Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bird feeder question

Options
  • 14-08-2020 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of bird feeders in the back; one for fat balls (empty at this time of year) and one for seed.

We’re plagued with starlings around here and when I got the seed feeder last week they emptied it in a day so I’ve made a cage around it from chicken wire. Since then (2 days) nothing has gone near it, well, a couple of starlings have, but they don’t stay long because they can’t get to the holes.

Do you think the sparrows and tits will start using it again? It’s standard 1” chicken wire.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Maybe the holes are a bit on the small side? I have squirrel proof cages on my feeders and the holes on that are 5cm x 3cm. All the small birds like tits, finches and sparrows can get in but not larger birds like starlings or blackbirds.

I have a ground feeder for them with a cage over it but the holes on that are 5cm x 5cm, big enough to keep the pigeons and magpies out, but not the squirrel unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It’s got a built in squirrel cage, but it’s too close to the feeding ports so while the starlings can’t fit their bodies inside they can fit their heads and necks and reach the feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ah, OK. Don't really have that problem here. Bear in mind also that birds take a while to get used to new things, however small. I recently replaced my feeder pole, not the feeders themselves, and the number of visitors still hasn't got back to normal yet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I'd suggest experimenting a bit with larger holes - maybe cut the wire between a small number of the holes to make some big ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Juliet799

Opt for feeders that exclude starlings with mesh cages or similar barriers. Tube feeders with very short perches or clinging mesh designs are also less comfortable for starlings. Domed feeders can also help keep starlings away, as these birds aren't as agile to get underneath the dome.

• Advertisement
Advertisement