Henderson joined palace, so theres a second keeper.

This going ahead? Sounds a bit of fun.

Will they even add him though? He's their third-choice keeper and we all know how slow they are to add players to the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Off the top of my head this England team is very strong(I hope Ireland get a big handicap)
    Pickford
    TAA Walker Wan Bissaka Maguire
    Sterling Alli Maddison
    Wilson Kane Vardy

Yes this is still going ahead.

One thing we're potentially looking at is capping the English team to the same budget the Irish team currently works out at, which is around 80m. This will help to not have the handicap too ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭hurlingman97

Callum Robinson also
    But you probably already have too many Sheffield United players

Mignolet leaving Liverpool, hopefully this means Kelleher is finally added to the game and I get my sub keeper.

Mignolet leaving Liverpool, hopefully this means Kelleher is finally added to the game and I get my sub keeper.

Well that was a fun dream for a few hours, they just signed Adrian the feckers

Troy Parrott added to the game, just in time!

We have finalised the teams and rules:

1) Budget of £77m for the squad. This helps to keep the handicap to at least a reasonable level.
    2) No subs, captain changes or transfers.
    3) Only chips allowed are wildcards.
    4) Handicap of 12 points per week for the boys in Green, so 456 for the season.

Irish Team:

Travers
    Doherty (C) - Coleman - Duffy - Stevens
    Robinson (VC) - Hendrick - Brady - Hourihane
    McGoldrick - Long

McGovern - Parrott - McCarthy - Clark

Yes Yes I know McGovern is Norn Iron, but needs must :P

English Team:

Pope
    TAA(C) - Shaw - AWB (VC) - Coady - Lascelles
    Ward Prowse - March
    Murray - Greenwood - Ings

Norris - Hayden - Stephens - Choudhury

I will try and update this periodically throughout the season for anyone interested.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I'm not sure I want to know the outcome of this. Looking at that team is depressing me enough as it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Wilberto wrote: »
    I'm not sure I want to know the outcome of this. Looking at that team is depressing me enough as it is!

:D

Kelleher finally added to the game!

We have made an exception to our no transfer rule to allow me.to rid my team of the Brit :P

Yes!

• Advertisement

Thought it was time for an update on this.

With 5 of my players yet to play a minute this season, it's been a bit of a slog so far. Callum Robinson's exploits against Chelsea as my captain helped immensely, and an unexpected Jeff Hendrick goal had me happier than I'd care to admit :P

UK Team: 180
    Irish Team: 117 + Handicap of 5x12 : 177.

So looks like we've handicapped this nicely so far, which should make for an interesting season.

My defence is where I'm going to win or lose this, so really need Coleman Duffy and Doherty to keep free of injury. Troy Parrott starting to get minutes would be great also.

COYBIG!

Connolly getting regular minutes for Brighton. Might be time to wildcard.

It’s a pain having to choose 3 from 4 Sheffield Utd but I reckon Egan is going to get you more points than McGoldrick.

McGoldrick -> Connolly
    Clarke -> Egan

5-4-1

Connolly now starting for Brighton!

Ya, great news. Thinking of pushing the wildy button over the international break.

Thanks to Matt Doherty's 30(!!!) Points for me as captain last week, I've actually taken the lead for the first time this season!

Ireland : 184 + (7*12) : 268
    England: 255

COYBIG!

Pull the trigger. Connolly now scoring for Brighton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭steve_r

Connolly 4.5m starter!

Aaron Connelly scores a brace!

giphy.gif

He's not in my team.

giphy.gif

Goals for Hourihane and Jeff Hendrick!

giphy.gif

Red card for Seamus Coleman.

giphy.gif

Entertaining week so far :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Hourihane goal and assist and Hendrick goal :)

International Break update:

Well, might not have been a great break for us, but in FPL terms we're flying it! Of the back of that great last week, points are now:

Ireland 224 + (8*12) : 320
    England : 295

How's that for a border!!

Hoping to push on now, have wildcarded mainly to get on the Aaron Connelly hype. Other changes so far are bringing in big John Egan, as I think he is worth more as my Sheffield United 3rd spot than McGoldrick. Also swapped Obafemi for Long as I think he has surprisingly overtaken him in the pecking order.

Travers
    Doherty(C) Coleman Duffy Egan Stevens
    Robinson(VC) Hendrick Hourihane
    Connelly Obafemi

Kelleher McCarthy Parrott Brady

That's how I'm looking to set up at the moment, obviously can tweak until Saturday.

Could somebody have a word with Eddie Howe about getting Travers back in the team please! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

International Break update:

Well, might not have been a great break for us, but in FPL terms we're flying it! Of the back of that great last week, points are now:

Ireland 224 + (8*12) : 320
    England : 295

How's that for a border!!

Hoping to push on now, have wildcarded mainly to get on the Aaron Connelly hype. Other changes so far are bringing in big John Egan, as I think he is worth more as my Sheffield United 3rd spot than McGoldrick. Also swapped Obafemi for Long as I think he has surprisingly overtaken him in the pecking order.

Travers
    Doherty(C) Coleman Duffy Egan Stevens
    Robinson(VC) Hendrick Hourihane
    Connelly Obafemi

Kelleher McCarthy Parrott Brady

That's how I'm looking to set up at the moment, obviously can tweak until Saturday.

Could somebody have a word with Eddie Howe about getting Travers back in the team please! :P

Probably would have got rid of Parrott for Obafemi instead or were you limited with funds?

Advertisement