Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Request] Digital Camera..

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭LizardKing

The Minolta Dimage X Range are nice but might be a little bit pricey ~€300 on www.nomatica.com or www.pixmania.com ..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Yea wat is a gud compact DC? I'd be looking for 1 that i could keep with me at all times and hardly notice it's there. Don't want to break the bank either & none of those crappy credit card cams. I do want to take decent pics after all.

Pentax Optio S. Tiny little thing - about the same width and height as a credit card and about 2 cm thick. Weighs about 100 g. Despite the ultra compact size it has 3 mp and 3x optical zoom. Also it's not bad value IMO - approx 265 - 280 euros delivered from somewhere like amazon.co.uk or pixmania.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 TE0N

Those photos are magnificent, especially the picture of the bird on the handle.

Must have taken both extraordinary skill and patience to capture that.

Good Job

TEON.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

A nice cmaera to consider getting is the minolta z1. Minolta have just released the newer version of it (Z2) fo theprice of the Z1 has tumbled to around 250 sterling.

It's a really nice camera because
    1. 10x optical zoom, equivalent to 38-380mm on a 35mm camera.
    2. ability to accept external flash unit
    3. aperture priorty, shutter priority and fully manual modes.
    4. Shutter speeds of 1/1000 to 15 seconds (30 seconds using bulb)
    5. The lag between pressing the exposure button and the picture actually exposing is comparable to a 35mm SLR camera (this was always a major annoyance for me with digital cameras)
    6. Super-fast auto focusing and zooming.

Certianly for the price you're not going to find a more fully featured camera. It is a bit bulky (a minor drawback, imo).

Available from pixmania and various other internet retilaers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭.-=MR. JOE=-.

Just a word of caution..... don't use Pixmania. Altough it isn't clear from their website they are actually based in France. I ordered a camera from them in January. It got lost in the post for a few weeks and they said they'd send another. Finally it came and I rang Pixmania to let them know. They hadn't sent out the replacemnet yet so I thought that was it. I didn't trust those guys so I rang later to ensure they had not sent out and wouldn't be sending out the replacement. I also emailed them. I got a reply from the email saying it wouldn't be sent out. 30min later I got another to say it was dispatched. 3 weeks later it arrived and had to be sent back to France.

Main problemn though all their manuals and plugs are French . So I had to then pay the manufacturer to send me English manuals and I bought a plug adapter. I ended up spending more than if I had bought it from Amazon or another decent site.

:mad: AVOID PIXMANIA :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by .-=MR. JOE=-.
    30min later I got another to say it was dispatched. 3 weeks later it arrived and had to be sent back to France.

Emm, I know it is a little dishonest, but if they where such pricks, why didn't you just hold onto the second camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A nice cmaera to consider getting is the minolta z1. Minolta have just released the newer version of it (Z2) fo theprice of the Z1 has tumbled to around 250 sterling
    Well the Z2 is around 255 sterling on amazon.co.uk. Both the Z1 and Z2 look great but I have read reports of poor build quality and poor image quality (purple fringing) on the Z1. So hopefully Minolta have sorted this on the Z2.

PS the Z2 has a bloody fantastic movie mode - SVGA i.e. 800 X 600! Unfortunately you can only record SVGA video @ 15 fps but the camera also has a 640 x 480 @ 30 fps movie mode.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Originally posted by .-=MR. JOE=-.
    Just a word of caution..... don't use Pixmania. Altough it isn't clear from their website they are actually based in France. I ordered a camera from them in January. It got lost in the post for a few weeks and they said they'd send another. Finally it came and I rang Pixmania to let them know. They hadn't sent out the replacemnet yet so I thought that was it. I didn't trust those guys so I rang later to ensure they had not sent out and wouldn't be sending out the replacement. I also emailed them. I got a reply from the email saying it wouldn't be sent out. 30min later I got another to say it was dispatched. 3 weeks later it arrived and had to be sent back to France.

Main problemn though all their manuals and plugs are French . So I had to then pay the manufacturer to send me English manuals and I bought a plug adapter. I ended up spending more than if I had bought it from Amazon or another decent site.

:mad: AVOID PIXMANIA :mad:

Most Manufacturers Websites will have downloaded versions of manuals for every language so this isn't really a bad point , plus the fact they are considerably cheaper than irish shops then why avoid them ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Sztraik

Also Nomatica is based in France. The first time I bought a camera there the plug was a continental one, while the second time they also sent an adapter for UK plugs.
    User guides are most of times multilanguage anyway, so I guess you had a very bad luck with yours...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

Yeah but at least with Nomatica it's obvious that they're French.

By the way, Pixmania have a real life shop just down the road from the Arc de Triomphe, the other side of the Champes Elysees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

im thinking about getting the Nikon Coolpix 3100. Just want to know if it accepts SD memory? My card reader doesn't support Compact Flash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

actually, i think i'll just go ahead and order the Coolpix 3200. It's only an extra 30euro from nomatica.com, a total of 238euro.
    It accepts SD memory and i'm sure it has a few other extra features too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭acid

They do specify quite clearly "manual is in french" on many products. Usually they give a link to the manufacturers site where you can download get the english manual.
    A minor annoyance, but well worth it if the price is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I bought a Pentax Optio S from Pixmania as they were far and away the cheapest. They clearly stated that the manual would be in French, and I had no problem replacing the power adapter.

I ordered Monday morning and the camera arrived Tuesday morning. Our company has also bought a good amount of cameras from them without problems. YMMV.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I just got these....

Ordered Title Price Dispatched Subtotal
    1 Kodak Digital Camera Bag Small 6.47 GBP 1 6.47 GBP
    Sold by Amazon.com Int'l Sales, Inc. - taxed

2 Kodak Printer Dock Media ( 40 17.50 GBP 2 35.00 GBP

1 Targus Ultra Mini 4-Port USB H 15.44 GBP 1 15.44 GBP

1 Kodak 256MB Secure Digital Car 46.84 GBP 1 46.84 GBP

1 Kodak EasyShare DX4530 Digital 164.75 GBP 1 164.75 GBP

1 Kodak EasyShare Printer Dock 4 133.86 GBP 1 133.86 GBP

Subtotal Including VAT: 402.36 GBP
    Delivery Charges Including VAT: 16.84 GBP
    Total Including VAT: 419.20 GBP
    VAT 21.00 GBP%: 72.75 GBP

Amazon were the only crowd where I could get everything and were cheapest for the camera and printer dock - which give amazing results BTW
    happy camper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭.-=MR. JOE=-.

I eat all the bad words I've said about Pixmania, 6months after sending a nasty email we finally got a reply. They said they'd refund the cost of the camera, but not delivery costs.

1 week later - no money returned, emailed again and got an apologetic reply saying that they'd now proceed to refund the total amount.

AND THEY DID!!!! - about €700!!!!!!!

(we actually made money because we paid in sterling and the sterling/euro exchange rate has since changed in our favour!):D :D:D

Advertisement