Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 15ARE05 15.6'' Ryzen AMD 16Gb DDR4 3200Mhz 256Gb SSD - €490

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Abiya041

Reviews are so bad for the lenovo website so I'm wondering of its safe to order a prebuilt desktop off them that says shipped in 1-2days.

Abiya041 wrote: »
    Reviews are so bad for the lenovo website so I'm wondering of its safe to order a prebuilt desktop off them that says shipped in 1-2days.

I bought a desktop from them a few months ago without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭romperstomper

magher wrote: »
    Got my 14" last week, anyone tried a cheap usb-c dock with hdmi, like a <€30 one on amazon?

don't you need thunderbolt in order to go from USB-C <-> HDMI ?

don't you need thunderbolt in order to go from USB-C <-> HDMI ?

Nope. USB-C has a speed of 10 Gbps which is enough to power a 4K monitor. Thunderbolt 3 is four times faster which can instead power two 4K monitors or one 5K monitor. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

USB-c is a connector shape not a data protocol.

The port and connectors have to be display over usb compatible for it to work. That doesn't have to mean thunderbolt but generally speaking companies that offer it do it using a thunderbolt chip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

So my attempt mentioned above has been a disaster.

Ordered 3 week ago with expected to ship within 8 working days and no sign of it so got onto support for them to say its out of stock actually and not available until october.And no sign of update from them to say by the way by the way weve had a problem(15 working days after the order was placed i had to chase up customer support multiple times).Rules me out dealing with lenovo(digital river) ever again the deals look good but being put on the long finger for months on end isnt worth the hassle for me personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭razorronan

razorronan wrote: »
    Ordered my IdeaPad 5 on the 18th of June. A month later (18th of July) I received notification that it had shipped with a link to UPS tracking service. Tracking service shows is took 6 days to get from China to Koeln, Germany. Logged in again today to find a message saying a damage has been reported and we will notify the sender. Had heard nothing from Lenovo/Digital River on this, so gave them a call. They said I can order a replacement or get a refund. Ordered a replacement for now but seriously considering cancelling at this stage as will likely be end of September before I receive it.

Update: Despite asking for a replacement I received an email from Lenovo/Digital River saying I will be refunded. Rang Digital River to ask why this was the case. They said if I want another one I will have to re-order myself online. Don't they want my money? Refund has yet to be received in my bank account also. Advice for anyone thinking of ordering, if your in a rush at all be very wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭romperstomper

Ordered on 26 July with 6 week ETA putting it at 13 Sept.
    email today has revised that date to 28th Oct for the 14"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Ordered 15" on 27th July. Received shipping notification, today. Currently in Shanghai, China. Earlier today tracking showed delivery for this Thursday, but that info has now disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Ordered 15" on 27th July. Received shipping notification, today. Currently in Shanghai, China. Earlier today tracking showed delivery for this Thursday, but that info has now disappeared.

Delivered midday, today.on a (very) quick look it seems really nice. Back in box for now, until I get a chance to use it.

Thanks a million to the OP, for a brilliant heads up, 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Any similar deals atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭magher

Got my 14" last week, anyone tried a cheap usb-c dock with hdmi, like a <€30 one on amazon?

Ending up going with this one as it has HDMI, LAN and PD https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083Z4NJPJ/

Been working fine with HDMI to one monitor, keyboard and mouse, and power delivery from charger.

Actually had audio/video glitches at first using a HDMI 1.3 cable, video would flicker static at first a few times before settling, which I thought bizarre seeing as its digital, turns out is most likely a HDCP syncing issue. Also Audio would scratch frequently, never righting itself. Changed to a another cheapo 'high speed' cable, solid as a rock since.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Ending up going with this one as it has HDMI, LAN and PD https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B083Z4NJPJ/

Been working fine with HDMI to one monitor, keyboard and mouse, and power delivery from charger.

Actually had audio/video glitches at first using a HDMI 1.3 cable, video would flicker static at first a few times before settling, which I thought bizarre seeing as its digital, turns out is most likely a HDCP syncing issue. Also Audio would scratch frequently, never righting itself. Changed to a another cheapo 'high speed' cable, solid as a rock since.

So presumably when you say "power delivery from charger", you plug your laptop charger into the USB-C ("PD") port on this, and then plug this into your laptop's USB C to power the laptop? Or is that PD port only for power output? In which case, how do you power the laptop?

p15574 wrote: »
    So presumably when you say "power delivery from charger", you plug your laptop charger into the USB-C ("PD") port on this, and then plug this into your laptop's USB C to power the laptop? Or is that PD port only for power output? In which case, how do you power the laptop?

Correct, the former

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Anyone know if the student/teacher discount can be used with the rewards store & newsletter discounts?

Also confirming working on old Thinkpad 13 2nd gen from 2017. So I think alot of these cheapo usb-c hubs are being conservative with their compatibility lists.

Also if anyones interested, for both laptops, a 2nd 1080p monitor works fine on laptop's HDMI, for a total of 3 screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Has anyone seen a similar deal to this lately? Looking for something in the €500 range.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

Tusky wrote: »
    Has anyone seen a similar deal to this lately? Looking for something in the €500 range.

No - I've been looking very regularly and Lenovo seem to have no stock of the good Ryzen Ideapads available. The option to customize the 15ARE05 and 14ARE05 models seems to be gone completely too. Word of the good deal must be out!

By any chance does anyone have an unused Lenovo Newsletter Discount Code from during the summer. When you signed up first you would have been given a code for 10% off. Just chancing it in case someone signed up at the time for one of the Lenovo's in this thread but never followed through on a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭lausp

sugarman wrote: »
    They only last for 30 days.

Just sign up again, use a temporary email address.

Or if you use Gmail just put a full stop anywhere in your email address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Leinster90

I too am looking for something in the 400-500 range and would appreciate if anyone knows a good deal, particularly coming up to Cyber Monday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭jenneyk19

you can't get 4000 in Ireland or uk at moment also look at 11th gen intel dell has some others should follow

watch out as Irish sellers list amd what they don't tell you its the old 3500 cpu

December and January you should see better cheaper laptops

https://www.laptopmag.com/news/amd-ryzen-4000-vs-intel-tiger-lake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

If you can get a 3500u laptop at a good price I'd probably buy it to be honest. When I mean a good price, I mean 400 or under.

They only last for 30 days.

Just sign up again, use a temporary email address.

Thanks for getting back to me. Apparently unused newsletter codes back in the Summer are still valid and can be used alongside another discount code.

If you sign up now, the newsletter code will not stack on top of another discount code.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,906 ✭✭✭dodzy

Codes never stacked, you could only ever use one. The previous trick with this deal was you could login into the Lenovo student/employee store where 10% discount was applied automatically and then use the additional 10% newsletter discount code on top of that.

I can 100% confirm this does not work anymore nor is the newsletter code still valid.
    That’s stacking where I come from, any way you slice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kody33

for:jenneyk19

for example
    https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/cart/bc6fb458-bc87-48c0-a046-15965de0823e?activeTabName=&transMessageFlag=true
    in stock lenovo.ie... Only in 14''
    Lenovo ideapad 5 14, ryzen 5 4500
    Price 630 euro, reward shop few euro down, final price 566 euro

kody33 wrote: »

for example
    https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/cart/bc6fb458-bc87-48c0-a046-15965de0823e?activeTabName=&transMessageFlag=true

Try this link :-
    https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/s-series/IdeaPad-5-14ARE05/p/81YM0012UK

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kody33

link dosen't work, what is there?

for example
    msmx5 wrote: »
    link dosen't work, what is there?

Kody, your link was to a shopping cart which only you can see, my link is to the same machine...or should be and just worked for me in a private window on a laptop.

IdeaPad 5 14 - Graphite Grey
    Part Number: 81YM0012UK

Web Price: € 629.99 inc. VAT (Before any discount links)
    • AMD Ryzen 5 4500U Processor ( 2.30GHz 3MB )
    • Operating System Windows: 10 Home in S mode
    • Display Type: 14.0"FHD TN AntiGlare LED Backlight 45% NTSC 1920x1080
    • Memory: 8.0GB DDR4-3200 DDR4 Onboard 3200MHz
    • Storage: 256GB SSD PCIe NVMe
    • Warranty: One year Depot or Carry-in
    • AC Adapter: 65W
    • Graphics: AMD Radeon Graphics
    • Battery: 3 Cell Li-Polymer
    • Bluetooth: Bluetooth Version 5.0 or above
    • Camera: 720P HD Camera (Privacy Shutter, bump camera) with Dual Microphone
    • Keyboard: 6 row English (UK)
    • Pointing Device: ClickPad
    • Wireless: Intel Wi-Fi 6 22260 2x2ax non-vPro

Unfortunately checking the link now the machine is currently our of stock but keep an eye on it as stock seems to come in and out quickly

• Advertisement

I order one of the ideapads back in the summer, but it got damaged by the courier and was returned to Lenovo before ever reaching me. It took me over 2 months to get a refund as a replacement wasn't a possibility.

Been looking for a laptop ever since. I final bit the bullet on this one
    https://www.box.co.uk/FA506IH-BQ027-ASUS-TUF-GAMING-A15-FA506IH-BQ027-(NO-OP_2913034.html

I ordered it on Wednesday (for £599) received it on Saturday. Delivery straight to my address from box.co.uk was £10. Like the Lenovo it has no operating system installed. It was a doddle to set up thanks to the advice on this thread. It has a Ryzen 5 4600H Hexa Core Processor and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB Graphics Card so can handle some light gaming also. Just thought I would share in case anyone was in the same situation as me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement