Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iron Studies Biochem

• 19-07-2020 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

I got results back from a blood test and was told over the phone by the nurse that all was pretty much ok, apart from cholesterol which was a bit high but I was aware of that anyway.

In looking through the results myself when I got them back I noticed that while my iron levels seem ok, the UIBC and Calculated TIBC were low and the Transferrin Sat was high. The reason I got the test done in the first place was because I was feeling quite tired all the time with low energy so I wanted to rule out anemia or haemochromatosis but these figures have me wondering now. Will give the Doc a call in the morning but in the meantime I was just wondering what people in the know thought of the results:

Iron 25
    UIBC 19 [L]
    Calculated TIBC 44 [L]
    Transferrin Sat 57 [H]

Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

bemak wrote: »
    I got results back from a blood test and was told over the phone by the nurse that all was pretty much ok, apart from cholesterol which was a bit high but I was aware of that anyway.

In looking through the results myself when I got them back I noticed that while my iron levels seem ok, the UIBC and Calculated TIBC were low and the Transferrin Sat was high. The reason I got the test done in the first place was because I was feeling quite tired all the time with low energy so I wanted to rule out anemia or haemochromatosis but these figures have me wondering now. Will give the Doc a call in the morning but in the meantime I was just wondering what people in the know thought of the results:

Iron 25
    UIBC 19 [L]
    Calculated TIBC 44 [L]
    Transferrin Sat 57 [H]

Appreciate any advice.

No harm in getting a genetic test for haemochromatosis

Advertisement