Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback on External Tax Websites to be Confined Here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Taxback.com offered 25 percent of what I actually got doing it through an Australian accountant for a fee of 100 dollars.
    They are overcharging everyone and offering fast ridiculous returns,my advice stay away

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭elnino35

Apologies to mods if this in wrong section, but need some info on this...Has anybody used taxback.com to claim any taxes owed etc. I contacted them about 6 months ago when I lost my job about a rebate, and gave them my details, P60 etc. Got a call from them yesterday saying I was due x amount back, and to fill out 2 online forms that basically give them permission to transfer funds from the tax office to their account to then be forwarded to me...their fee for this is 10% plus a 72euro handling fee. I emailed them back and requested a payment in form of a cheque, as no way am I giving bank account details at any stage. Everything seems genuine enough, but was obviously wondering if anyone on here had dealings with them, and if so how things panned out regards payments.

thanks in advance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Hey,

I used taxback.com to claim back tax from working abroad before. Are you claiming back tax paid in Ireland or abroad?

If it is for tax paid in Ireland, the easiest way to do this is complete Form P50 and attach your P45, send it to your local tax office and bobs your uncle. Most importantly the Revenue do not charge you and handling fee or commission!

jockey#1 wrote: »
    Hey,

I used taxback.com to claim back tax from working abroad before. Are you claiming back tax paid in Ireland or abroad?

If it is for tax paid in Ireland, the easiest way to do this is complete Form P50 and attach your P45, send it to your local tax office and bobs your uncle. Most importantly the Revenue do not charge you and handling fee or commission!
    I'm claiming tax from Ireland for the 09 tax year..got another mail from them this morning confirming the amount I was due, and they will soon be requesting my bank details to lodge the money....just sounds ever so dodgy to be honest, that's why I was hoping to hear from someone who had been refunded by them before.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Slinky>

I had problems with taxback.com before. The communication from them was horrendous As far as I could work out they do a lot of their tax work in Bulgaria.

That fee is massive you can process the refund yourself without too much difficulty and even if you do decide to hire a tax refund agent (of which there are lots!) they generally charge a small percentage of the refund with no "handling fee"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Sounds like its too late to do it yourself so! When I got my refund it was into my bank but to be honest it was so small I hardly noticed it going in :confused:

jockey#1 wrote: »
    Sounds like its too late to do it yourself so! When I got my refund it was into my bank but to be honest it was so small I hardly noticed it going in :confused:
    well this is a four figured sum, so will defo notice:eek:, but that's why im a bit dubious tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭TheScriptFan

I have used Taxback.com to get a refund from Australia, they were fine - not the most efficient company to work with but I wouldn't worry about giving them your bank details, they are a legitimate company, but if you feel uncomfortable - just request a cheque, they may impose a small fee for this, but if it gives you peace of mind then don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

If claiming back income tax from Irl, I would just do it myself.

It's easy, so why pay 10% plus a fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Robert McGrath

I know I'm repeating what someone else has already said, but you need to be pretty confident that you definitely don't owe any tax before asking Revenue for a P21 - e.g. if your employer made a mistake in calculating your PAYE and didn't deduct enough tax, requesting a P21 from Revenue will mean that you now have to pay the balance ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

just wondering if anyone has used or could recommend this service. Basically I'm a reluctant first time landlord (legacy of the celtic tiger) and need to submit tax returns for 2009 where i had an apt rented for 3 months and i don't want to pay an accountant 400 lids for doing the returns for me. i'm reasonably savvy when it comes to tax returns online but just has a look at www.ros.ie and can't figure it out..
    Any advice appreciated
    Cheers
    MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 macgintysgoat

i used it last year and while it was pretty good it was a bit expensive for my needs (i only have 2 properties).
    this year i did it all using excel. i found this website useful http://www.mcgibney.com/tax_on_rental_income.htm. the layout is s***e but the info is good. hope this helps.

i used it last year and while it was pretty good it was a bit expensive for my needs (i only have 2 properties).
    this year i did it all using excel. i found this website useful http://www.mcgibney.com/tax_on_rental_income.htm. the layout is s***e but the info is good. hope this helps.

Thanks, did you just submit the accounts with the self assessment form(form 11)?

i did the calculations in excel and then used ros offline to fill out the form and then uploaded it - couldn't have been easier. ros take s bit of getting used to but it works well.

i did the calculations in excel and then used ros offline to fill out the form and then uploaded it - couldn't have been easier. ros take s bit of getting used to but it works well.

do you not need a VAT number to register for using ros ? should i have one of these or can I use my PPSN no? Also, what category does a landlord fall into on the drop down??? apologies for the dumb questions - i did say reluctant landlord!

ros.jpg

i wouldn't have thought you would need a vat no - your ppsn would be enough. the rental income is part of your income tax return. if you are a paye worker, your tax is done automatically by your employer but if you have any other sources of income, you have to send in a form11 (and also a med 1 if you want to claim for medical expenses.)
    the best way to do it is to register with ros (to make the return online) and also download the ros offline program. when you've installed this on your computer, download the for 11 for 2009 and open it in ros offline. it takes you through the different sections - the only one that is relevant to you is rental income (and maybe health expenses) - you can use excel to do the calculations- when you've saved this login to the ros site and upload the form11 file and voila the return is done. it sounds a bit complicated but it's actually pretty easy. once you've done it once you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

the best way to do it is to register with ros (to make the return online) and also download the ros offline program.

Thanks very much for the info... I've downloaded the ROS offline application and the form but can't seem to get past the first step to register for ROS as it just keeps telling me "Number entered is not valid for the Tax Type selected."...

i had a quick look at the site. if you are a paye employee the i think you have register for paye anytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

if its of any use, i used irishtaxrebates.ie last year and got nice refund, now he does my returns annually. - very reasonable and one of these guys whos likes to give revenue only what has to be given.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Colts

mchammer wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the info... I've downloaded the ROS offline application and the form but can't seem to get past the first step to register for ROS as it just keeps telling me "Number entered is not valid for the Tax Type selected."...

You should be entering the number as your income tax number to register. If you're in receipt of rental income then you're liable for income tax.

That is of course assuming you've registered for income tax. If you haven't you need to download a form TR1 from revenue and register. Search for TR1 here...

http://www.revenue.ie/revsearch/search.jsp

If you require any further help let me know!

• Advertisement

Colts wrote: »
    You should be entering the number as your income tax number to register. If you're in receipt of rental income then you're liable for income tax.

That is of course assuming you've registered for income tax. If you haven't you need to download a form TR1 from revenue and register. Search for TR1 here...

http://www.revenue.ie/revsearch/search.jsp

If you require any further help let me know!

Thanks but looking at this again.... could I not just fill out the FORM 12 which is for PAYE workers and there is an option for filling out section 13 - "Rental Income from Land and Property in the State"??? I'm confused as to whether I need form 11 or 12 now?

mchammer wrote: »
    Thanks but looking at this again.... could I not just fill out the FORM 12 which is for PAYE workers and there is an option for filling out section 13 - "Rental Income from Land and Property in the State"??? I'm confused as to whether I need form 11 or 12 now?

I'd always thought thta with rental income you'd be a chargeable person for self assessed income tax and therefore required to fill in a form 11 unless you're a non-proprietry director or an employee.

However having examined the form 12 it appears section 13 does allow for rental income. I'd personally recommend filing a form 11 but call your local revenue office to confirm if you can file a form 12, which would obviously reduce alot of the hassle as you wouldn't have to register!

Colts wrote: »
    I'd always thought that with rental income you'd be a chargeable person for self assessed income tax and therefore required to fill in a form 11 unless you're a non-proprietary director or an employee.

However having examined the form 12 it appears section 13 does allow for rental income. I'd personally recommend filing a form 11 but call your local revenue office to confirm if you can file a form 12, which would obviously reduce alot of the hassle as you wouldn't have to register!

Just rang the local revenue office and the nice lady told me that a form 12 is sufficient if the net income after deductions is less than €3,175! saves me a bit of hassle:)

Thanks for the help - boards.ie to the rescue again!!!

Good news, must remember that in future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Spirow

If you are willing to do a little work, you can get your tax done free using the government process in Australia
    This website has some information on how to do it - its not that hard once you follow the steps
    http://taxrefundforfree.com.au/

• Registered Users Posts: 14 smullo

A friend of mine is involved in a new startup doing tax returns from Ireland, UK and Oz. If you left Ireland and went to Australia for a year or so and come back - you can do two claims - one in Ireland and one in Oz. And you can go back 4 years in Ireland and longer in Australia - so even if this happened ages ago you can still claim. Their site is http://www.allmytax.com They have a similar pricing model - 10% of the refund.

Also if you rent in Ireland you can claim I think 500 a year back - and back claim for 4 years - so a handy 2 grand. Anyway, whoever you use - make sure and look at both the Irish and Australian side when claiming tax back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 silverlight

I'm looking to claim a tax refund in Ireland for rent and doctors fees. Has anyone used www.allmytax.com ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

That's too simple to be paying a fee to someone for. I suggest either:

1.) Register for Revenue's online PAYE Anytime Service,

OR (if you aren't confident in using that),

2.) Walk into the public counter with your documents and ask them to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Are you talking about the rent credit?

If so its a credit for 20% of the rent paid up to 2000 (for a single person under 55), so the maximum you can claim back is 400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 smullo

You're right - it's 400 for a single person. 800 for married couples and it seems to be double this if you are over 55. But you can go back 4 years plus the current year - giving you 2,000. That's the info i got here

Advertisement