Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSVR Setup / Config / Tips

• 06-12-2017 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

So this thread is, as the title says, specifically for any information in relation to setup and configuration of the PSVR. Please feel free to add to it, including any general tips you might have for PSVR gaming.

Comments

As the above, mixed informations on the internet. Have people with glasses, mine are varifocal, been OK with PSVR? Not making scratches, being able to see OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

One thing that help me massively was adjusting the ipd. Made it clearer when I play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

There's quite a few youtube videos on setup: Clicky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

CptMackey wrote: »
    One thing that help me massively was adjusting the ipd. Made it clearer when I play.

This a thousand times. It's something you might not bother with or use your own IPD settings. This measures your eyes specifically for PSVR, it isn't 100% accurately giving an IPD number, but it IS 100% measuring the perfect 3D distance for you on your PSVR.

Some interesting info here (I didn't know it could play 3D Blue Ray !) : https://www.vrheads.com/playstation-vr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,588 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

My tips are...

- Put camera on a tripod as soon as you get it

- position camera at nose level when standing up and aim camera down slightly. Mess around with this until you have it perfect. You should have no problems picking up guns off the ground in Superhot for example. Holoball is a great game to use as a way of defining your play space. It's worth it for the config screen alone.

- remember your camera doesn't need to be beside your tv, so position it anywhere you like where you can ensure you have sufficient space to move

- if you have reflective surfaces behind you when facing camera cover them with some temporary sheeting. I have a 60" framed photo behind me and my tracking always goes a bit awry after a while. Covering this over with a few plastic bags fixed this. Easy to take down and put back up without having to move frame.

- when doing the light tracking during initial setup try to pivot the headset around the same distance from the camera at all times. PSVR Frank put up a video about this a few months ago as a way of improving tracking

Another tip, ensure you don't have any chandeliers overhead. They WILL be smashed I guarantee.

I discovered this in a rather frenetic and ultimately bloody game of Holoball.

And of course oculusnsfw reddit is the one to visit for all those wondering what the Littlestar app is for ;)

mrcheez wrote: »
    Put camera on a tripod as soon as you get it
    Any recommendations for a tripod on eBay or Amazon etc ?
    - remember your camera doesn't need to be beside your tv, so position it anywhere you like where you can ensure you have sufficient space to move
    Ahh... hadn't thought of that - I had assumed it would be under/over the TV but it does not need to be as you'll have your own screen. Nice !

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a tripod on eBay or Amazon etc ?

Ahh... hadn't thought of that - I had assumed it would be under/over the TV but it does not need to be as you'll have your own screen. Nice !

I just found an old tripod I had lying around and the screwed on a few GoPro adapters to get it to "grip" the camera.

There are probably a few recommendations for the type of tripod grip you should get on youtube etc.

Only thing about the camera is that you'll need to be in close proximity to your console, so inevitably will be near the TV, but just that you dont need to have camera on top of TV if you dont need it there.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Just set mine up last night. Not sure if I did it right as I was in a rush.
    When setting the ipd do u move close to the camera and take pic or do u take pic where u are sitting then move the target to the centre of my eyes?
    Played a bit of London heist and felt a bit sick after it. Hopefully I'll get used to it as I've never used a vr before.
    But it was brilliant 👍

Some interesting info here about lens pens (which I had never heard of before) to clean the psvr lenses: https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/7k4oj7/lens_pen_made_a_huge_difference/

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Some interesting info here about lens pens (which I had never heard of before) to clean the psvr lenses: https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/7k4oj7/lens_pen_made_a_huge_difference/

Yeah I use a lenspen on mine, but combine it with the standard PSVR cleaning cloth to get the grease out.

Some say it isn't a good idea as the PSVR lenses are plastic not glass, but I think that's just conjecture. Mine appears to be fine after using the lenspen.

So first clean off the grease with the PSVR fibre cloth, then use the lenspen to give it a final polish. Using the lenspen without the cloth will just end up spreading your grease!

Another tip, to stave off nausea if you are prone to it...

Get a fan gently blowing on you. A large contributer to nausea is the "hot" feeling you sometimes get and I always use a fan when playing which helps keep me cool.

Also aids immersion if you're playing anything where you are moving, like riding a horse in Skyrim, or flying around in Ultrawings.

When starting out it can take some a few tries to get the ol VR legs. The first time I played Farpoint I felt a bit woozy.

Main thing is: DON'T try to power through it, take lots of breaks initially and your brain will eventually get used to it. If you try to power through it your brain will always associate VR with nausea.

Can we move this thread to the new Virtual Reality forum please?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1829

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Can we move this thread to the new Virtual Reality forum please?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1829

Thanks!

Why?

It's specific to PlayStation I would have thought?

I'm sure we can have a thread in both forums?

Fieldog wrote: »
    Why?

It's specific to PlayStation I would have thought?

I'm sure we can have a thread in both forums?

The idea is to make this a "sticky" as it has questions answered that are oft asked repeatedly by new owners of PSVR headsets.

As it stands this thread was on page 3 of the Playstation forums so in essence lost unless actively searched for.

If you find your Move controller tracking is a bit off (floaty hands or whatever) press power button on your Move controller for 10 seconds to power it off, then power it back up and all should be solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

My tips are...

- Put camera on a tripod as soon as you get it

- position camera at nose level when standing up and aim camera down slightly. Mess around with this until you have it perfect. You should have no problems picking up guns off the ground in Superhot for example. Holoball is a great game to use as a way of defining your play space. It's worth it for the config screen alone.

- if you have reflective surfaces behind you when facing camera cover them with some temporary sheeting. I have a 60" framed photo behind me and my tracking always goes a bit awry after a while. Covering this over with a few plastic bags fixed this. Easy to take down and put back up without having to move frame.

- when doing the light tracking during initial setup try to pivot the headset around the same distance from the camera at all times. PSVR Frank put up a video about this a few months ago as a way of improving tracking

Would you mind taking a pic of your set up and posting it here?

Playing last night and nothing really felt right, id be especially interested in seeing the tri pod you're using and how you have it attached to the camera.

What is that piece of crap the give you to hold the camera out of the box? :confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Sure, pm me to remind me in case I forget later today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Any recommendations for cheap tripod for camera?

sticker wrote: »
    I use this one from Amazon and I 3D printed this PS Camera Mount.
    Works great if you have access to a 3D printer (or get it printed by someone)

sticker wrote: »

Any generic tripod should do though you might need to get some sort of adaptor that will allow you to "grip" the camera.

I had a spare set of GoPro attachments, some of which I was able to piece together to screw onto the tripod.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/5n98ac/a_stand_for_your_cameraup_to_10_feet_high/?st=jplbf87z&sh=742723cc

Any generic tripod should do though you might need to get some sort of adaptor that will allow you to "grip" the camera.

I had a spare set of GoPro attachments, some of which I was able to piece together to screw onto the tripod.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/5n98ac/a_stand_for_your_cameraup_to_10_feet_high/?st=jplbf87z&sh=742723cc

Great. Many thanks

A lot of those links are not working. I wonder would this combo work?

Phot-R Professional Photography 3m Adjustable 3-Section Photo Studio Lightweight Aluminium Light Stand https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MOM61AA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_56teCbJ7R3X08

And

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WFNNNCC/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_awdb_ZMteCbPE535K8

Anyone know a good combo that works? I'm not familiar with the light stand attachment head..

What I did was open my pack of GoPro accessories and sorta bastardised a contraption that works well

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Accessories-ccbetter-Action-Session-including/dp/B018Z358JG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1544636071&sr=8-6&keywords=gopro+accessories

You might get something cheaper on ebay though

What I did was open my pack of GoPro accessories and sorta bastardised a contraption that works well

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Accessories-ccbetter-Action-Session-including/dp/B018Z358JG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1544636071&sr=8-6&keywords=gopro+accessories

You might get something cheaper on ebay though

Ordered it... Cheers!

I have a curtain rail about 9 foot high behind the TV. Would this be too high for the camera?

Yeah it should really be eye level when u are standing and pointed slightly down so that your full body including feet and head are in view when 2m away

• Advertisement

Yeah it should really be eye level when u are standing and pointed slightly down so that your full body including feet and head are in view when 2m away

OK cheers.

Advertisement