Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newtownmountkennedy, what's the catch?

Options
  • 15-02-2013 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

Cheap 1,2 and 3 bed apartments between €100,000 and €200,000. I know it's not Dublin but its not far and public transport takes you there anyway. Plain and simple, what's the catch? Or is there one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its quite a long way from Dublin, you can buy houses in the area quite cheap, hence little demand for apartments which makes them cheaper still (same in small towns and villages all over the country where apartments were built during the boom).

You can buy a 3-bedroom house in nearby Kilcoole (nicer village IMO) for around 150K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Newtownmountkennedy used to have a reputation as being fairly rough (based on personal opinion only, nobody needs to get their knickers in a twist). No idea what it's really like these days.

There's very little to do in the village itself from what I know, a couple of sports clubs (football for kids at least) and then a couple of pubs. It does have easy access to the countryside/woods/mountains if you're driving.

Public transport isn't great, 1 bus every 30 minutes to Greystones/Bray so if you're going into town you'll have to change to the dart/another bus. It's 20 minutes by bus to Greystones and then 50 minutes to the city centre so you're talking up to 1.5 hours each way when you add in waiting times.

On the other hand if you are driving you have easy access to the N11. If you were working somewhere like Sandyford you could be there in 20 minutes (if no traffic). City centre is going to be 40+, easily over an hour in peak traffic.

In my opinion an apartment an hour from Dublin, in a small village with few facilities, going for 150k is not "cheap".

In short, there's lots of catches! But if you want to be a long way from the city centre in an apartment that will only lose value then go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF you look around dublin, you can see 2 bed apartments,130k, free parking space.ITS not that cheap, if you take cost of petrol into account.
    Even on public transport , who wants to spend 60 plus minutes commuting monday to friday.
    You can buy a 2bed house in dublin 100k, and no service charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

It's a bit kippy, an hour and a half on Dublin bus to town in the morning, no real facilities, a fair bit of break-ins, etc. The dunnes there is crap enough and a few shops have closed. Shops are always closing but it is particularly evident in a small village.
    Redeeming qualities? Near picturesque wicklow, a couple of nice pubs in Kilcoole, decent restaurants in Greystones and the DART a ten minute drive away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I'm shocked that there are 3 bed apts in NMK for that money, 200k, run, run fast and don't look back.

It's not the worst town, not as rough as maybe it was once perceived to be, but why on earth would anyone consider buying an apartment there, the real question should be, what sort of idiotic planning fad allowed/insisted on apartments in towns like NMK. Ludicrous imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

You can get a newish build 1 bedroom apartment in the Phibsborough area for E100,000 ,and thats just a 10 minute walk to O Connell st .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

shuffles03 wrote: »
    ....I know it's not Dublin but its not far and public transport takes you there anyway....

Its 35km. An hour on the bus. I assume when theres no traffic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Cheap 1,2 and 3 bed apartments between €100,000 and €200,000. I know it's not Dublin but its not far and public transport takes you there anyway. Plain and simple, what's the catch? Or is there one?

What do you mean by- whats the catch? 100-200k for apartments in Newtownmountkennedy is quite startling.
    Public transport- such as it exists, isn't great at all- it can take an hour and a half easily. Its an apartment- so you have management charges and a management company which you wouldn't otherwise have to deal with.
    Why would you willing pay up to 200k for an apartment an hour and a half from Dublin (providing the weather isn't bad, and you're not in peak traffic)?
    There is no catch- some people look at the price tag- and not at the inconvenience and lifestyle factors involved.

If I want to pay my hard earned money for property somewhere- I sure as hell don't want to maroon myself in the middle of a sparsely populated area that regularly gets cut off from public transport in bad weather and isn't easily accessible to places I may need to be.

These apartments may appeal to locals or those working in Coillte etc- but to someone commuting to Dublin, definitely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shetlandscotty

I live in Newtown and have done for the past 8 years, I must admit I was a bit unsure when I first moved but am now delighted, I should point out that I find the public transport excellent, I work on the north side of the city centre and commute daily on the bus eireann service which runs hourly apart from peak hours which is 1/2 hourly - its very good and gets you in to town in an hour - faster than some people travel from parts of Dublin city.
    I find if you're buying a new build there usually develops a little community of its own but there's plenty to do around, the GAA and other clubs are in existance nearby and it has several takeaways, a chemist, hairdresser, hotel, cafe's and there's a primary care centre too.
    Pricewise I'm not sure of the values but it would be useful to check Revenue to see what band the apartments are in. Check with google and see what neighbouring properties went for - might give you a better idea of values.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

SO the catch is,if you work in dublin city,
    You,ll have to spend 2 plus hours every day travelling, and pay for at least 10 bus tickets per week,
    This is at a time when houses prices in dublin ,in most areas are still falling.
    Theres apartments in dublin city, going for 100k,
    close,to bus, luas,train stations etc
    The boom is over, most people now, have no financial reason to buy a house, where there,s a long commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    I'm shocked that there are 3 bed apts in NMK for that money, 200k, run, run fast and don't look back.

It's not the worst town, not as rough as maybe it was once perceived to be, but why on earth would anyone consider buying an apartment there, the real question should be, what sort of idiotic planning fad allowed/insisted on apartments in towns like NMK. Ludicrous imo.

Ide rather the extra drive time and enjoy a morning coffee on my balcony than an apartment for 200k in NMK :cool: Oh and have 20K to spend on the furnishings

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=708737

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

I live in Newtown and have done for the past 8 years, I must admit I was a bit unsure when I first moved but am now delighted, I should point out that I find the public transport excellent, I work on the north side of the city centre and commute daily on the bus eireann service which runs hourly apart from peak hours which is 1/2 hourly - its very good and gets you in to town in an hour - faster than some people travel from parts of Dublin city.
    I find if you're buying a new build there usually develops a little community of its own but there's plenty to do around, the GAA and other clubs are in existance nearby and it has several takeaways, a chemist, hairdresser, hotel, cafe's and there's a primary care centre too.
    Pricewise I'm not sure of the values but it would be useful to check Revenue to see what band the apartments are in. Check with google and see what neighbouring properties went for - might give you a better idea of values.

Out of curiosity, how over/under subscribed are the schools? An awful lot of villages that got turned into commuter towns are struggling with facilities like schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

Hey guys, just wondering how has your feedback been on newtownmountkennedy. I see there's a dunnes which is handy. Wife and I are looking at a few places in wickow to move and this seems quite nice. Any particular area/estate which is "dodgy"?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DeWanderer

Hey guys, just wondering how has your feedback been on newtownmountkennedy. I see there's a dunnes which is handy. Wife and I are looking at a few places in wickow to move and this seems quite nice. Any particular area/estate which is "dodgy"?

Hi, I don't know much about Newtown, but I've a friend in work who commutes into South Dublin from Wicklow Town. He loves it there. Seaside, plenty of shops, restaurants and pubs on the main street. Also Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, SuperValu. Loads of schools and there's a cliff walk I was on with him a couple of weeks back. I've visited him a few times and I'm starting to consider selling up and moving down that way myself.

Newtown seems nice from visiting it a couple of times, but not much there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you're going to bounce ancient threads, don't bounce two at a time...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement